1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Article: PNE v Notts County | Football, Preston, Notts County

Discussion in 'Preston' started by theflyingplumber, Aug 24, 2011.

1. theflyingplumber

PNE V NOTTS COUNTY F.C.

Northenders.

This coming Saturday PNE welcome Notts County to Deepdale for their next home fixture.

In many ways this is a historic meeting between the two clubs, as Notts County are universally accepted as the oldest league club in the world. When they step on the the pitch at Deepdale they will be stepping onto the oldest Professional footballing site in the world.

Both clubs are steeped in footballing history with Notts County being formed in 1862 and like PNE was a founder member of the English football league in 1888.
    In the very early years Notts County used several grounds as their home including Trentbridge (Of Cricket fame) and Nottingham Forest's Town ground.
    They moved to Meadow Lane in 1910 which has been their home to this day.
    A redevelopment of the ground was completed in 1994 and is now a modern football stadium.

Notts County have had their ups and downs like most other clubs both on and off the field including financial ones as PNE have now. Arguably their most successful period was in the 70's when Jimmy Sirrel took charge as manager, and he took them from Div three (after much hard work assembling a competitive team) up to Div one (now the Prem).

Interestingly Notts County have had three ex PNE players as their manager, Sam Allardyce, Howard Kendall and Andy Beattie (general manager).

County have had some very good and famous players over the years, but one stands out as being right at the very top and that was TOMMY LAWTON. For those who might not know Tommy Lawton was a Centre forward who had everything and was a household name, playing many times for England.

Notts County's highest ever league position was third in Div 1 in 1890/91 & 1900/01.

They were FA CUP winners in 1894 and runners up in 1891.

They won the Anglo-Italian Cup in 1995 and were runners up in 1994.

There is a strong connection between Notts County and the Italian Giants Juventus in that they both use the same coloured black and white striped shirts. There is an interesting story behind this, why not take a look at the Notts County site and find out more.

On to Saturday then and who is going to come out on top of this Div 1 encounter. Notts County sit just one point behind PNE in ninth place in the League. PNE will be looking to continue their winning run and stay in the top 6 place they hold at the moment. Notts County are one of the teams fancied to have a good season and will provide a stern test for PNE at Deepdale.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome on this thread re this early season clash, so thanks in advance and let the best team win.

:)

2. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Good grief Plumber you must spend hours trawling t'internet for info where I spend hours on the internet. Another tough game especially as they have Mad dog Allen as manager. Fully expect a tough tackling no nonsence encounter, with no holds barred, two submission and two falls to decide the winner.

3. cafcnick

cafcnick Member

I reckon PNE 0-3 Notts county

4. theflyingplumber

Ha ha that brought a smile to my face maclad..:) nah not hours the odd minute here and there but hours ??? <laugh>

This will fit in well with your comment maclad, one reason that Juventus chose to wear the same colours as Notts County was that Stripes always makes a team look bigger and meaner than any other playing kit...:) It's very true though wouldn't you agree ????

Sounds like it will be a typical Div 1 match then..:)

<ok>

5. theflyingplumber

Nick...<ok>...what you reckon and what you know are two different things...<laugh>...You reckon that the above result and score will be correct but deep down you know that the score and result are likely to be the opposite to what you reckon..<laugh>..by the way has your Sat Nav thrown a wobbly ????.

<ok>

6. cafcnick

cafcnick Member

I genuinely dropped my sat nav in a river the other day haha.

But don't think notts county will be a walk in the park. They have that excellent murderer up front who should be playing in a higher division.

Obviously we beat them because we're just a much higher standard than all the teams in this league...

...but you lot will struggle more

<laugh>

7. theflyingplumber

Nick let's be clear about this, no one who supports PNE is expecting this game to be a walk in the park. In fact it doesn't matter which team PNE are playing against (and particularly at the moment) PNE fans never take anything for granted..:) PNE/Team are in a work still in progress situation since our relegation and all the supporters understand just how difficult this season will be. Having said that we do expect Saturday's game to be more difficult than when we play CA....<laugh>

Hope you find your Sat Nav in the Thames..

8. themaclad

Lets hope their murderer has lost his pace since that fateful night, he also played for the Lashers as well.

9. finneyfan

finneyfan Member

no worries, the winning run will continue :)
    2-0 another clean sheet :0

10. markos50

markos50 New Member

We generally perform better against the so called strong teams. Lets hope this continues on Saturday, I think it may. However we will need to get the ball and players in the box, too often we see a ball going in there with just one or two white shirts there, midfield need to get up and down the track to provide more bite. 442 please Mr B. with Coutts in the centre.
    Is Hume fit?
    Score 2-1 PNE and as always a nervy last 10 mins

11. cafcnick

cafcnick Member

Ill be the judge of that come tuesday <laugh>

12. theflyingplumber

Ah!! so nick has been promoted to Judge Nick....<laugh><laugh><laugh>...<ok>

13. theflyingplumber

It has now been confirmed that Devine will not be available for Saturday's game, following the unfortunate injury he suffered in Preston City centre last Saturday night. Bad news for all concerned and it will obviously mean an enforced change in the team selection.
    Fortunately Conor Mc could well be available for the right back position with McLean taking over from Devine in the centre of the back four. Assuming that Conor Mc is fit, it will allow him to stake his claim for a place in the team again. A very promising prospect who prior to his injury turned in some outstanding performances, if he does play I hope he can display the form he was showing prior to his enforced lay off.

14. finneyfan

finneyfan Member

connor at right back with grezza looking after him, team all playing for the manager, pazz or smith at left back. mayor on in the second half win ,win, win :)

15. themaclad

If Conor's not fit, Grezza at right back Barton into midfield?

16. theflyingplumber

Yep that is a real possibility, but there is that other possibility of leaving McLean at fullback and bringing back Morgan into the centre of defence. ..<laugh>

17. themaclad

Indeed, I'm not a Morgan detractor, given an experienced defender alongside him, we would have a decent player.

18. finneyfan

finneyfan Member

apparently morgan had an excellent game in the reserves so might be back in the frame ??

19. theflyingplumber

Yep I heard the same thing finneyfan. Thing is credit where credit is due there maybe more to PB's psychological prowess (BS) than meets the eye..<laugh>

<ok>

20. theflyingplumber

Saturday at last..:) and it's football day and I for one am looking forward to this afternoon's game with relish..;)

Tough game ahead for the Lilywhites but aren't they all..<laugh>. I am reasonably confident of PNE picking up all points, but they will have to turn in a better performance than they did in the last home game.
    Very iffy weather here in Preston this morning with frequent heavy showers dominating the scene.
    Could clear up for the game but suspect the showers will persist. The pitch will be greasy (unless there is a change in the weather) and could provide the players with the opportunity to zing the ball about, and have a pop at goal from distance.
    The Magpies will be up for this one and will be trying hard to grab all three points and overtake PNE in the league table. Most PNE fans believe that this will be PNE's toughest test to date, but I am sure Phil Brown will have the team well prepared for this afternoons encounter.
    I see a close game with the Liliywhites maintaining their winning run and managing to come out on top and take all three points.

We will see how events unfold and see if my forecast is correct..<ok>