1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Barnsley v Leeds Utd match thread

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 18, 2017.

?

SCORELINE:Barnsley v Leeds Utd

Poll closed Jan 21, 2017.
  1. 0-0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1-1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2-2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 3-3 or higher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Barnsley ny 1

14.3%
  6. Leeds by 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Barnsley by 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Leeds by 2

57.1%
  9. Barnsley by 3 or more

14.3%
  10. Leeds by 3 or more

14.3%
  1. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Evening WJ. Hope you enjoyed the pickling. You're right in that I haven't done a frame by frame analysis of the goal but personally I find that counterproductive as it makes judgements appear worse so prefer to view in 'real time'. My view is still the same, a bloody well timed and directed header into the corner of the net, out of reach of the goalkeeper (a bit like Mustafi for Arsenal yesterday- watched with my son).
    I did misread your comments / opinion about how Silvestri would have got there due to being younger and more agile as a preference about who should be in goal. Don't get me wrong, I know green has a major rick in him at anytime but think he deserves more credit for being a major part of the best defence we've had I years. If I've learnt anything from that goal it's don't give away needles free kicks just before halftime inviting pressure into the box and if you do, mark up quicker.

Chippy / Glory likes this.
  2. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Just to close on this, I have given Green credit where it's due this season, btw, and I would advocate him retaining the jersey for the remainder of the season (unless he has a major meltdown). For better or worse, Monk has decided who his #1 'keeper is, & as Jammy says, it would be madness to replace him mid-season.

Fingers crossed that it's the right decision. :D

Marcos Barber and Leedsoflondon like this.
  3. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed let's hope every decision he makes is the right decision <laugh>

Marcos Barber and Whitejock like this.
  4. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

In general, and no fingers pointed,

I find it interesting the divide that is between Green and Silvestri................Monk picks Green as his number 1, personally, I think there's more to it than that, however,

Silvestri has had good games in cup comps, a brilliant game against Norwich, yet against Liverpool he was blamed for letting in goals, even though he pulled off some great saves to deny liverpool, shots that Green imo would struggle to stop.

Green however, has had a number of howlers, made regular mistakes and fumbles and he's still in goal as number 1 choice, something doesn't add up.

Some do criticise Green for his howlers, but also say he should stay as number 1 choice, again, something isn't adding up as it should.........:emoticon-0148-yes:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  5. Josh-LUFC

Josh-LUFC Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll find many people agreeing with you on how bad Green is though and I think you'll find even less people agreeing with you about how good Silvestri is. From my point of view, we certainly don't have the perfect goalkeeper at the club and its incredibly unlikely that we ever will especially while in the championship. To me, it then comes down to thinking about what strengths you would like your goalkeeper to have and coming up with ways to lower the possibilities that their weaknesses are exposed. Silvestri is a better shot stopper, don't think many people would disagree (thats not to say Green hasn't made some good saves this season) but its pretty much the only area imo. he is a better goalkeeper.

None of the goals conceded against Barnsley I would say "blame the keeper" because simply, the first two goals we should never let a striker get an effort on goal from where they were, the third is a very good freekick and we shouldn't be conceding free kicks around that area. Yes you could say the keeper could've done better but the striker is always favourite from those positions. It was a lack of defensive command more than anything that led to us losing that game, something Pontus brings in abundance and was sorely missed.

ristac likes this.
  6. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

"I'd love to see Silvestri being afforded the opportunity that Monk's given to Green - to regularly play behind our best 2 CBs".

I've said that on here a number of times, wondering how Green would perform without that shield in front of him.

Found out against Barnsley, didn't we?

LeedsLover likes this.
  7. LeedsLover

As usual I respect your comments Josh.

You started off by speaking for virtually everyone on here, meaning you're saying that the biggest majority would agree with you.

When it comes to talking / debating about keepers, it's a harder subject than it would be talking / debating about outfield players, it is easier for anyone who's played keeper for a considerable length of time to talk / debate about keepers, namely because they themselves have been in similar positions during their playing career.

You mentioned that you didn't think Green was to blame for any of the goals v Barnsley. Positioning for a keeper is everything, be it for corners / crosses to back passes and shots, there are no players behind him to rectify any mistakes or pick up the slack. Good positioning and bad positioning can make the difference between a fingertip save, or letting a goal in, the same laws apply to outfield players in their positions.

