1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsene Wenger: Arsenal manager agrees two-year contract

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, May 30, 2017.

1. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Two and half years ago this was bandied around. Depressing that the same **** goes around.
    Ramsey should definitely be dropped. Xhaka can have one more season. Ozil meh. Winning the final few games of the season when we're playing mostly teams with nothing to play for blinds some fans every single year. Are you forgetting how appalling Ramsey was this year, and Ozil for a lot of it too?

If you think things have improved then you're deceiving yourself.

By the way have you found anyone yet that agrees with you that the FAC is a better trophy than the PL?

2. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

If you think Ramsey and Ozil are Meh, then really I don't know why you bother. I noticed you didn't even answer positively to the "What will make you happy" thread.
    The truth is nothing will make you happy. You get off on moaning and complaining. Just give it rest. No one cares. We get it, you hate everything and everybody and hate life. Just **** off and die then, and let the rest of us enjoy our football.

And my point was not that the FAC was more prestigious that tn the FAC, it was just that people celebrate the FAC better, and that really it doesn't matter much what you win.

3. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Oh dear being a little strong there?

4. PeterRICK

PeterRICK Well-Known Member

I'd rather try and enjoy my football.

I'm frustrated yes. I don't want another season of plane c*nts and infighting. I don't want another season of every other club chanting AW we want you to stay despite how ridiculous it is from 95% of them with the regularity we beat/finish above them.

I want us to be professional and competitive and play good football. Last season we only did this in patches. Hopefully (and I hate that word with Arsenal) with Arsene's contract sorted we can put some of the uncertainty to bed and move on. Mesut, for example, has always said he was here because of Wenger. Prove it now. I appreciate you think he's meh but, you know, you're wrong.

gooner4ever likes this.
  5. PeterRICK

Be funny if the club comes out and announces he's off now!

6. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Also now that we have finally finished outside the top four, finishing inside it, will be seen as some sort of achievement next season, so even when Wenger does **** all in terms of a title challenge, he will use the top four trophy to deflect any criticism, i can see this predictable tedious **** heap of a season coming a mile off.

BrunelGooner, Sign Da Ting and cini65 like this.
  7. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I see the annual "win the last few games of the season to appease the Wengerites and think things are good for next year" has worked its usual charm on some.

I didn't say Ramsey was meh. I said he should be dropped. He's worse than meh, he's rubbish. Watch all our games in the last few years, not just the last 10 games when little mattered and try and argue otherwise.

And yes, you said the FAC winners were more lauded than the league winners. They aren't. I've asked you to find a single other person who think they are. So far you haven't been able to.

@PeterRICK Ozil is meh for 95% of the time when playing for a Wenger managed arsenal, yes. And given AW is here for at least two more years he's a worthless luxury. I appreciate you might think otherwise, but you know, you're wrong.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  8. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

The fans are the lifeblood of the club.
    To keep a manager there at the club, whom you know to be deeply disliked and unwanted by, at this stage, certainly a majority of the fanbase, is a slap in the face by your board.
    I am sorry but it is. The fans should get to say what goes, because they are the ones keeping the club running. The board shouldn't get to basically tell them to "**** off, we know better", which in essence is what has happened.

Take us at Chelsea for example. We finished outside the top 4 in 2012, the next season Di Matteo was sacked and they bought in Rafa.
    He got us back to third and won us a European Trophy, but the board knew from day one he was an unpopular choice and our fanbase hated him.
    So the board acquiesced and got rid of him, despite a relatively successful season.
    Yes I know its a little different in that Wenger has been at Arsenal for years etc and won the league with you (back when most of us were still in school mind, but hey ho.)
    But at the end of the day, the situation at Arsenal is untenable. And as soon as you lose a couple of games next season, it will all come rushing back. The protests, the banners, the fights ,etc, and again it will effect the players, because they will be thinking "Hang on, our fans hate this ****ing guy!".

Wenger said that some of the treatment he has received has been disgraceful.....I personally think choosing to pocket £8m a year, of fans hard earned cash, when they want your arse OUT, is disgraceful....but thats just me.

