1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Article: 2013 Driver Line-ups, News & Rumours | Formula one

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by genjigonzales, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

The man is obviously unstable!!
    please log in to view this image

2. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

Sutil's a class driver, quick, consistent and excellent in the wet. FI have belatedly made the right decision. I'm surprised by the amount of criticism, especially when many people spent a lot of last season complaining about young drivers being promoted to F1 too soon. The only driver from the lower formulae I'd pick ahead of Sutil is da Costa, the rest are mediocre or unproven at best.

3. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Brazilian and Indian newspapers seem to think Narain will get the seat with his TATA money

4. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

My thoughts too, I think the "Not606 Driver of the year for 2012" could be out performed by his team mate?

5. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

FFS <doh>

6. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Firstly, <diva><diva>

Secondly, I guess situations like this can change rapidly. At the time it looked like Razia had the money they needed, so ditching Glock was the right decision then. Now Razia seems to offer significantly less, the situation has changed. Clearly they don't rate him enough to consider having him without significant money, or they'd have let him drive anyway. It definitely seems like they're playing hard-ball with him and the sponsors.

I can't see Bianchi going there because of the Marussia-Mclaren technical partnership. That partnership looks fairly long-term, and if the Mclaren buying Cosworth rumours are anything to go by, Mclaren would probably then be offering very cheap engines to Marussia in return for them testing them for them next year. Mclaren are probably offering Marussia more than just engines (I think they've got access to the Mclaren wind tunnel for example), so Ferrari would probably have to offer hard cash to get Bianchi the seat there.

So with Bianchi looking unlikely and Razia seemingly having no money, Marussia's options are: Bruno Senna (fed up of F1), Karthikeyan (slow but maybe with cash, there was talk last season of him running out halfway through the season, so I don't know what's there), Alguesuari, Petrov (also seemingly sponsor-less now) or Kovalainen. Kovalainen was highly rated, has kept up full F1 training through the winter by the sounds of things, and is probably the most experienced left to parachute into a team with no experience. He might not offer much in terms of sponsorship, but he'd probably do without a salary. There's a kind of logic to it, if I've got my Kovalainen fan-gear on.

7. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Some well-spoken thoughts there, DHC.
    I believe your first paragraph is particularly apt but some of the rest of it is also quite plausible

8. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Yeah, from there on it's mainly speculation I'll freely admit.

9. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

I want Kovalainen back, his consistent speed (for the fourth tier) was one of my biggest weapons in the sweepstakes last year <laugh>

10. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Qing Hua who was lined up to race at HRT this year has found him self a test role at Caterham

He will also race for them in GP2

11. Forza Bianchi

Forza Bianchi Well-Known Member

Here's what the Ferrari driver academy thought of Force India's decision: "Eventually prevailed meritocracy ..... of the suitcase!! #PayToRun #NotOnlyF3"

I'd love to hear what Nicolas Todt and Luca Baldiserri said to Mallya!

It looks like Force India need to find themselves a new reserve driver, as Bianchi's twitter profile picture has been changed and his background removed. Bianchi leaving Force India would also explain why Todt had no problems spoiling Force India's driver announcement a day early. I'm sure Todt and Ferrari realise that there's no chance of Bianchi getting the FI seat in 2014 with the team now going for Mercedes power. For them to leave Force India suggests another team is offering him the reserve driver role with the option of securing a race seat in 2014 - or Razia's seat. If not then why would he leave Force India?

12. Delete Me

Delete Me Well-Known Member

Ouch!

13. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So FI have decided to continue or prolong the Mercedes tie in, potentially helped with Sutil signing. A logical outcome based on the fact that it would involve a different design philosophy with a change of engine supply, probably dilutes some of the politics of being what would in affect be a Ferrari team (engine & driver combo) - something Ted touched on in his notebook! It will be interesting to see if Sutil got a big discount on the Merc engine deal as opposed to bringing outright cash?

The Marussia seat? Ted mentioned that cosworth WONT be supplying engines to them in 2014 (How true I dont know), so depending on whether the "Mclaren to buy Cosworth" rumour is true, would this just be a play on words i.e. It will be Mclaren and not Cosworth supplying the engines? I was under the impression that the relationship between Mclaren and Marussia was at a tech level and if so (as DHC suggested) would find it hard to see this terminated/ended in favour of Ferrari funding, engines and driver 0 but who knows?

My bet would be on HK, even if just on a temp basis until the funding of Razi (whatever his name is?) is sorted. Cant see it being the cucumber!

14. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Kovalainen has tweeted about half an hour ago to say he's not signed anything, and is still a client of IMG (management firm). I think Chilton could well be doing 4 days testing.

15. Forza Bianchi

Forza Bianchi Well-Known Member

Let's see if anyone goes into the Marussia garage for a seat fitting after the test.

16. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I spy with my litlle eye, somebody begining with....

17. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

Ive just seen this guy floating around the marrusia garage
    please log in to view this image

18. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

You have got to be kidding me...

His Superlicense even got taken away!

19. El_Bando