Looking at the first Barnsley goal you'll see where Green is stood, right next to his left hand post, that left a big gap to his right for a header, and it happened. You'll also see that Green got his hand to it but couldn't stop it, it's easier for a keeper to move forward than it is to backpedal or hop sidewards. Then look at the similar second header that followed, where's green stood?

Barnsley's second goal was a good goal, no doubt about that, but Green is stood 1 yard to far back. The striker telegraphed his shot by going around Coyle, Green should've took 1 step forward to narrow angle on each side. You'll also see how Green dived up and over rather than at full stretch sideways.

Third goal was a brilliant freekick, which was once again telegraphed it was going to be a left footer. Look where Green is stood behind the wall, he can't see the ball anyway and is a yard too far to his left, then look at his animated two arms outstretched attempted save, how many 10 yr old kids have you seen trying to save a ball like that, most of'em, it's a basic kids attempted save.

I understand that you and others may disagree, that's ok, there's no animosity.

A good coach once told me "if you're diving for a ball and it goes in, it means A, you were out of position and B, you took off too late.

Highlights

Regarding Green being better than Silvestri being better than Green, the link below are stats on both of'em, make your own mind up.

Click on a player's name in the squad, then click on the summary tab, then click on the history tab, you'll also see strengths and weaknesses. Remember some people put in a lot of work to come up with these stats.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/81109/Show/Marco-Silvestri

No malice Josh......:emoticon-0148-yes:

8. LeedsLover

Totally agree Jock....:emoticon-0148-yes:

9. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Perfectly summed up IMHO

When Green allows a goal in, it is over analysed, is he an inch out of position, he should have done this he should have stood here.... Come on, an Ex England professional being advised by armchair fans. Silvestre "would have saved it" ludicrous statement, you couldn't possible be sure of, Silvestre allows a goal in and a certain poster stays away for a day or two, Green allows a goal in we get an essay...

10. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Maybe we should hope Green and Silvestri get injured and that might solve the problem

11. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We nearly all know we need better than both, I agree with Josh on his summing up, if we lose or concede a goal you just know Green is going to be picked to pieces. Bartley the other week against Derby missed an open goal, it looked easier to score but hardly a word said, Green concedes three very well taken goals and it's an inquisition

12. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Wouldnt have been an inquisition about Green either if wed scored four and won I suspect

13. Paul Hopkins

Paul Hopkins Well-Known Member

How anyone can blame Green for the goals against Barnsley is beyond me....anyone would think people only do it to back up their agenda. Green plays every week because he has been consistently good and he organises his defence properly whereas Silvestri doesn't at all.

Silvestri may be a better shot stopper but as we saw against Cambridge, half of these end up being palmed back in to play and I've lost count how many goals we've conceded the past few years because of this.

Do we need better if we get promoted? Yes, 100% but Rob Green is our best goalkeeper and is more than capable in the Championship. You would struggle to find many people who would seriously want to drop him for Silvestri.

14. patb

patb Well-Known Member

we have got to remberwhen monk picks his keeper it is done under advice from his coaches and his playing staff in this case his defence bartley pontus and co just might be saying that THEY prefer green behind them cos of his organising and therfore feel more comfortable and that is something silvestri dos'nt have at the mo but he has age on his side and therefore is more agile while on the bench he can watch and learn.

ristac likes this.
  15. LeedsLover

And yet last season you and others picked Silvestri to pieces when he let goals in, with respects of course, works both ways Ristac; if you and others can analyse Silvestri, others can analyse Green.

For the record Ristac, I don't stay away for a day or two when Silvestri lets a goal in, please use my name when you want to direct something at me, I do have a name, I use yours, please be respectfull and at least use mine..........I thank you from the bottom of my heart.........:emoticon-0148-yes:

16. w.c.dukenfieldesq

w.c.dukenfieldesq Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could get to Elland Road sometime and give the goalkeepers the benefit of your advice

17. LeedsLover

But we didn't score 4 and we didn't win Eire, we lost 3-2 because imo Green was caught off guard, maybe the stats are right, Greens weakness is his lack of concentration.

18. LeedsLover

Maybe you could come with me WC and give the outfielders the benefit of your advice, we'd make a good team.....:emoticon-0148-yes:

19. w.c.dukenfieldesq

w.c.dukenfieldesq Well-Known Member

I have never felt qualified to give advice to a professional

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  20. Paul Hopkins

Paul Hopkins Well-Known Member

What I don't understand is why people think Monk would pick players that are so bad that its apparently been their fault for every goal we have conceded this season.

If Silvestri was good enough he would be playing every week, simple as that.

Leedsoflondon and patb like this.