1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Battle for no.1

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Simon Grayson says Jason Steele will have to fight it out with Robbin Ruiter for the number one jersey, if the Dutchman joins on a permanent deal.Ruiter was excellent again at Glanford Park in last night’s friendly, just hours after Steele signed a four-year deal.

Grayson confirmed he will sit down with Ruiter’s representatives to see if a deal can be struck.

He said: “He [Robbin] has impressed, he’s been very composed and done everything required.

“He’s made big saves when he’s had to, he’s been very good. We’ll analyse the situation, talk to his representatives and see if there’s a deal to be done.

“I think we were always looking to bring two in, with Jordan and Vito going out.

“You need to carry good goalkeepers. If we get another in, with Robbin, that might allow Max (Stryjek) to go out on loan.

“Robbin has come in and done very well so we’ll see if there’s a deal to be done.”

Steele joined Sunderland in a deal thought to be worth around £500,000 but Grayson said that is no guarantee that he will be first-choice for the upcoming season.

He said: “Neither. That’s how it always has to be, even last year at Preston I started with Anders Lindegaard from Manchester United and after seven games brought in a free transfer from Fleetwood [Chris Maxwell] who was one of the best players we had.

“Competition for places, whether goalkeepers or whatever, that’s what it is all about.

“It’s no secret we’ve needed a goalkeeper, Jason knows the Championship and what it is like, he’s a local lad who needs no introduction to the area and he’s a good acquisition for us.”

Grayson also said Lewis Grabban would bring much-needed versatility and experience up front.

The 29-year-old joins on a season-long loan.

Grayson said: “With Lewis Grabban you’re getting an experienced Championship striker who knows the division.

“He could quite easily have stayed with Bournemouth but swapped one end of the country for the other.

“That shows a good attitude and willingness to get back playing and his experience will be vital as we’re a young team at the top end of the pitch.

“He’s versatile, can play out wide or as a straight number nine, and he’s got goals in him, that’s the main reason we brought him.”

2. Munkyheed

Munkyheed Active Member

the more i read Graysons comments the more confident i am feeling that the club management is in good hands.

he certainly seems to have a clear idea of which way he wants the club to go.

fingers crossed !

JammySAFC likes this.
  3. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Unlike our previous incumbent who didn't seem to have any idea at all how to organise a football club.
    Grayson could make a very pleasing change indeed.
    On a slightly differing note I was talking to a very aged lifetime Preston fan yesterday and he's fuming that we were able to lure Grayson away from his club.
    Reckons we've landed an excellent manager and early signs are promising. Happy days ahead?

Munkyheed, Dorset and Vincemac like this.
  4. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

Robbin Ruiter
    the lad is mint give him a month he will be as good as Pickford and even surpass him in a short time, it makes sense to make him ours after one season he will be worth more than Pickford who i liked a lot, this young guy Ruiter pronounced router will be immense

5. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

He's 30.

If he ends up worth more than Pickford I'll eat a roasting hot chod toastie.

6. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Come on mate if you're going to make a bet you should pick something you don't do everyday for a forfeit.

Charley Farley and Nordic like this.
  7. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

I'm off carbs atm.

8. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Same here, trying anyway. No chod toasties for now.

9. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Yours or your lasses?

10. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

He's having his medical now apparently

20506972_328471344274871_8964991153703427682_o.jpg

11. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Must be testing his ability to use a phone. Good news that he's picked us, he had a couple of offers I believe.

12. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Turned down the bench in the Prem to play, and that's exactly the attitude we need.

13. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

If there's a picture of him dropping his phone, bench him on Friday night!

14. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

Fantastic attitude

15. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

Grayson has confirmed he's had his medical but he's not likely to play on Friday.

16. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Can't understand that, if we sign McCormack and he's got a chance of playing then why not a keeper whose played some pre season with us, strange if this works out.

Nads likes this.
  17. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Don't think it's a matter of who is eligible. More who has been signed to be first choice.

18. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Ruiter deal done according to twatter, 2 year contract

19. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

20. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Sunderland have completed the signing of Robbin Ruiter on a free transfer.

The Dutch stopper, who has signed a two-year deal, arrives following a successful trial at the club, during which he started and impressed in games against Bradford City and Scunthorpe United.

Ruiter becomes the second goalkeeper to sign this summer, with Jason Steele also putting pen to paper following the departures of Jordan Pickford and Vito Mannone.

And speaking to safc.com, he revealed he can't wait to get started.

“I’m very pleased to be here because I had a great couple of days training with the team and played some good games, so I really wanted to sign and pleased I’m finally a Sunderland player.

“From the moment I stepped through the door everything was so professional. It’s such a big club and for me it was always a dream to play in England, so if a club like Sunderland comes and asks if you want to sign it’s a big chance.”

The 30-year-old has vast experience having risen through the ranks at FC Volendam before making his first-team debut in November 2009.

After impressing with the Dutch outfit, Ruiter moved to Eredivisie side FC Utrecht in 2012 and he immediately endeared himself to the home support, with a standout display on his debut against Feyenoord catching the headlines.

The goalkeeper enjoyed five successful seasons at the Stadion Galgenward, during which he made 138 appearances as Utrecht qualified for the UEFA Europa League on two occasions.

The player could be eligible for Friday night’s season opener against Derby County, subject to international clearance being received.

Brian Storm likes this.