9. lazarus20000

I can't see anything other than another toxic season, unless we pull off a very good transfer window. All this Wenger stuff is getting tiring now so rather than get bogged down with it on every thread (match day threads etc), shall we have threads dedicated to everything Wenger related? Could make next season more manageable? What do you think all and @PISKIE ?

10. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

I don't think he was saying that about the FA cup vs the league, I think you've misunderstood the point he was trying to make which was about the thrill of winning in a cup final vs winning the league.

And you're wrong about Ozil. The idea he is "meh" 95% of the time is complete nonsense. He has the record for assists in consecutive games in the prem, created more chances in a prem season than any other player ever in the prem, was 1 off the prem assist record, only cantona got more assists in his first 100 prem games, he set up the most chances of any player in the prem era in a single game, at various times he has had the best assists to games ratio in prem history. Etc, etc, etc...

The stats completely disagree with you on Ozil.

His overall while at Arsenal are 90 combined goals and assists in 161 apps. 68 combined in 116 in the league. That's almost a goal or assist in every 2 of 3 games in the league over four seasons.

Sign Da Ting and PINKIE like this.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I'd love to be able to keep all the Wenger ranting in one thread, maybe we need a place where people can bang their head against a brick wall when they feel the need ?

As you mention, we have Wenger for another two years, so we might as well accept it and get on and support the team instead of the constant moaning, which does nothing but divide Arsenal fans on here and in reality, with the banners, planes, protests, fighting etc creates a toxic atmosphere which in turn affects our results.

My personal view is that as fans we should be doing everything we can to get behind our players, trying to help them to win. Imagine how much better it would be if the doomers put as much energy as they do into slagging offf Wenger into supporting the team.

Sign Da Ting and afcftw like this.
  12. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

There's no interpretation or misunderstanding from me. That's what he said word for word. That the FA Cup winners were more lauded than the league winners. He could of course come out and admit he was talking nonsense. Doubt it though. Probably tell me to go and die again. Cos he's a great guy and all.

You can spout all the stats you like about Ozil. Most people watching him play know he's a luxury we can't afford when we have a fool in charge who has no clue how to manage him.

13. PeterRICK

That cup win feels a long time ago all of a sudden

14. lazarus20000

And the new season hasn't started yet!

Damn i remember Wenger's early years, they were so great and entertaining. They were exciting times. Now you're dreading a new season, not just about what will happen on the pitch, but what will happen in the stands...

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  15. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

1. How do you know that ?

2. If that was the case we'd have given Owen Coyle the job years ago

16. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Maybe you would have been better off.

He might have won a CL a-la RDM, then got sacked off and you guys might have been employing carlo ancelotti

17. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

<laugh>

18. PeterRICK

Ah Wengerites. So condescending. Not sure why you try and make a divide, it doesn't help anyone.

I've said in other posts that we end the season strongly and am skeptical (again) this time around.

However, in previous season I've struggled to see what we've done beyond buckle down and try harder. The obvious factor as well being we were playing with no pressure on us for the majority of those games. This season we were in as big a funk as I've ever seen us and I'd argue we had more pressure than ever before on us. On top of that we physically changed formation which I feel played to our strengths and offset our weaknesses. It's the fact we actually have tried something different, a huge change for Arsene, which gives me some belief. To win 9 games from 10 in the position we were in is not something to dismiss out of hand. I remain cynical yes, but I don't think this is the same.

PINKIE likes this.
  19. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

Ok I am not happy - official.

I support a team and not a manager, and as such I will continue to:
    cheer when we win
    moan when we draw
    and when we lose I will hire a plane with a big **** off sign on the back

Seriously though I think any time we lose it will go toxic very quickly and imo Wenger will be hounded out rather than leave with head held high - why didn't he go after the Cup win, as he doesn't deserve being hounded out but he has made a mistake in staying, and the board are to blame for allowing it to happen.
    I would like the board to spend the next few months teeing up a replacement so that we can replace Wenger if the toxic situation removes him

Sign Da Ting and lazarus20000 like this.
  20. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Well so far so good on my prediction front.

A freebie left back signing who no one really knows about (his team finished 10th)
    and the up and coming young gem of a striker from the obscure belgian league

Summer window is nearly finished

Sign Da Ting and gooner4ever like this.