1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ask Princess

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by PNkt, Feb 1, 2012.

1. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

If you didn't see the Tonight programme on ITV1 at 7.30 last night, catch up on the ITV Player - about 13.20 mins in is a lovely piece on Frankel.

2. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

Danedream has been retired. She will leave Cologne in January (tests permitting) and will board at Newsells Park Stud in Hertfordshire ready for her rendezvous with Frankel in February/March next year. Once in foal she will head to her owner's stud in Japan.

3. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

4. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

I will start the New Year in the manner that this forum intends.

Question PN, if we were to offer you a drink in a public house, what would you choose?

Nassauboard = asking all the tough questions

5. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

Hmm, probably a nice glass of Sauvignon Blanc - my vodka days are long over!

6. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

Two bits of bloodstock news:

Chachamaidee has been retired and will be bred to Galileo

Crusade, winner of the 2011 Middle Park Stakes, has been sold to stand at stud in South Africa

7. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

Breaking bloodstock news - Lanwades Stud have announced that SELKIRK has been put down at the age of 25.

RIP

Selkirk and his handler, Eoin O'Mahony, who had looked after him for 16 years:

Selkirk.JPG

8. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

RIP Selkirk - a superb horse and fabulous stallion.

Lovely picture Princess - many thanks

9. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

R.I.P Selkirk :(

Lovely sire.

10. Janabelle13

Janabelle13 Well-Known Member

so sad to hear that Selkirk has passed away

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Very sad. Lovely picture. Thanks Princess.

12. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

13. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

The Aga Khan is to send 15 of his elite broodmare band to new European recruit, and Australian Champion Sire, Redoute's Choice. Having previously stood his entire stud career in Australia, Redoute's Choice has reverse shuttled to the Aga Khan's French stud, Haras de Bonneval, where he will stand for a fee of €75,000 and cover a restricted book of 100 mares.

The Aga Khan's mares to visit him will be:

Zarkava (Zamindar ex Zarkasha): Champion filly, unbeaten winner of five Gr.1s.
    Shareta (Sinndar ex Shawara): winner of the Gr.1 Yorkshire Oaks and Gr.1 Prix Vermeille in 2012, her dam is
    a half-sister to dual Gr.1 winner Shawanda (Sinndar).
    Sagawara (Shamardal ex Sagalina) : winner of the Gr.1 Prix Saint-Alary in 2012, out of a full-sister to Arc winner Sagamix and closely related to leading young sire Sageburg.
    Rosanara (Sinndar ex Rosawa) : winner of the Gr.1 Prix Marcel Boussac at two and second in the Gr.1 Prix de
    Diane at three.
    Daryakana (Selkirk ex Daryaba): winner of the Gr.1 Hong Kong Vase, she is a daughter of the Prix de Diane
    and Prix Vermeille winner Daryaba.
    Shalamantika (Nashwan ex Sharamana): dam of the Gr.1 winner Shalanaya and Gr.2 winner Shankardeh.
    Vadaza (Zafonic ex Vadlamixa): dam of Gr.1 winner Vadawina, and dual Gr.3 winner Vadapolina.
    Asharna (Darhsaan ex Ashtarka): dam of three Group performers, including Gr.1-placed Ashiyla.
    Katiyra (Peintre Celebre ex Katiykha): a Gr.2 winner and placed third in the Gr.1 Oaks.
    Ashalanda (Linamix ex Ashaninka): a dual Gr.2 winner.
    Shamakiya (Intikhab ex Shamadara): a Gr.2-placed half-sister to Gr.1 winner Shamdala.
    Shemima (Dalakhani ex Shemaka): a dual Gr.3 winner, she is a daughter of Prix de Diane winner Shemaka.
    Tanoura (Dalakhani ex Takarouna): Gr.2-placed, daughter of a Pretty Polly Stakes winner and sister to four Stakes performers.
    Sharesha (Ashkalani ex Sharemata): the dam of three Group performers and a close relative to Derby winner
    Shahrastani.
    Kerasona (Oasis Dream ex Kerasha): a Listed winner in 2012, she is a half-sister to juvenile Gr.3 winner Keratiya.

14. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Another son of Danehill but Redoute's Choice's female line is pretty interesting, Many European racegoers will know El Gran Senor and Try My Best, amongst others, who hail from this family. Obviously a top sire, compared to his Australian fee 75,000euros looks cheap!!

15. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

He has had a limited number of runners in Europe, resulting in two black-type horses. These horses were conceived in Australia when Redoute's Choice was opened to Northern Hemisphere mares, covering them in the off-season.

It's quite a common practise with very valuable horses, for example Dansili has previously covered around 20 mares in the off-season (autumn/winter) so that they can be sent to the Southern Hemisphere to foal and then visit a stallion down there. I wouldn't be surprised if Frankel is sent some mares in the off-season later this year.

16. OddDog

Staff Member

Princess: we often see written "horse X is a full brother to horse Y" or "filly A is a half-sister to colt B" and I'm not sure I fully understand exactly what these terms mean (although I did pay attention in school when we did the birds and the bees). So, in terms of breeding, could you please explain:

Full Brother / Sister
    Half Brother / Sister

Many thanks in advance <ok>

17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think someone here corrected me once when I referred to a horse as being a half brother.

A half brother/sister is when they have the same mum

Apparently, because stallions can sire so many foals, their offspring are not considered half brothers/sisters

A full brother/sister is where mum and dad are the same

18. OddDog

Staff Member

Thanks Ron - is that a nod of respect to the influence of the dam sire then? What I mean is, I understand the full brother / sister bit - same dam, same sire. Yet I always thought the sire had the most influence on a horses talent, much more than the dam, and even when something good does come from the dam's side it is often attributed to the dam sire. All seems a bit sexist to me, especially when you look at some of the wonderful mares we have seen down the years.

19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I don't know Oddy. Genetically, if they have the same sire, they are half sisters/brothers, as far as I understood. Eg if you had two sons by different wives they would be half brothers. If you had sons all over the place does that mean only some or maybe none of them are half brothers?

Where are you Princess?

20. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Oddy, it's interesting that you say the sire has more influence. You may be right but I always start from the point that both parents have equal influence. Breeders tend to buy into families (ie the dams side) and not so much to buy mares by certain sires.
    Ron is of course right about half-brothers only being those by different sires out of the same mare. You also get three-part brothers and sisters, so colts by Sea the Stars out of mare A and Galileo out of mare A are often referred to as three parts brothers. I'm not sure that hangs together so well!!