1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Back to tyres...

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by BrightLampShade, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Max Whiplash

Max Whiplash Well-Known Member

This sport certainly needs a kick up the arse and I'm intrigued to see how the new regs might upset the status quo. I'm not sure I could take another season like this last half-season has been.

2. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

Yea, Max, simply cannot believe it took so many clever people to "**** up" a perfectly good sport.

Tyres that only do two laps, yea ****ing brilliant idea !!!!!

3. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm cautiously optimistic that next year will be better, at least in terms of tyres. Pirelli have said they're playing a little safe on next year's tyres as they aren't sure just how harsh the new engines will be on the tyres, particularly with reports of wheel-spin all the way up to 5th gear. (I can't find any references for that right now...). Hopefully then tyres won't be an issue and we'll see drivers more on the limit.

4. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Yes,
    DHC; I agree.
    Tyres will become a far less significant factor relative to the major shake-up we are about to see. And I believe Pirelli personnel are breathing a collective sigh of relief that critical spotlights are being refocussed. Besides, part of their recent remit was to produce tyres to shake-up teams which had become relatively close in performance. And of course, the likelihood is that performance margins will be considerably greater for a while at least.

Testing will be very interesting – perhaps more important than it's been for many many years. But yeah, tyres will be one of the least exciting aspects of it…

;)

5. VettelforPresident

VettelforPresident New Member

I think it's mainly down to people's inability to manage the tyres properly. I mean Hamilton just drove into the other guy, and shredded his tyres in the process. Vettel never seemed to struggle, he's managed them just fine.

6. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I think that was more down to Mercedes three year failure to get on top of the tyres, which, together with 'teste-gate' probably also cost Brawn his job.

7. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Now they're just making it complicated

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111657

Minimum of 2 stops per race

A prime set tyres cannot be used for more than 50% of race distance

Each option set cannot be used for more than 30% of a race distance.

Is that really going to help? Surely most teams will end up pitting at exactly the same times as it will be obvious over a weekend what the best option is.

8. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

<doh>

Please god no

9. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

If in doubt, throw more rules at it. <ok>

10. Paco Montoya

Paco Montoya Active Member

That sounds so dumb

11. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This is just getting silly now. In some races that are clearly 1-stop territory I guess it'll help because tyre life won't be an issue in the slightest, so the drivers should at least be able to push for most of the stint. But for 2-stop races this completely kills any strategy attempting to use the options as long as possible - you've only got 10% of the race (potentially as little as 5 laps) to play with. Sauber 2012-esque strategies become impossible.

12. Max Whiplash

Max Whiplash Well-Known Member

It will help them organise better when to cut to the adverts.

Seriously though, <yikes>

13. 51LV3R8RR04

51LV3R8RR04 Well-Known Member

Moar rulzzzzz!!!!!!!

14. cosicave

Up until now I'd thought it was most likely a spurious/malicious rumour. I sincerely hope these proposals fall flat on their face.

Once again it panders to the casual viewer rather than sticking to purer racing. In my opinion, the teams should have more choice, not less! Forced pit-stops goes against these fundamental principles, just as tacky (forced) refuelling did. In principle, such things should be optional!

When will Bernie learn that his circus would be more attractive if he lets teams (and especially drivers) adopt their own method of completing the race distance? (And that no-one wants crap tyres, sprinklers or medals&#8230;)&#8230; Aaargh! I find it ever more difficult to uphold the party line in defending F1's (in)credibility.

As if F1 was not already artificial enough! Let's just hope someone sees sense in time and that it doesn't go through&#8230;

15. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Hopefully, it won't be Bernie's circus for too much longer............

Surely the sponsors must start to consider whether they wished to be involved in a sport where it is now clear its 'owner' is now all but convicted of bribery and corruption in order to keep his place at the top.

16. cosicave

No comment&#8230;
    ;)

17. ErnieBecclestone

I am speechless !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFS

18. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Apparently Bernie is hiring a spin doctor to help keep his job. At the moment it's not looking good for him and the flotation on the stock market is turning into a huge fail.

19. ErnieBecclestone

Bloody hell Cosi, they are so far up their own backsides they cannot see the big picture, one must also ask, why arn't the teams being more proactive over their own future.

Real F1 is such an incredible sport it simply does not need enhancements, next years turbo engines, durable tyres, decent circuits, commited drivers, history in abundance, an additional 160 hp, what more would we need, nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

Mandatory pitstops do not even cater to the casual viewer, they cater to the teams who have been too keen to A) go beyond Pirelli's recommendations for the tyres and B) criticise Pirelli for everything they do!

I am not confident that next year's new regs will give the sport a shot up the arse either, because as I recall, 2009 was rather an odd year what with Button winning most of the races but the title still being up for grabs until Brazil.

I fear that F1 will not change without a novus homo at the helm... we fans must just hope that that man has the sport's interests at heart - not CVC's or Ferrari's!