1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsenal vs Hull City: FA Cup Final, Match Thread.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Sanj, May 12, 2014.

1. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

a role harris lookalike ? <party>

2. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Of course the odds of scoring from the second attack from a free kick taken from the wrong place are the same as those between a goal kick and a corner!

I said the ref was crap which made the result a bit of a lottery. I stand by that. If he'd have got one more decision right you would have lost 2-1.

3. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

And the penalty's on Cazorla? Myler on Cazorla was clear as it gets. He is not going for the ball, and just runs into Cazorla, a pen all day long.

4. Not PC enough

Not PC enough New Member

The ref was desperate not to give a penalty at any cost but , even more annoying was him constantly letting blatant fouls go unpunished .

On both sides , to be fair but , a lot more where Arsenal where the victim of the foul.

I saw 2 clear penalties and even Townsend said they could easily have been given , and thats something.

5. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

Has anyone seen the "photo" of Steve Bruce riding a mobility scooter on Twitter <laugh>

6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Link please ???

7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Also Huddlestones arm across Girouds face, neck and shoulders from the opposite direction pulling him down as he was advancing on goal and the second foul on Santi in the box when the defender came across him, again from the opposite direction and barging him to the floor as he was about to control the ball .. then off course there was the handball, which was probably the least convincing, but that's four decent shouts

8. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Belated congrats, I was a bit busy (drunk) yesterday. <ok>

9. PeterRICK

PeterRICK Well-Known Member

Dunno if the was covered earlier but I just saw Bruce's comment about the foul leading up to Cazorla's free kick being wrong. Now..I'm willing to let slide the "corner" incident but is he just trying to distract from a poor overall performance and error from his son that led to a goal or have I missed something?! That was a foul all day long! I bear zero animosity towards Bruce and massive credit to Hull for making it one of the best finals I've seen in years but that was silly.

I also noticed the complete lack of mention to the penalties in any form of media coverage after the match and you can guarantee that wouldn't have been the case if it was the other way round! Moot point I guess as we won and we were never going to be the majorities favorite with Hull being the underdog.

Hopefully we move on now and address the weak links in the squad before the World Cup.

...I'm so fooking smug right now!

10. PowerSpurs

I've just watched it on ITV player and Bruce clearly gets the ball first, hardly touches Cazorla in the follow through and the tackle is neither reckless or with undue force. So under which law is it a 'foul all day long'?

Just one in a long list of crap decisions by the ref which made the result a lottery.

11. PeterRICK

Urgh. He may touch the ball but he still clatters the player to do so. From behind too so I don't know what he expects to happen in that scenario. I'm not sure where this rule has come from whereby if you touch the ball it exonerates you from any from any other action/foul you may do afterwards. For me it was a clear foul.

On a separate note (and for some parity) I thought when Koscielny went down when shoulder to shoulder with Fryatt I'd have been livid if that had been given against us.

12. PowerSpurs

The laws make no special mention of tackling from behind but they also no longer mention touching the ball (they used to say that it was a foul tackle if you got the player before the ball). Now a 'careless tackle' is a foul. God only knows what that means but the clip I watched showed Bruce poke his leg through Cazorla's to get the ball while hardly touching him. If that is a foul then it shouldn't be!

13. PeterRICK

You're entitled to your opinion, I just disagree! Now I shall stop arguing with a Spurs fan on whether or not Arsenal should have had the free kick which led to them scoring in the FA Cup final... <whistle>

14. Arsenal87

Arsenal87 Well-Known Member

Why are you guys bothering with this Spuds man?

We're the FA CUP CHAMPIONS, that's all that matters, you think these bitter spuds will ever be happy about that? Let them bark, while we CELEBRATE! CHAMPIONS CHAMPIONS CHAMPIONS CHAMPIONS

15. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness you are right. I didn't realize that you were such an expert. I'll get onto FIFA and tell them you are rewriting the laws of the game for them, because their one stinks and you will be able to write it so much better.

Can you have it ready for the World Cup?

16. Arsenal87

Arsenal87 Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;QUncUQn7P20]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUncUQn7P20[/video]

<party>

17. PowerSpurs

No need for the sarcasm! Do you think the law is clear? It is very hard for the refs if it isn't.

I don't have any problem with the result and Arsenal deserved to win based on their play. But the ref was all over the place and that could have gone against you. Are you happy with that state of affairs?

18. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I thought the ref was poor, but the tackle from behind on Cazorla was a definite pen. It doesn't matter if you get any of the ball first either, the rules state that if the tackle is from behind and you bring the man down then it's a foul. It was in the box so it was a penalty.

Also Huddlestones arm across Giroud's neck and shoulders from the opposite side was also a foul - should have been another pen

and the other tackle on Santi, where the defender came across from his blind side to barge him out of the way as he was about to control the ball - another foul and pen

Then there was the handball, it was quick and he reacted instinctively, but his hands were raised in the box - another pen.

Overall, Hull were extremely lucky that NONE of them we given.

19. Not PC enough

Not PC enough New Member

you are right as i have said , the ref was rubbish , to them also .

Fortunately , i think the right team won in the end.

20. tigerrev

tigerrev Well-Known Member

Clearly the ref got a number of decisions wrong for both teams and we can go on forever about it wasn't a free kick or it should have been a penalty etc. etc. Reality is both teams in any game have got to play to the whistle and if the ref gives a corner the defending team needs to defend that corner (whether it should have been one or not becomes a moot point as the ref isn't going to change his mind). Rather than moan about decisions that went one way or the other, I would rather reflect on what was a great match - one of the great FA cup finals- a great advert for the FA Cup to a watching world - and on the fact that my team played a big part in making that occasion what it was. We all left the ground with heads held high and proud of our team's performance. It was also good to prove some of the pundits (who said we would get trounced 3 or 4 nil and that it would be a one-way stroll for Arsenal) wrong. I would love to have seen some of their faces when Curtis scored our 2nd <laugh>

Anyway congratulations on your victory - maybe we'll do it again next year - who knows?