1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

As Things Stand

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious, Jul 30, 2017.

1. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Do we have a squad that can realistically push for promotion?

2. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

no.

assembled too late and still not ready. we should ideally be playing our first team in the last 3 friendlies so they can "gel". they should not be "gelling" when the season has started.

3. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

I honestly have no idea. Too many players I know little about. If Reeves signs and we keep The Big Man, and Amos is as good as SuperC thinks he is then we must have a chance. Another "if" is Solly getting back into something approaching his best form.

4. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Solly is a huge question mark, which sucks as he has been such a great servant and he's still reasonably young. Realistically we will probably play 8 games minimum without him, and I'm no convinced KR will trust the younger lads. I foresee shape/formation changes and other guys like Konsa filling in - which would be a mistake.

Just my opinion, but right now that is what concerns me.

Reeves would make a difference, but is it fair to say that's still 50/50 whether he join? He was on the bench spectating MK Dons in their first pre season friendly so he could be playing these games to bump up his money, force an unnamed club to show their intentions.

Mavididi is by no means a sure thing either. I mentioned a few weeks back that a former colleague said he heard Blackburn are in pole position to sign him. I haven't seen if they've made moves for a striker since then (probably should look it up).

Looks like Stewart isn't being offered a deal, which is a mistake. Competent without being spectacular, but surely he isn't screaming for big bucks?

I still see us 4 players minimum short of a play off squad.

5. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

As things stand... I would say no.

We have a squad that should perform better than last season, but that really is not saying much.
    The squad as it stands might (if it performs to its full potential) grab 5th or 6th place. But I think even that is unlikely.

I do expect another five or six players to be signed in August, though we may lose nearly that many as well (sold or loaned out). The quality of these August signings will be absolutely crucial to our chances of promotion. We will have to hope that the players who are brought in are of better quality/potential than those who leave.

Unfortunately we will have to forget about all the pre-season preparations of course. August signings will have to come as they are and be brought up to fitness and match-sharpness during the opening games of the season and the training sessions in between.

Fortunately (perhaps) Charlton have what looks like a fairly easy first 8 or 9 games. Only Wigan to play in September looks like a difficult fixture. Maybe we will get the time we need to bring late signings up to scratch before we fall too far behind the early League One pace-setters.

Here is a representation of how our squad stands on this date: 30th July 2017
    In each position, players are listed in alphabetical order.

BLACK denotes player's best position.
    BLUE denotes player's other positions.

NOTE: Players with long term injuries excluded.

please log in to view this image

Of course there is always some flexibility when it comes to alternative positions for players, and players being played out of position when necessary.
    The alternative positions as shown above in blue are those shown by the transfermarkt website.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Remember!

Only the players in BLACK are counted if you wish to add up our squad total right now (27)
    All the players in BLUE are just duplicate names, indicating where a player can play in an alternative position to his favoured one.

If the above diagram is pared down to remove the alternative positions, this is what we see;

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  6. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

With the addition of Reeves, cover for Magennis and cover for Solly I would say yes. I was very impressed with the football on Saturday. We played a brand of football I have not seen from a Charlton team in years. But our squad is not strong enough at the moment.

7. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

I guess we'll know more today in regards to Reeves. He couldn't have not been impressed by what he saw on Saturday, but it appears money is the motivation in this move.

8. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

It will be galling if Reeves wants to come, but not so much that he will lower his wage demand to whatever we can "afford".

If Ben Reeves walks away because the Club is too tight to pay him that will frankly be a disgrace (unless his demands are ridiculous).
    For Robinson it would be hugely disheartening too.
    He has been banging on about only buying players who 'want' to play for Charlton. Here's a good player who does apparently want to play for us, but the deal might be scuppered because of penny pinching by the management.

So much for our ambition to achieve promotion.

9. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

If he wanted to play for us so much why hasn't he signed already? I would suggest he wants to play for a Championship Club but none have come in for him.

Ken Shabby likes this.
  10. chaperonek9

chaperonek9 Active Member

Totally agree with you; l guess JFC. would be the one to make way for him. However, l suggest Reeves would have to bide his time to get in the side, especially if we start well?

11. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

It was said he had a "lucrative offer to go abroad", which in agent talk means 'we'll feign an offer from a location where the local rags don't have a source'.

12. The Elfsborg Sparrow

The Elfsborg Sparrow Well-Known Member

Fans were optimistic this time last season, why should things be any different now?

Robinson won about 1 in 14 and we were very close to relegation. It was fortunate our last six games had us playing 4 out of the bottom 5.

13. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Genuinely no idea. I'll be at the Valley saturday - my last visit was the 2-1 win againft Hull, and I walked out of the place dreaming of a promotion battle. We got relegated. This year after another dodgy summer we may have got in some decent dignings, and Kashi sounds back to his best, but I feel we still need strength in depth for when the injuries kick in. At least I have a sneaking optimism again. It would be great to maintain that a while.

The Kish likes this.