1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Assessment of Monk

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by ValleyGraduate12, Nov 1, 2014.

1. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

A number of us (myself included) have waited to get to the 10 game marker to asses Monk. How does everyone think he's doing so far? Has he been what you expected or exceeded expectations? Anything still of concern?

15 points from 10 games is a great return, but thinks could be so mch better with fair refs and substitutions at the right time. A fair rub of the green from refs and Monk getting his subs at the right time correct and we could be in for a great season.

2. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Exceeded expectations for me, and improving steadily though still needs to get up to speed with his subs, but that will come!...............<cheers>

3. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Valley - you beat me to it, I was thinking of putting up a similar thread.

After the Villareal match, there was (understandably) some angst and concern about how the season would pan out.

Anyway, after 10 games, we have our best ever start to a PL season. With a bit of luck, it could have been even better.

Anyway, can't be complacent, but at least we have a solid foundation to build for the rest of the season. 25 points needed from 28 games.

4. Bob the slob

Bob the slob Well-Known Member

Much as expected.

Slow to learn from his mistakes and we have lost points because of his tactics and substitutions.

5. Cherry Jack

Cherry Jack Member

Good job so far I think. We've had a fairly balanced schedule of fixtures - not too hard but not easy - and managed to get a 50% points return. Do that all season and 40 points will be easily surpassed.

I agree with Valley that Monk is still learning with his decision making regarding subs, and we've clearly got a disciplinary issue whether that is his fault or not. Its unusual for us, at least, and wasn't a problem until recently. Still we've also been denied several points by **** refs and IMO Monk has done a good job overall though there are areas to improve. Of course some on here think we are in ****ing crisis unless we win every game, but that's what happens when you have a fanbase split over such an issue.

6. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

cant complain as we have not been out of the top 8 all season. he is still learning and has to fail at some things for him to get better....he gets not a 10 from Len but an 8 from Dai....<ok>

7. roofjack_22

roofjack_22 Well-Known Member

Not sold or unsold on Monk 10 games in, in limbo basically .Happy with our points , just dont know how we got them really.Ill wait till christmas to draw any conclusions

8. When Swans are flying

When Swans are flying Well-Known Member

Doing a great job thank you very much. Well done Monky..

9. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

I'm glad it's not a "zero from hero" <laugh><laugh>

10. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

9/10. Doing a fine job.

11. swan_and_only

swan_and_only Moderator
    Forum Moderator

All I've got to say is 10 games in and only 2pts from 3rd! If you're unhappy then your expectations are greater than what's realistically possible. Basically you're never going to be happy are you!

What a fantastic season, and if anyone's grumbling about possession, in games like today it's simply wasn't in our game plan, today we was solid and organised waiting for the right moment to counter. Great display and I think Gary is being sensible and choosing the right tactics in the right games.

12. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

We cant argue with our points tally so far and with a bit of luck and maybe some better use of subs it could so easily have been 19 from 10

13. Bob the slob

The grumbling is about poor play in our previous games. Position fine and points as expected from the teams we've played in the form they are in - Everton remember have a home record of won 1, drawn 2, lost 2.

14. When Swans are flying

When Swans are flying Well-Known Member

Swans are doing absolutely great.

C'mon the Mighty Swans...

STID

15. Dragonborn

Dragonborn Active Member

PLUS:

Defensively much more organised. One of the best defences in the League prove that. <applause>

MINUS:

Poor subs and poor timing of them. Reactive, not proactive.
    Poor discipline. Monk's stance on diving may be frustrating the players?
    Inability to keep the ball. Our quick, accurate, short passing game seems to be disappearing in some games. 'Smack it up to Wilf' seems to becoming more prevalent.

Overall 7/10 for me. Some positives but a lot to work on. Better position than I thought we'd be at this stage though.

16. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Pretty good for a Rookie

17. Dragonborn

Dragonborn Active Member

Agreed, Stumpy.

18. Number5

Number5 Member

Monk is doing a great job so far and will only get better IMO.

Well done Gary <applause>

19. Bob the slob

That was true of Paulo Sousa too - having the best defence also means we aren't scoring many goal +3 s OK but when a foreigner produces those stats without a striker he is ridiculed and written out of our success story.

Given the teams we've played and where they are and the form they are showing I would have expected 5 points more. & I'm not alone http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/premier-league/swansea-good-start,63153.html?

20. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Hell he's in your good books then aswan?.............<laugh>

I'd just like to say a big well done to Monk, we may not be as clinical in front of goal yet, as we would like, but Monk has started to regain our defensive strength which is so very important, Sousa would be very pleased with that defensive display!.............<ok>