1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ask Princess

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by PNkt, Feb 1, 2012.

1. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

I'm here!

I think the main issue with the half-brother/sister issue with regards to the sire is that, as has been said, many stallions produce so many foals that it would be easy to claim a horse was closely related to a top-class horse. For example you could imagine an unscrupulous stud manager advertising a "half-brother to Galileo" at their stud, when in reality all they have is one of many sons of Sadler's Wells.

You also often hear about "full/half sibling in blood". This is generally when a mare visits two full brothers at stud, or a stallion covers two full-sisters. Whilst they are not 100% related, the bloodline has stayed the same.

2. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

3. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

Also, if you want to keep up to date with Frankel news - including info on the planned tours of the stud that will take place during the summer - you can sign up here.

4. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

From European Bloodstock News:

Wertheimer et Frere’s superstar mare Goldikova gave birth to her first foal, a colt by Galileo, at Coolmore Stud on Sunday. She will return to the Champion sire.

The daughter of Anabaa made history when becoming the first horse to complete a hat-trick of succeses in the Gr.1 Breeders’ Cup Mile. She also won the Gr.1 Prix Rothschild on four occasions and the Gr.1 Prix d’Ispahan twice, as well as the Gr.1 Falmouth Stakes and Gr.1 Queen Anne Stakes in Britain.

Her half-sister Galikova, who is by Galileo and gained her Gr.1 laurels in the Prix Vermeille, will start off her career with a visit to Dansili, while their dam, Born Gold (Blushing Groom), will be covered by Redoute’s Choice.

5. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

A new picture of Midday and her Galileo colt foal.

View attachment 21277

Gina Bryce spent the day at Banstead Manor for a feature to be shown on this Saturday's Morning Line.

6. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

Going back a few posts ... I didn't realise that there were breeding standard requirements for racehorses - assuming that if you had a fast enough animal it could race wherever you entered it. My question therefore is how the "80% thoroughbred" part is determined?

Is it by looks and conformity or some DNA derived formulae?

Also - driving down Newmarket High Street on Sunday, I noticed that Paddy Power's betting shop had a sign outside saying "Machine Sale, 11-00 am to 5-30pm"

What on earth kind of machines is he/they selling??

7. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

The 80% only applies to the AQPS horses in France. All other racehorses must have a higher percentage, most of them are infact 100%.

In order for a foal to be registered with Weatherbys as a racehorse, by the time it is 6 weeks old a blood sample taken from the foal and a DNA sample (hairs pulled from the mane or tail) from its mother must be sent away for testing. Weatherbys keep on file the DNA profile of all registered stallions so that they can cross-check to confirm parentage.

These tests have often thrown up interesting results - most often that the father of a foal is not who they think it is, and even that (in one case I know of) the mother was wrong! In that case two mares at the same stud had given birth on the same night, the following day they had been turned out for a few hours in the same small paddock and, as the maternal bond had not yet solidified, the two mares had "swapped" foals.

I've not been paying enough attention to the Paddy Power shop, but I suspect they are selling off some of their betting machines to make way for new ones!

8. newapproach

newapproach Member

9. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

Thanks PN - I hadn't realised that the bloodlines were so strictly monitored.

It blows to smithereens, my dream of finding an escaped gypsy horse nibbling the plants in my front garden and me turning him into a CGC winner <laugh>

10. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

11. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

12. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thanks Princess. Nice Pics.

13. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

Racing Post are putting together a foal gallery for their website. Once it is live I'll put up a link.

14. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

15. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

Sad news, LIKE A BUTTERFLY, winner of the Supreme Novices in 2002, has died following a bout of colic. She gave birth to a colt by YEATS last week.

16. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I remember Like A Butterfly well. Years ago I used to drive my (late) father-in-law to a hospital in London for his heart checks and on one occasion while I was waiting I popped out to a bookies along the road and had a bet on LAB, and she won bless her. I have a feeling it might have been at the Cheltenham Festival. RIP

18. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

that would be she, and bless her Ron. The clue is in the quote from princess - "She gave birth to a colt by YEATS last week"

Do pay attention

<laugh>

19. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image
    Just spotted that in a clip today Oddy. Nipped in to edit it before anyone noticed. THEN, I saw the clue <doh> Then bollocks, Oddy's spotted it

20. PNkt

PNkt Well-Known Member

Fantastic article on Frankel and his new career in yesterday's Sunday Times, accompanied by this picture

View attachment 21400

Sadly it is not available online unless you are a subscriber. If I get the chance I will type the article up later one.