1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Asoro needs to play

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Joel Asoro has admitted that he may have to look elsewhere if he does not think he can get first team football at Sunderland next season.The 18-year-old prodigy broke into the first team set-up at the beginning of the last campaign but fell out of favour as the season developed.

He continue to impress in the U23 set-up and was nominated for the Player of the Year award in Sunderland's division, as well as being longlisted for the prestigious European Golden Boy award.

He is currently with the Sweden U21 side ahead of this summer's European Championships and told national media that he will consider a move if he is not part of the next manager's plans.

He said: "It's not something you can decide now. We will have to see who the new manager is and whether or not they like me. If not, I will have to look for something. I have to develop and can't just play U23 football all the time."

After Sunderland's relegation many fans called for the likes of Asoro and Josh Maja to be given a chance in the first team, but David Moyes urged caution and insisted they were not ready for Premier League football.

With a plethora of players set to depart the first team set-up this summer, the Black Cats could become far more reliant on their young talent, but it is far from clear whether that means Asoro will get increased opportunities.

U23's Coach Elliott Dickman has high hopes for the young striker but told the Echo earlier this year that his finishing still requires work.

He said: "Someone like Joel, who came into the club quite late, so you do miss out on certain fundamentals. What Joel has is natural pace, he’s good at controlling the ball, the fact that he’s 17 and he’s in the U23’s squad says that the Swedish coach thinks very highly of him, so that’s a great achievement for him.

"But Joel still has a lot to develop, finishing would be one of those areas, he knows that and is working on it. As much as we’re saying Elliot has done great, which he has, like Joel he’s got a lot of areas to be working on."

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

I think he's ready to be playing senior football now, get him toughened up and conditioned. League 2 loan for 6 month would be order of the day if it was up to me. See how he gets on.

Teessidemackem likes this.
  3. Teessidemackem

Yeah i agree. See how he does in pre season against physical Scottish and league 1 teams and if he shows he can handle himself id make him a part of the first team squad.
    If not then im sure theyll be a few clubs prepared to borrow him off us, especially if he does well in the euros.

Brian Storm likes this.
  4. Brian Storm

I don't think he'd get the game time he needs with us. Would feature preseason but once the season started I think he'll be off on loan. He only scored a few this year. Not up to the standard of being a championship 1st choice striker yet. Misses sitters. Must improve.

makemdan and BIG BAZ like this.
  5. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

He's got something that defenders are **** scared of: pace.

If he can get up to speed with the physicality of the English senior game I have no doubt he'll be an asset for us.

6. Teessidemackem

Ive not seen him play mate im just going off the hype that ive read about him. If thats the case then yes he should be loaned out.
    Im not sure why we didnt do it in Jan. He could have been going into this season with alot more experience.

clockstander likes this.
  7. BIG BAZ

BIG BAZ Well-Known Member

The lad thinks his better than he is. Didn't do much for the u23. The lad needs loaning out.

8. Brian Storm

Probably because the coaching and facilities provided by us are much much better than the conference side he would have went to. That's why I'd only send him on a short loan. We may need to recall him to do more work on him if it's not working out. He's still a baba really.

9. Teessidemackem

I know but facilities aside he could have experienced a proper 3pm match day experience and tested his physical attributes against bigger men.
    He looks like hes got the height, just needs to fill out abit.

10. Brian Storm

True, suppose it all depends on what stage he's at. WIth all levels combined for preseason the new manager will get a good look at him.

11. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I hope that he's ready to be given a chance at least because from what I understand he's one of our brightest talents. I saw him play earlier on in the season and he looked alright, now we're in a lower league with a small squad and as far as I'm concerned we play him.