1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal vs. Swansea City 2016/17 Official Match Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TheOXOCube:5pur2, Oct 13, 2016.

1. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I don't know really... Why ARE you crying?

2. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

If I am it's witth laughter

3. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

You protest too much

4. Big Ern

Oh, the irony.

5. TheOXOCube:5pur2

TheOXOCube:5pur2 Pride of North London

Yeah. That's a 100% cynical foul. Yellow card every day of the week. Hell even the commentators on the stream I was watching said "and Xhaka will be rightfully booked" before Moss pulled a John Moss.
    Good thing is we have cover in Coq and Elneny so even if we appeal or don't I'm not too worried as it'd be Boro, Reading and S'Land Xhaka will miss if its a 3 match ban.

6. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

It will be a 3 match ban because it will be the same category foul, as if he had ended Barrow's career.

The problem with the offense being considered "Dangerous" is that there were at least 5 other fouls in the same game that were equally "Dangerous" (using equal or more force) and should (if the same standard be applied) be considered straight red cards and 3 match bans.

7. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

At West Ham finally winning a game? I know, it's ****ing hilarious! <laugh>

8. Big Ern

no there weren't, his was a very late(and that's being generous), off the ground, studs showing lunge from behind with zero intent do do anything other than take out Barrow.

9. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

But your own picture that you posted has already illustrated that the studs weren't showing...?

10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

So anyway. I think we should appeal the red card. The law is clear and thus the red was incorrectly applied. I think we've got a good case.

11. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Sorry - you are going to have to point me at the spot where having two feet off the ground is an offense. Under your rules, is someone going to get a red card every time they go up for a header?

You do realize that both your feet come off the ground when you are running? Most tackles are made with two feet off the ground.

12. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Big Ern is an imbecile. Not only does he post up pictures that don't show what he's saying they show, but he also has no clue about rules.

Incidentally, here are some stills of some of the best sliding tackles... and in all of them the tackler, at some point, has both feet off the ground with studs just as, or more, up than Xhaka:
    Sliding tackle 1.png
    Sliding tackle 2.png
    Sliding tackle 3.png Sliding tackle 4.png

13. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Good battling result and disappointing to see Xhaka go off with a red card. But its best now so he can learn from it and do things differently in future. Besides, we have good depth so not end of the world.

14. Big Ern

nice photos, can you see where the ball is? oh yes, in each one of those photos they are actually challenging for the ball and they're coming in from the side, where as in the one I posted, Xhaka is off the ground, going studs in to Barrows leg from behind, and the ball is nowhere near, which means he fully intended to kick Barrow.

Arsey Whiner isn't going to bother challenging it. Do you know why? I do, it's because it was a red card and he knows it won't get overturned?

now, go get your mummy to wipe away your tears and change your nappy

15. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

The challenge was a foul. Not in a million years a red.

He slid in from behind but his leg came from the side and and neatly tripped the attacking player. There was no studs or stamping. It was about as safe a sliding challenge as possible.

A clever foul but not in a million years was it dangerous or reckless.

16. mustyfrog

mustyfrog Well-Known Member

as a Swans fan, I watched a replay of the match today, I don't think it was a red (damn close though), double yellow maybe if there was such a thing. Intent I think is the key word as he had no intent in going for the ball, just hacking Barrow.

17. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Except your picture doesn't show that. Imbecile.

18. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Hmmmm... that Xhaka challenge was quite horrible. I probably would have given a yellow but i am not surprised on the red. Normally we see cynical fouls when people pretend to make an attempt at the ball where if they miss they know they are taking the man or holding/rugby tackle. Xhakas was neither, it deliberate attempt to take down barrow and because he does it when he's mile behind i can see why he's given that decision.

Also the position of when his foot make contact with barrow (near his knee) and it was like a flying kick i can see why the red has been given.

You know it's bad when even Arsene doesn't protest against it

19. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Regardless of who may or may not protest it... By the laws of the game it is not a red card.

People can make any arguments they want about studs being up (they weren't), both legs of the ground (so what given everyone's legs both leave the ground when they run) etc but none of those are red card offences and using them to justify it being a red card shows nothing other than a complete lack of knowledge of the actual rules of what a red card can be given for.

If it is deemed a red card worthy offence by a significant number of people then the FA rules need to change. And if the rules change to include 'cynicism' then red cards will flow endlessly.

The foul was twattish and if an opponent did it to us I'd think "what a cock". Xhaka was a cock for doing it. I don't mind it so much though... Rather that in our team than XI pansies like in the last who get trampled all over.

But still a twattish foul, appreciated by your own players, annoying opponents. But it wasn't a red card offence.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    PINKIE likes this.
  20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I tend to agree with this. Perhaps it should have been a red, but for that to happen the rules would need to be changed. As they stand, the ref got it wrong.