1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

BBC 2 'The Wenger years' 10:00pm 29/09/16

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PINKIE, Sep 29, 2016.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Should be a good watch.

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Was a good section, with Gabby Logan, Martin Keown, Ian Wright, John Hartson, Amy Lawrence and Piers Morgan discussing Wenger and the last 20 years.

Keown, Wright and Hartson looked like they wanted to beat the **** out of Piers Morgan when he was cussing Wenger <laugh>

3. Daveunited

Daveunited Well-Known Member

Gabby looked good as always

PINKIE likes this.
  4. Highburyal

Highburyal Cun.t Chops

Should have been longer the program...Keown was really pissed with Morgan and if it went on any longer he was going to thump him! Would have been good though twat hardly had anything nice to say, ungrateful twat.

5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

They should do a part II, Keown v Morgan, with fighting allowed.

Seriously though, when you've got Martin Keown and Ian Wright looking like they want to slap you, surely you must realise you're chatting **** ? Not piers though, he's made a career of it.

6. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

In fairness, whilst I wholeheartedly disagree with Piers Morgan's view on us needing to stay at Highbury, I found it hard to disagree with most of what he said about Wenger. Keown and Wright come across as being ardent Wenger loyalists and understandably so, but I don't feel like they were being entirely objective in their assessment of him. There's no denying Wenger revolutionised Arsenal and English football as a whole - he took these players to another level entirely - but he did inherit a good group of players from his predecessors. Obviously, Wenger made them into even better players and added/moulded some top quality to the nucleus that he already had, but him inheriting a good group of players does not diminish his achievements in his first 8/9 years.

My only main criticism of Wenger within that period of 1996-2005 is our poor European record. With the players at his disposal, it shouldn't have taken him 10 years to reach a Champions League final.

7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I thought piers was largely talking **** and running Wenger down unnecessarily, but the one thing I did agree with him over was the sale of RVP to Utd. Wenger should never have sanctioned that deal.

8. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

He makes his bread and butter out of being over-the-top and controversial. But he does have a major disliking towards Wenger and makes it his priority to criticise him at every step. The problem is when he does say something good, people won't want to hear it.

9. BrunelGooner

Perhaps on a few minor things he may have been criticising Wenger just for the sake of it, but I didn't see anything inherently wrong with his main argument - apart from what he said about Highbury, which was totally wrong. I don't think it's fair to say he was talking **** though, as a lot of Arsenal fans seem to voice the same opinion. I think you're judging the person rather than the content of what was said.

10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Not really. Although he's clearly a ****, the content of what he was saying was wide of the mark too. I agree he has a point, but the exaggerated way he expressed it rendered it defunct. For example, I agreed with him over the RVP sale to Utd, but he said Wenger should have been sacked for that alone. Completely over the top and sensationalist. He just came across as being a ****er.

TheBear likes this.

11. BrunelGooner

Okay. So sensationalist remarks aside, what exactly is it that you have an issue with?

Again - there were a lot of Arsenal fans who had very strong opinions about this and actually thought that Wenger should have left after he sold van Persie to Man United. Perhaps not straight away, but at the end of that season. I completely understood why people felt that way. There are probably people who still feel that way, to be honest. Does that make these people who agree with Piers ****ers as well? Because I think it's a legitimate point of view, even if I personally don't entirely think it was right.

12. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

The issue I have with Piers, is that whilst he makes some valid points, his solutions are completely ridiculous. If for example the club had done what he suggested and sacked Wenger when he sold RVP, where do you think that would have left us and how would it have benefited Arsenal.

Also on Highbury, fair enough, we all loved that old ground. And for those of us lucky enough to have stood on the old North bank terrace, they are cherished memories and special times. But time moves on. Again if we'd followed Piers' solutions and stayed at Highbury, we'd still be limited by 38k capacity and our revenues would have been massively impacted.

Again, although he didn't mention it last night, he has called for Wenger to be sacked and replaced by Harry ****ing Redknapp in the past. Do you see where I'm going with this ? He might reflect some similar sentiments to some Arsenal fans, but his solutions are barking. The fact that he says it all in a patronising and condescending way also makes him a **** in my book.

<ok>

13. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

Piers Morgan is typical of the modern celebrity football fan,i can guarantee he only became a "footy" fan when the premier league was formed in1992.What pisses me off is the way the pompous arrogant prick is portrayed by his friends in the media as the voice of all Arsenal supporters.The only reason why he was on that programme last night was because the BBC wanted someone controversial on it.

winifred122 likes this.
  14. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

15. BrunelGooner

Fair enough. I didn't actually know about the Harry Redknapp suggestion and obviously, I agree with you about Highbury. Thanks for the honest reply.

16. lazarus20000

Oi whats wrong wiv Arry, eez an onest fella!

please log in to view this image

17. lazarus20000

Greatest ever Wenger team, my pick http://bbc.in/2d3s2Gb. Only thing i would consider is swapping Bergkamp for Ozil, but for some reason Bergy is registered as a striker only, even though he can play behind the striker and be a playmaker. But happy to have Ozil too.

upload_2016-10-1_11-31-45.png

18. winifred122

winifred122 Well-Known Member

I think this is a good pick. What a squad of talent to chose from- this eleven has no room for Lehman, Silvinho, Gilberto, Fabregas Koscielny, Edu, Overmars, Bergkamp, Anelka, Freddie and quite a few others. What talent we have witnessed over the twenty years. Then again, there was always Stepanovs, Senderos, Addbayor and a few more donkeys as well. What entertainment Eboue offered as well.

19. lazarus20000

Agreed, to leave out the likes of Bergkamp, Fabs, RVP, Overmars, Silvinho, Edu, Freddie and Anelka was hard (i probably missed a few too). You could probably make two great teams if you wanted to.

winifred122 likes this.