1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Article: Future of Bristol football | Football, Bristol City, Bristol Rovers

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Sapphire, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Well two magnificent draws against the two bottom clubs just about sums up were we are!. Lets get real and accept the reality of where Bristol football stands. We have a team who are at the moment in the Championsh.t and one that is Division Four(wards perhaps). Let’s be realistic and accept that both teams are in a very poor position.
    Having supported all Bristol football for many years, it seems probable to me that we are unlikely to ever have a premier Premiership club under the present set up. So what can happen to give real optimism to us football fans.
    I believe we should turn our back on the rivalry between the two Bristol professional teams and look to a solution that could revolutionise football in Bristol.
    Let us promote the idea that we join forces and support the idea of one club in Bristol. If we all get together and make a bit of noise we could generate enough interest to get a debate going which might be, at the least interesting, even if doomed to failure.
    Possible scenarios;
    1. We would have the attention of a very large potential fan-base.
    2. A serious debate would certainly attract the attention of the media.
    3. The two football boards would be obliged to sit up and take notice.
    4. Two grounds would become one making for a substantial bank balance
    5. The media attention and unique situation could attract investors with very deep pockets.

As the local support for the matches at the Millenium and Wembley have shown, there is a large fan-base that will attend matches with significance.
    There are many plus points in the principle.
    Divided we will probably continue to underachieve. United we may even realise our optimism.

Br1STol.

We can all dream!!

2. Thesilverbluefox

You have more chance of Leicester merging with Coventry and that my friend will be when HELL freezes over, NEVER in a million years will the Gas merge with your shower. Desperation or What?

Br1STol. = Deluded

3. Natchrawldry

Natchrawldry Active Member

Yup 2 new stadiums on the way, lets merge <doh>

4. Natchrawldry

I've never gone onto teams boards to gloat when they fail after crowing how they're going to piss the league in early season.

I may make an exception this year though.

5. gas

gas ACCOUNT DELETED
    Forum Moderator

This debate has gone on for donkeys. The local fan base is easily big enough to support 2 clubs. It`s all a tad optimistic to think a Bristol United would become a big time club. Most of the local population would show some interest at first then slip back into the usual apathy so the usual routine of underacheivement would carry on.

6. gas

gas ACCOUNT DELETED
    Forum Moderator

On second thoughts if we merged into one club we could be nearly as big as Leicester. <doh>

Tally Ho chaps lets do it !

7. Natchrawldry

We could play in purple and everything.

I'm warming to the idea.

8. gas

gas ACCOUNT DELETED
    Forum Moderator

...and if we attracted some investment we could get a failed, has been, ex international Sweedish **** to manage the team.

9. Natchrawldry

But would he be able to attract decent players?

It would be a nightmare if he wasted millions on second best choices and we failed horribly.

10. gas

gas ACCOUNT DELETED
    Forum Moderator

that`s true but we could all big it up and convince everyone we are a big club heading to the prem and hope they don`t notice when it all goes tits up <ok>

11. Natchrawldry

<ok>

I've had enough of these ****ing arseholes, bitter as **** because we ripped them a new one a couple of weeks ago and wouldn't let them have Maynard.

Bored with it now tbh...

12. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

The silverbluefox does seem to have forgotten Leicester City 1 Bristol City 2.
    Of course one team in Bristol would have a bigger fan base, and it's logical would be more successful (though no guarantee). But think of all that banter and wumming we would miss out on!!
    Back to Leicester - what happens when their investors get bored?? The money disappears but players will be sat there on big contracts - maybe the merger with one of the bigger clubs in their region like Derby or Forest is on the cards???

13. Sapphire

That is precisely the bigotted view that will ensure the continued mediocrity of your the two clubs you mention

14. Sapphire

:emoticon-0102-bigsm

15. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The state of football in Bristol no different to that of the two Sheffield clubs, Sheff Weds having there financial problems over the last few years and Sheff Utds disastrous season where they had a huge wage bill and three different managers. And even the two Nottingham clubs there no better both currently near the bottom of their respective leagues and with Steve McClaren on the verge of leaving Forest and Notts County having been in the bottom two leagues longer then the Rovers have.

16. Sapphire

The Sheffield clubs are the anomaly of the football league, having relatively large gates with little or no success. But two wrongs do not make a right. On the other hand Man City went down with gates over 20 thou and flew back up. We clearly have a large, but dormant fan base. They will occasionally come to Blue Ribbon matches or venues, but for the remainder are arm chair supporters. So no cash in the bank for the local clubs.
    As far as I can remember no two league clubs have ever amalgamated. If the principle of the idea were vigorously debated then who knows how far it might be taken.
    Most people seem pessimistic, but that is not the way to get something done. There are no guarantees because that is what competitive sport is all about.

17. gas

gas ACCOUNT DELETED
    Forum Moderator

The local authority shoud wack an extra £100 on council tax and give it to the football clubs<ok>

18. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't like to see the merger of City and Rovers I don't think it would work, the team would have to start in one of the lower leagues and some sort of financial backer and a stadium plus I don't think the attendences would be all that great either it seems the people of Bristol would rather go shopping on a saturday then support there home town team or they would rather walk around with Man U shirts on, maybe if the team were to play in the Premiership then people would come and watch.

19. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

i have the means of uniting rovers and city by saying both clubs are p*ss useless. together bristol united would make an excellent club, but it will never happen because of directors politics and because of the rivalry of the fans, so carry on being p*ss useless although city if they got their act together could spend a season in the premier but i fear the gas may be a L1 L2 yo yo club and p*ss awful

20. Chris-Gashead

Chris-Gashead Well-Known Member

**** that, I would hate to sit next to some sweaty Bemmy geezer, whilst he is gobbing on our players and throwing bottles of piss at everyone <grr>