1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal vs Southampton Matchday Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Sep 9, 2016.

1. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Emirates Stadium
    Saturday 10th September 2016
    Kick Off: 15:00

Head to Head Record:
    Played: 80
    Wins: 39
    Draws: 22
    Losses: 19

Last 6 Meetings (all comps):

Arsenal 0-0 Southampton
    Southampton 4-0 Arsenal
    Southampton 2-0 Arsenal
    Arsenal 1-0 Southampton
    Arsenal 1-2 Southampton
    Southampton 2-2 Arsenal

Team News:

Arsene Wenger could be giving debuts to new signings Shkodran Mustafi and Lucas Perez. Despite the former facing an injury scare on international duty, the injury was not serious.

Aaron Ramsey is back in training, but is unlikely to be risked after his injury problems. Iwobi should be back in contention for a place in the squad. No new injury concerns that have been mentioned.

Southampton have been handed a huge boost as Claude Puel confirmed that Fraser Forster should be fit to start. Despite dominating the game in this fixture last season, it was due to Forster's heroics that Southampton left with a point last season and he will no doubt be looking to emulate that performance this time around as well. Ryan Bertrand should also be fully fit for this match.

However, club-record signing Soufiane Boufal will still be unavailable following his knee operation.

Analysis:
    This is a fixture that we've struggled in ever since the Saints were newcomers to the Prem. Since the 6-1 battering, they've proved to be tricky opposition for us, both home and away. Even in the few times we've beaten them at home, it's never been comfortable for us. The incisiveness of their passing and their pressing game from the front is something that we've not been able to cope with in recent times.

At times, I don't think we've always had the right personnel, especially in midfield when up against the likes of Wanyama and Clasie (last season), who completely bullied the likes of Flamini and Arteta. In the past, I feel like we've been too lightweight, but now we have more steel with Xhaka and Elneny. Wanyama being sold to our north London rivals is a bonus for us in this fixture, too, so I expect us to have more physicality in the middle of the park.

Defensively as well, we've struggled against the pace and interplay of players like Tadic and Long. Mertesacker was given the run around last season by the latter, but now that we have Mustafi and Koscielny looking like our first-choice CB partnership, we should be able to match their attacking forwards for speed and agility.

They've had a slightly dodgy start to the season, with a loss to Man Utd (understandable), and draws against Sunderland and Watford. Puel is clearly trying to familiarise himself with the players and squad, whilst trying to find the best system for his team. We need to try and take advantage of this transitioning period to get all three points.

I don't think it will be straightforward, but we should realistically be winning this.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Mustafi will probably start and to be honest I think that's bullshit.

Holding has been great and has done nothing to deserve loosing his place, In fact he's been far better than Koscielny who has had a dodgy start to the Season.

Basically Mustafi will start because we spent 35 million on him.

3. bobo_97

bobo_97 Well-Known Member

Alexis is a maybe as he arrived today and a game on Tuesday.

4. bobo_97

Perhaps, but now he goes out with great confidence and can be eased in. Afterall, he is 20 years old. We should not play him till the point where we realise he is not experienced enough (and loose us points). Chambers was a simliar case - he played super well the first few months till he got ripped apart at Swansea and then never really came back from it.

PINKIE and BrunelGooner like this.
  5. NLDISRED

NLDISRED Active Member

I'd keep holding in the team until after the psg match at least mustafi needs more training sessions with the team

6. BrunelGooner

Holding wasn't bought with the intention of being thrown straight into the first team. He was bought with the intention of being developed and nurtured until he is deemed ready to play. With the large quantity of injuries we normally get and the congested fixture list around December and February/March, he will be needed, so it's not like he's being alienated from the first-team squad.

We also don't want to risk denting his confidence completely. As mentioned above, Chambers looked really composed in his first couple of months and some were even suggesting he could be a contender for Young POTY. But after the game against Swansea where Montero ripped him to shreds, he hasn't looked the same player - we can't have that happening again.

