1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Aston Villa v Norwich City

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Mar 31, 2017.

?

Predict The Result

Poll closed Apr 1, 2017.
  1. Villans Win

53.8%
  2. Canaries Win

30.8%
  3. Stalemate

15.4%
  1. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

At least we've got plenty of midfielders

2. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

At least Rusty might get the right back gig next week.

3. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Or Ruddy Might.

Whittaker is our 1st choice LB. Might as well try Ruddy at RB. Doesn't seem like talent or ability matter at Norwich. Stick Maddison in goal. Might as well. Just give him a f**king game!!!

Useless pr*cks!

4. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

You definitely need another beer.

5. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

I'd like one yeah. Been a long week.

6. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  7. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

Fuming

JM Fan likes this.
  8. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

From today's EDP - "Alex Pritchard teed up Cameron Jerome for two chances that needed to be slotted home before Jonathan Kodjia made no mistake from Jacob Murphy’s turnover. " I REALLY think the time has come for Basil to start regularly and OK, he doesn't offer the same workrate as Jerome, but at least he knows how to score - we had VERY few shots actually on target again yesterday.
    I liked this comment and I'm just hoping that whoever replaces AI can see he offers so much more than Naismith and that he'll want to stay after the 'Summer Sale/Giveaway' - "Our Norwich City correspondent, Paddy Davitt, went for Pritchard who is rapidly emerging as one of the genuine causes for optimism in a season which is limping to a mid-table finale."

Note for DD - I hope you saw Harry Arter's penalty miss for Bournemouth yesterday!! <doh>
    At LEAST Middleton forced the keeper to make an excellent save on Friday!!!!

9. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

After watching Ruddy for so long I forgot that goalkeepers were allowed to save penalties.

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

That's BRILLIANT DD!! <rofl>
    Edit - To be fair to Harry, the ground to the left of the penalty spot completely collapsed under his standing foot.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017

11. carrowcanario

From what I've seen Jerome set up Oliveira for our best chance of the game and Oliveira failed to even take a shot let alone get it on target.

12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Yes, canario I read that as well, but when Oliveira only ever gets a few minutes playing time each game, it's not going to be easy for him and how many did Jerome fail to get on target in the first half I wonder????

Edit - I like is article on MFW - "Yesterday’s defeat wasn’t the complete and total disaster it’s been painted in some quarters. It was just par for the course.
    If MFW had gone all Family Fortunes and asked 100 Norwich supporters what will happen at Villa Park?I suspect the majority would have forecast a reasonable performance with plenty of pretty passing that would be ultimately undone by missed chances at one end and rotten defending at the other.
    And so it came to pass.
    That Alan Irvine found himself bemoaning the same misfortune that blighted Alex Neil’s record on the road pretty much tells the story: of a group of players who are simply bereft of the wherewithal to grind out results away from Carrow Road.
    The cull needs to be brutal, the cuts deep, and there needs to be an appreciation from the club’s top brass that to deliver the new head coach a squad equipped to deal with the rigours of the Championship will need some bullets to be bitten, some of them costly.
    There is naturally risk associated with large scale turnovers but this is no time for a tweak here and a new face there; this needs the shedding of so much dead wood that if done properly Colney on 1st July could resemble the UEA’s Freshers’Week, but it doesn’t require a degree in Sports Science to identify three of yesterday’s back-four as being unworthy of a Norwich City future."

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...der-that-this-ncfc-crop-is-unfit-for-purpose/

KIO likes this.
  13. carrowcanario

14. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Uuuuuurrh
    I can't even sit through that clip.
    I'm seriously discounting all remaining away games from my mind and will just go out and do something more productive and entertaining between 1500 and 1700 on a Saturday without checking my phone for updates.
    At first it was a pattern then trend then problem then crisis but now it's too late .
    The players should feel the pain of letting in 40 goals, mostly defensive howlers and just 1 win since last October.
    I don't think they do or they would show it on the pitch .
    I would love to see Pinto go over to Martin and shake him screaming in his face pointing to his head in a "****ING WAKE UP " gesture but instead they tamely drop their heads spit on the floor and saunter back to the centre circle with their hands on their hips without eye contact in silence.
    Zero heart no balls .

15. carrowcanario

Only posted it to highlight how bad Oliveira messed up his chance. Not sure Oliverira is the saviour some are hoping he can be. Yep both goals down to Martin, although to be fair assisted by Bennett with the Fvck up for the second goal. Didn't see much point highlighting the defensive errors for both goals, as nothing unusual in it, Martin has been costing us a silly amount of goals for the last 2 seasons, but still seems to get the rub of the green, he can obviusly talk the talk with the manager, just can't walk the walk on game day. Both goals down to pure defensive errors, no doubt some clever poster will try and blame the goals on the midfield not helping the defense out. It is so obvious that we need a bloody good clear out of deadwood before next season, even a blind man could see it.

16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Fair comment Rick, but I still feel that IF Oliveira was given a run of games, he would be at least testing the opposition keeper on far more occasions than Jerome is likely to do.
    The ONLY saviour we're likely to see won't be until next season, as 3 of the 4 defenders we had on the pitch yesterday were a DISASTER and until we can replace some of them, we're ALWAYS likely to concede goals
    As we have nothing really left to play for, I'd like to see us go for both strikers starting some of the remaining games, but I'm not holding my breath on that ever happening, especially as AI appears to be an AN clone as far as team selection/tactics is concerned.
    I'd also love to see the likes of JM getting at least 30 minutes and I'm sure were Efete to be given his opportunity, he CAN'T be any worse than Martin.

17. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

Yes, time to bed in next season's players and give them (and us) something to look forward to.

carrowcanario and JM Fan like this.
  18. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

It was an unfortunate first touch for Oliveira that got the ball stuck under his feet, but he is only recently back from injury and that one bad touch, albeit in a very good scoring position, hardly justifies him being lambasted Canario. A fully match fit Oliveira would tuck that away 9/10, at the very least test the keeper.

He is hands down a better finisher than Jerome FFS.

ilovedelia and JM Fan like this.
  19. carrowcanario

Never said he wasn't a better finisher, but I don't see what he's done that leads some on here to suggest he's our saviour. It's about a players all round game and overall team contribution and Jerome brings much more to the table and doesn't get silly red cards. Oliveira has hardly been prolific when he has played and neither AN nor Irwine has set up the team to play to Jerome's strengths. Having said that we haven't missed out on the play offs this year due to lack of goals, it's defending that's cost us.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  20. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

I know statistics and lies but which STRIKER would you choose:

Jerome
    35 Appearances
    2734 minutes played
    14 goals
    7 Assists
    195 mins per goal

Oliveira
    25 Appearances
    1297 minutes played
    12 Goals
    4 Assists
    108 mins per goal

Half the minutes and only 2 less goals.

Jerome runs around a lot yes...but I like a striker that can score goals. How have we not been playing to his strengths?

I don't think anyone is saying Oliveira is our saviour, our problems are far deeper than that, but he is the best striker we have. Yes he was stupidly sent off...once! Many felt we should have had a penalty for the challenge on him. At least he actually has a bit of fire about him unlike a lot of our passive players.

I would start Oliveira and bring on Jerome for the last 10-15mins of a game, to "defend from the front" and use his pace against tiring defences.

: canarycall