1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Battered Rams

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by BillysStatue, Jan 13, 2017.

1. BillysStatue

BillysStatue Well-Known Member

Breathtaking ... that really is the only way to describe the team's performance tonight ... key players missing, yet every single player in a White shirt stepped up and delivered ... I for one was concerned that Leeds were facing a big defeat, specially when you consider the exact same Derby starting eleven took WBA apart in the FA Cup on Saturday ... however, Monk's boys had a very different view

Derby were destroyed, and I mean destroyed .. the passing and movement from Leeds at times was sublime, and you had to remind yourself that you were in fact not sitting in the Santiago Bernebeau watching that other team in White ... it was a sensational performance that announced Leeds United as serious promotion contenders, and not just play offs ... the significance of the result and the performance can not be underestimated

Firstly, Leeds as a club and squad will take huge confidence from the way they dominated one of the favourites for promotion, and yet this team is still a distance from realising its full potential

Secondly, Derby will be on the coach home wondering what the fcuk just happened, and they will know that it's going to take something special to finish above Leeds this season ... they may well find that results take a dip as they try and recover their confidence after such a humbling defeat ... McClaren will have his work cut out now, and he may well have to wave promotion goodbye and cheer on his beloved Leeds United instead

Finally, Leeds have sent out a message to the rest of the division that they mean business ... Newcastle and Brighton will know that they will have to focus and lift their performances if they are going to hang onto the top two spots, because a serious contender has joined the fray ... Jaap Stam will be very concerned now, and will be having nightmares about men in White shirts storming the Madjeski

Monk has shown he is exactly the right man for Leeds United, a perfect fit for the club ... he has taken a very toxic club and not only turned it into a very positive place, but also a place where everyone is driven to deliver results ... the last time we saw a Leeds team play football of this quality was when we watched Barcelona struggle to a 1-1 draw at Elland Road ... it is incredible to think that the last team to score a goal at ER was Newcastle, way back in November

Leeds are flying, we have a squad where everyone contributes, and Monk clearly has developed a dressing room where trust, respect and togetherness is what matters ... let's savour this, we have a fantastic manager, a team that on tonight's performance would more than hold their own in the Prem, and a new (almost) owner who wants to build something great ... these are special days, and the incredible Leeds fan base can finally look up ... MOT!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Billy, you are always the glass three-quarters full guy on here and tonight Bud, nobody can argue with you. The fact that the first response to your post was a like from Chippy says it all.

We took them to the cleaners, end of.

MOT.

Farsleyexile likes this.
  3. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

I've been known to usually have a fairly full glass too Davy. A big plus for me is, if we fail to get autos, we're in a great position to make playoffs. Usually I wouldn't fancy our chances in those but I think this Leeds team would be unstoppable in the playoffs

4. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Be feckin' happy to take our chances if need be Eire.

And imagine the Wembley meet-up - Sniffer, Old Sea Dog, Leeds Lover, Elland....

Farsleyexile and Marcos Barber like this.
  5. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

Matey, we're all euphoric but....

No, it's completely justified, if we hadn't had a rubbish start we'd be top two and confident.

I'm pretty sure at 10pm on 9th December Brighton and Newcastle were top 2 and confident. Not so sure they will be now if they watched that :emoticon-0148-yes:

6. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

I see what you did there, quality <laugh>

7. davy

davy Well-Known Member

Feck, I Missed out Alf Hookam! Doh!

8. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Billy, love you're post but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Bloody long way to go, but a team full of confidence. Let's not shoot our mouths off till we achieve something tangible.

9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

The last time I felt confident was the back to back season where we were in the top 6 all season and indeed briefly top on Xmas Day. Bates didnt give Grayson cash to bring in help in the January window and as we know we ended up 7th, then went backwards until now. We've only just been in the top 6 a couple of weeks, however the season we failed we did fook all after Xmas and thats what killed us, but since Xmas this time we look great. How many clean sheets because dont think we had many under Grayson we played to score more than them as we were shyte at the back. this time we have options across the back and middle, but are a bit short up top, and lets not forget Green in this as I suspect many will now agree he is better than Ankogren.

not seen a team completely destroy the opposition like did against Derby for years. If only Bartley had scored one of the his chances I think we may have had 5 or 6 because it was deserved. We need another couple of faces, we need Monk on a new contract and we need the same support weve had all season. happy days

Leedsoflondon and Farsleyexile like this.
  10. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Top 2 is still an ask & we'll need a bit of luck. Playoffs should now be a given. Stuffing Derby, a club that have spent a fortune on their squad should send out a message; even more given that we didn't even have our best team out.

Will now be interesting to see if we can bring in a couple. Will also be interesting to see if Taylor signs an extension

Farsleyexile likes this.

11. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

We dont need taylor as the last few games has ptoved so I hope we sell him and invest the cash in two or three bits if quality to bolster the whole team.

12. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Fair point Chippy, but he could still do a lot of damage as our LB

13. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

One article via a twitter link but can't find it again now is stating Taylor has been offered a new 4 year contract.

On the team/squad/Monk front - There is only one thing or two people that can knock us off track and that is the two Italian owners.

I have a horrible feeling they are not going to Back Monk this window, Cellino has been saying new signings can damage the team, it has to be the right person, while I agree what is he basing that on, the signings requested by Monk and Clotet or the likes of Adryan, Bellusci, Bamba, Sloth....

Monk has given them a shopping list of sorts, we are half way through this transfer window and it's all rather quiet. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with what we have got, Monk however has made it clear we need a couple of new faces, he was backed 100% at the start of the season, I will not understand why he isn't this window if nothing materialises.

14. Chippy / Glory

The current squad is good enough and big enough. Every coach would like the luxury of a few more to pick from but we dont need it. You said before that signing up the loanees would be a good window, well when pontus signs on the pitch at the forest game to give rad yet more pr pics that will have been done. Why the gloom?

Farsleyexile likes this.
  15. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Just my humble opinion re the transfer situation. Rad has stated he has no knowledge yet of running a club and has not put any money in for transfers. Also confirmed, although been kept abreast of transfer activity for past five months, its been Cellino calling the shots. Based on that I believe anyone coming in this month will likely be a loan to buy as thats been Cellinos favoured method and over past six months, has been very successful. Monk has asked for two players to strengthen meaning theyll have to be as good or better than what we already have. Signing those on a loan basis in January will be notoriously difficult and likely a slow process. Im assuming therefore, signings will be late in January or not at all. Refreshing to read Mightys comments re Rads record in Italy and being well respected.

16. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Don't give us the "commentators curse" Boggers, nothing's a given in this league :emoticon-0127-lipss

17. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No Gloom and if we secure everyone and keep Taylor yes good business. My point is Monk wants to recruit, lots of people thought the arrival of Rad meant an injection of funds and a push on, I don't see that happening and at this very moment in time I don't feel excited about Rad, I feel a little concerned about him if I'm honest

18. Chippy / Glory

We dont need an injection... Lets see what happens. Squad is playing with confidence and winning. More than that there is a spirit in the camp i havent seen sinve oleary wrote his tawdry book. You would have to see the p,ayers after final whistle to know what i mean. We are a team.

Go read your input in the sack monk thread...
    I think i identified the only complaint we could have in my first post on that thread.

19. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yep I was very wrong, my only comfort is I haven't been wrong even half the amount of time you have been.

20. Chippy / Glory

The scale of that one dwarves all mine combined.