1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Barnsley v Leeds Utd match thread

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 18, 2017.

?

SCORELINE:Barnsley v Leeds Utd

Poll closed Jan 21, 2017.
  1. 0-0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1-1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 2-2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 3-3 or higher

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Barnsley ny 1

14.3%
  6. Leeds by 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Barnsley by 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Leeds by 2

57.1%
  9. Barnsley by 3 or more

14.3%
  10. Leeds by 3 or more

14.3%
  1. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

My gloom is all about tbat corrupt **** still been involved and pkssibly pulling yet another stroke to stay involved.

2. lifecheshirewhite

Coopers not too bad,but seems to have a problem finishing a game ATM.unless he's 100% fit we need another.

3. lifecheshirewhite

Is that Polish for possibly :police:

Farsleyexile likes this.
  4. Chippy / Glory

Hoho

5. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

Only 2 months till article 50 - then we can get rid of him and his ilk once and for all <ok>

Shame we won't be able to send him to Spain now.

lifecheshirewhite likes this.
  6. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

WJ. Always enjoy you're posts but find this way off the mark with the criticism of Green. First goal was a a very well placed header into the corner, thought your assessment nonsense with all due respect. Also found it a little hypocritical as you dug out Marcos in showing no faith in Monk regarding Duke, he (Monk) also prefers Green to Silverstre, and we have no way of knowing if he (Silvestri) would have saved any of the goals despite your opinion he would because he's younger. We've just got to suck it up. Did we really think we would win every game from now until the end of the season? Bad day at the office against a team that wanted our scalp. Hopefully the young lads have learned from this and we move on.

7. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Agreed that the criticism of Green was harsh but WJ observation about his agility and movement is spot on. There is however no argument for replacing him at this stage of the season. We've been doing well and you don't upset moral by jettisoning your ever present keeper based on he's not perfect.

As you say this is now very much a test of the young players that we have.

Can they bounce back on Wednesday ?

8. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

Blooming well hope so - long way to come if I end up feeling like last night on the drive home :emoticon-0101-sadsm

wakeybreakyheart and Jammy 07 like this.
  9. Jammy 07

Hat's off to you sir for making the long midweek pilgrimage.

I'm taking a mate who is a life long WHU fan but he came to the Derby game and wants to come again as he enjoyed it so much.

10. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

They have done after previous defeats, and gone on long unbeaten runs. No reason why we can't again. If we can take a positive, the team now know they cannot be complacent against anyone in this league <ok>

11. Jammy 07

It does add extra pressure though.

Also we didn't have to rearrange the Forest game for this week. Would it have been wiser to wait and hope to have some of our injured players back and also maybe have signed the much mentioned 2 more ?

12. Chippy / Glory

Its forest and if we cant batter them no matter who we put out we dont deserve play off football... They are woeful.....end of,

13. Jammy 07

I RE
    Don't think we've battered anyone at home for a while so a win, any win will do just fine.

14. Chippy / Glory

They are a poor side espcially away from home. Play half as well as Derby and its a three goal winning margin imo.

15. brisbane-lion

brisbane-lion Well-Known Member

Pkssibly? Yep, I stunderand thet. An I ant got no scotch left. Gin maykes me smell funny, toooo.
    'Ello, crips.

16. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Sorry for late reply - been offline pickling myself.

LoL, think you have to re-read my post, with all due respect back to you. You haven't taken it in. I'm also guessing you didn't do a frame by frame analysis. Try it whilst reading my assessment. If you find any detail incorrect, let me know & I'll look at it again, however I do't think I'll have to. I spent 2 hours going over it again & again. I did criticise Green, and accurately too, I believe. I did not pick him out for being the cause of all 3 goals. In fact, read again & you'll see I absolved him for the 3rd. Someone else on here reckoned that Green didn't set up the wall correctly, but I actually disagree with that. As I wrote earlier, if Bartley had behaved correctly, it would have hit him. Again, on the frame by frame that it quite clear. Green did his job correctly. Speaking of Bartley, he, like Green, contributed to 2 goals being scored against us. I've been as harsh on him as I have on Green, but no-one has picked that up. He is also one of MY favourites.

LoL & Jammy, as for Silvestri, I did not advocate Monk replacing Green with him - I simply mentioned that I was confident that Silvestri would have saved the first. So there was no hypocrisy - I acknowledge that Monks selects his best team based on performances on the training pitch, which we are not privy to. If Doukara was having the stinker that Marcos advocated, I'm sure Monk would have hooked him. He didn't. Personally, I though Hernandez was a candidate for the hook. Not just for his poor second half performance, as we all know that he has a bit of magic in him that can appear at any time. No, it was more for the fact that he looked completely out on his feet for the last 10-15 mins IMO (which is not surprising given the chasing he did, I might add).

Jammy, I agree that we should not have radical changes at this stage of the season - and permanently changing your 'keeper is radical. Unless essential, of course!

Jammy 07 likes this.
  17. w.c.dukenfieldesq

w.c.dukenfieldesq Well-Known Member

If we had to make split second decisions like the players have to do I think most people would make more mistakes.

18. Jammy 07

Yep agree with all that WJ.

I'll ask you a question if I may,

This game (Barnsley) seemed perfect to me for Phillips to play. Now I know you're a big fan of Phillips so I'd be interested to know would you have changed a winning team on a horses for courses basis ?

Personally I would have played Phillips instead of Vieria and also Dallas instead Doukara to make us more solid.

19. Whitejock

Quite agree, but there are ways of avoiding a lot of the mistakes.

Big Jack, when he was a manager, drilled his players remorselessly, especially the defence. He believed that you can condition thinking so that instant reactions can be expected in certain situations. It worked!

There are also brutal lessons that can be given in a similar manner. For example, if a player is "feart o' the ba'", as we'd say in Scotland (scared of being hit by the ball), like Bartley was, causing their 3rd goal, old-style managers would stand him against the wall & invite the team to whack balls at him until he stopped flinching. Sometimes took a few weeks, but oddly enough, it used to work. The manager would prolly get the jail these days if he tried it. :D

20. Whitejock

Interesting question, actually. I was thinking about the same thing.

We went through a spell of alternating them, which I think is a sensible idea, given that they're both young, and we have the luxury of being blessed in that position. After the accolade he got after Derby, Viera was under a lot of pressure to repeat his performance, and crumbled. This was an ideal time to alternate him out, or play O'Kane, if fit. (If you're fit enough for the bench, you're fit enough to start IMO). I do worry that this disappointment will affect Viera's confidence. I think Monk made a mistake on this one, but hindsight is easy. I think he was perhaps caught a little in the optimism wave that washed over all of us. One thing's for sure, Monk would have got pelters if he had dropped him. You can count on Leeds fans for that. It's one to draw a line under & move on, with fingers crossed. And I have a feeling O'Kane will be back on Wednesday!

As for Doukara, Monk clearly had a game plan that included him. I have no idea what that was or why. To be fair to him, he is more of an attacking option than Dallas, and I'm guessing we were set up to 'attack, attack, attack', only someone forgot to tell Barnsley. So he was probably the right choice for the game plan, but as we all know, it didn't work. Again in hindsight, perhaps Dallas should have started to shore up the defensive duties, but it's a bit of a moot point. We failed in so many areas that one change was never going to alter the team performance.

LeedsLover likes this.