1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Banned

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by trundles left foot, Nov 1, 2016.

1. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

seabreeze, Stumpy, Kifflom! and 3 others like this.
  2. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Why ask for permission in the first place? **** FIFA and wear the poppies.

3. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

I agree with the pair of you TLF & Valley!

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  4. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

As Taff.

Fuk 'em

Kifflom! and ValleyGraduate12 like this.
  5. swan_and_only

swan_and_only Moderator
    Forum Moderator

I agree that political bias shouldn't be a part of football but IMO wearing a poppy isn't political.

6. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

I dont get the political bit.... I would like to hear their reason for saying its political

7. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Totally agree, what are they going to do sweet FA!!

8. Kwame B

Kwame B Well-Known Member

the thing is it's easy enough to say forget FIFA and just go ahead and wear them anyway. But we have to remember this is FIFA we are talking about here. I can imagine the sanction for wearing poppy armband would be somewhere along the lines of disqualification from the next 3 or tournaments!
    Don't forget this is the organisation that initially threw Cameroon out of World Cup qualification for wearing sleeveless shirts but will happily hand out pittance fines for racist chanting or even 'fans' being out of control and causing games to be abandoned.

9. swanseaandproud

We cant say Fcuk them we must fight the decision in the proper way.....If they deem it political then what are Celtic and rangers scarf's.....I know its a poor example but it's an example after all.....The poppy represents all the blood spilt with peoples lives in all wars fought by our country and nothing political whatsoever....

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  10. Bob the slob

Bob the slob Well-Known Member

I've helped sell poppies almost from birth either in mother's arms or pram then carrying the box, putting the leaf and foil on pins ready for sale and then out on my own knocking on doors. I'm wearing one now. I support the British Legion and everything they do for our military personnel and their families when in difficulty.
    But I also support FIFA's ban.
    FIFA has to look at a world wide picture and while it seems appropriate to us to wear poppies it isn't in other parts of the world. I'm sure indignant Mail readers would kick up a stink if FIFA allowed the wearing of insignia that we are less comfortable with but is the norm elsewhere.
    FIFA also has to protect players. If an individual player belongs to a group that disapproves of war (pacifists) and refuses to wear poppies should they be exposed to the glare of the media? Not many have openly stated their disapproval in the way McClean has (WBA)

'West Bromwich Albion midfielder James McClean has said he will not wear a poppy against Manchester United at Old Trafford this weekend. He also refused to wear the symbol while at his former clubs Wigan and Sunderland.
    In West Brom's matchday programme, McClean said he would "wear it every day of the year" if it only represented those who died in WW1 and WW2.
    However, he said the poppy represented all the conflicts the UK had been involved in, and because "of the history where I come from in Derry, I cannot wear something that represents that". In 1972, 14 unarmed civilians died after members of the Parachute Regiment opened fire on a protest march through the city.'
    Given he plays for a Birmingham it is not surprising he's been on the end of some very nasty responses.
    This is just another case of abusing the poppy and our servicemen / women for political ends.

seabreeze likes this.

11. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

For me the poppy symbolises the sacrifices of ww1 and ww2, not the wars after tbh.

Stumpy likes this.
  12. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was about one of our posters. <laugh>

The poppy is about our humanity, not politics, and these days it represents blood spilled on all sides in all conflicts, whether those conflicts are justified or not. Well it does for me, anyway.

It reminds us that real people, with real blood, died for a cause that may have been valiant or worthless. Either way, they died before their time and should be remembered because it reminds us of sacrifice, whether necessary or not.

McClean should be sacked (he won't be) and made to play football for the rest of his days against the ****house wall of a back street tenement on the Falls Road. Cretin.

13. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

I like your view TLF <ok>

Wearing a poppy represents a freedom of choice. Some people wont wear a poppy and have their own reasons not to and I respect their rite to be free to choose, as I respect that same rite for people who chose to wear one.

FIFA is simply an administrative body, an institution currently suffering with delusions of grandeur and is over stepping its reach and remit. It wants to run roughshod over our laws and celebrations that make up UK life. In that respect it is more or less the same as the EU who wants us desperately to pucker up and do what we're told because it thinks it owns us. I don't recall losing any wars in Europe, so I don't see how they think that, but they do don't they?

Freedom of choice, like freedom of speech, is not arbitrary but FIFA, and the EU I might add, seem to think it is. Denying people their rite to choose freely, is the same as denying them their rite to speak freely, or to vote freely. I personally would like to make my choices in free and fair society that has been made by the bodies and institutions that I have chosen and elected to act on my and my countries behalf, not some poxy administration in charge of football.

FIFA is just a bunch of bung merchants and has no rite to interfere in our culture or deny us our choice. They're quite happy to turn a blind eye to violence and racism in Eastern block countries but they want to deny our choice to wear a poppy. Sums up the gutless cu-institution-nts up doesn't it. Even if they say no our governing bodies must say yes.

Thinking on a bit, if the poppy is deemed political by FIFA then does that mean that supporters who attend FIFA sanctioned games are also banned from wearing them in the same way Welsh supporters can't fly the Flag of St David at the Principality Stadium??

trundles left foot and Kifflom! like this.
  14. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Regarding McClump just another year with the same old bile spouted , I wonder if he's so supportive of those who were murdered in his faiths name whilst commemorating Remembrance day in Enniskillen.

Newportswan and neveroffsidereff like this.
  15. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

I wear my poppy with pride, and feel very supportive of the appeal......but......FIFA are doing the right thing because sometimes you have to draw a line. Otherwise other stuff spills over and really complicates things. Having the PM commenting on it already, well you'd think she'd have no spare time with all the crap on her plate!

16. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Its fine for people not to wear a poppy but its their choice whether they do or they don't, I support their rite to choose.

Its our rite to freedom of choice which is being undermined by banning the poppy which, imo, is very wrong.

Like Freedom of Speech people should have the rite to full, unhindered and free expression. Its not about whether you like what they say or not, its about the fact that they, like you and me, are free to speak and are not banned from doing so.

17. ----HistoryRepeating----

But just think what other things people have the right to wear, that's what needs to be considered.

18. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

Well if you're a Christian in this country then you have no right to wear a crucifix especially if you work for BA .

19. swanseaandproud

Some sponsors names can be offensive but nothing is said about that across the football world, To take offence of a simple poppy that is nothing more than showing respect and remembering those who gave their life so we can have ours is disgraceful and petty minded.......The Poppy should be allowed to be worn during the month of November and people should get a life if they take offence.....

Stumpy likes this.
  20. ----HistoryRepeating----

I love that you feel so strongly about it, but you have to realise others feel as strong about other things that should not be allowed to creep into football.
    Think that's me done with this.