It may be harsh, but the quality and experience Mustafi has, even at the age of 24, will be important in the long-term partnership he has with Koscielny. He's played against the best teams, at the highest level, and has already plied his trade in Germany, England, Italy and Spain. It's for the best that he starts.

PINKIE likes this.
  7. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Neither was Bellerin but he showed what he could do.

Holding needs games if he is to develop into a TOP defender.

8. BrunelGooner

The main reason why Bellerin was and is one of the first names on the teamsheet is purely down to Debuchy's injury. Debuchy was meant to be first-choice, but when he got injured for several months, it meant Bellerin came into his place and he's never looked back since.

Which is exactly my point with Holding - he will get games this season when we have an inevitable injury crisis and when the games come thick and fast. If he impresses enough, he will be a mainstay in the side.

He's 20 years old. Centre-backs play up until their early to mid 30s. He has plenty of time. There is no need to rush him at this moment.

9. TheOXOCube:5pur2

TheOXOCube:5pur2 Pride of North London

You impatient bastards couldn't even wait for me to make the thread <grr>

TheBear and PINKIE like this.
  10. Libby

Libby 9-0

I fear a real hammering from you lot tomorrow. I know you can say you've struggled against us recently but we've lost Ron & Vic which were 2 big parts of our defensive solidity.

My worry for tomorrow is that Puel likes the diamond formation and I think one DM away to you lot is suicide tbh. I'm hoping he switches it up and plays someone alongside Romeu.

Will Sanchez play? I ask cos I seem to remember Wenger starting him on bench sometimes after international break.

I expect we will line up...

Forster
    Bertrand
    Fonte
    Van Dijk
    Cedric - don't worry no Martina :bandit:
    Romeu
    Davis
    Hojgberg
    Tadic
    Redmond
    Long/Austin

As I said a diamond with Romeu at base, Tadic at the tip and with Redmond & Long/Austin up top.

As I said I fear a hammering though reckon we might take an early shock lead.

4-1 home win.

Good luck for rest of season bar the return <ok> hopefully Wenger can go out on a high - this is surely his last season??

TheBear likes this.

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Expecting a big performance tomorrow after getting back on track with the win at Watford, and wanting to put right the opening day loss at home.

I'd play Mustafi, he's got enough experience to go straight into the team. Perez on the bench though.

12. BrunelGooner

According to Sky, Perez and Mustafi are in contention to start, while Sanchez is fit for the game as well (good news as he was originally a doubt to start). Iwobi back in the squad is a massive positive.

I reckon Wenger will have our line up as:

------------------Cech-------------------
    Bellerin----Kos---Mustafi---Monreal
    ------------Xhaka---Cazorla---------
    Walcott---------Ozil------------Perez
    -----------------Sanchez--------------

My preferred XI would be (assuming everyone is 100% match-fit):

------------------Cech-------------------
    Bellerin----Kos---Mustafi---Monreal
    ------------Xhaka---Elneny---------
    Iwobi-----------Ozil----------Sanchez
    ---------------Perez--------------

13. Krome

Krome Well-Known Member

Is Giroud injured?

14. BrunelGooner

no - I just don't want him to start <laugh>

15. bobo_97

Your wish came true.

BrunelGooner likes this.
  16. bobo_97

Arsenal XI: Cech, Bellerin, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal, Cazorla, Coquelin, Walcott, Ozil, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Perez

17. Krome

Krome Well-Known Member

Xhaka been dropped? I didn't see the Watford game

18. BrunelGooner

Surprised that Xhaka is on the bench. Not exactly sure why...

19. BrunelGooner

He was very good against Watford. Not sure why he's been dropped. Lacking match fitness perhaps? Strange decision.

20. straycat_67

straycat_67 Well-Known Member

whose on the bench?

found it!!

Team: Cech, Bellerin, Mustafi, Koscielny, Monreal, Coquelin, Cazorla, Walcott, Ozil, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lucas Perez.

Subs: Sanchez, Giroud, Ospina, Holding, Iwobi, Xhaka, Elneny.

*that's a strong bench..starting to get some decent depth, just need some form out of everyone!