1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal vs. Chelsea 2016/17 Official Match Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TheOXOCube:5pur2, Sep 22, 2016.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

You're angry that we beat Chelsea 3-0 ?

2. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Happy about the result - it's fantastic.
    ...but many times these type of wins prove to be false dawns...

Hope Im wrong though.

3. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I hear you fella. It's important that we build on this.

But for now, just enjoy the victory. <ok>

4. Sign Da Ting

Sign Da Ting Well-Known Member

True, it's all foreplay followed by impotency when it matters.

5. Smirnoffpriest

Smirnoffpriest Well-Known Member

I was thinking this, we've got so much more strength in depth than we had last season (except for striker) and although Coq may be out injured, whereas last season the only players we had were Flamini or Ramsey to replace him and our season fell apart, now we have Xhaka and Elneny to come in!

Iwobi is great as well!

PINKIE likes this.
  6. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Exactly, last season we were just carrying the likes Rosicky,Arteta,Wilshere and Flamini in the squad, this season, you feel like every player in the squad can contribute something, oh god, I am starting to get hope for the season, and we all know it's the hope that kills. :(

7. Sign Da Ting

Iwobi is improving with every game. When Wenger finally decides to play Sanchez in his best position, our XI should be:

Cech

Bellerin Mustafi Kosch Monreal

Xhaka Carzola

Iwobi Ozil Sanchez

Giroud/Perez.

We'll see how Perez gets on this season but if he doesn't convince, we still need that world class striker that has been eluding since Judas left.

8. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Perez has chipped in with a couple too. I know it was only in the league cup, but a decent start to his Arsenal career.

It's early days but the squad looks much better equipped to deal with the longevity of the season.

9. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Sanchez is still better out wide, but him playing as a CF in a front three with Iwobi and Walcott is better than him playing out wide with Giroud as CF, if that makes sense. Giroud and Sanchez have a terrible understanding and there is no real connection there.

10. Sign Da Ting

And I hope Coquelin's knee injury doesn't keep him out too long. We saw what having one DMF for half a season did for us once he got injured.

11. Sign Da Ting

True. That's why I want to see that line up I posted with Perez leading line. It looks like would be a better fit. I hope he becomes our Griezeman; starting as a winger turned striker. Giroud is good for plan B.

TheBear likes this.
  12. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I think it depends on who we are playing. I'd rather see Giroud up front against the cloggers, where he can hold the ball up and bring players like Sanchez, Ozil and Walcott in. But against teams like Chelsea, City, Utd and those who want to attack us, then a quick and mobile front three can be devastating.

I like what I've seen of Perez so far. I know he's not had much time to adapt yet, but he looks strong and quick with a focus to hone down on goal. I really hope he can make a big impact for us this season .

13. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

I think it's a bit early to start forming opinions on Perez,fair play he scored twice against Forest but he looked well off the pace when he made his debut against Southampton

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

He was played as a winger against Southampton, and it's early days. But I think he's got the raw talent to be effective for us. We'll see I agree it's too early to form an opinion.

15. Smirnoffpriest

Smirnoffpriest Well-Known Member

Some really good goals and the highlights made it look like a very good performance with Costa not getting a sniff. The second goal was awesome!

16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Kos had Costa in his pocket for the whole 90 mins. You saw towards the end that Costa lost it when Kos bullied him off of the ball, he got carded for it too.

Smirnoffpriest likes this.
  17. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Perfect revenge on Costa from last season when he got Gabriel and Mertz red carded on two different occasions. I'm sure Kos remembered that and did that last minute shove on Costa to remind him of it. This is the kind of thing that has been missing from our game for too long. We've been trying so hard to play fair that we've got too soft on the opposition. Every title winning side needs fire in their belly.

Sign Da Ting and PINKIE like this.
  18. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Also with players like Sanchez, Xhaka, Coquelin, Mustafi in the team, we have got a bit more of an aggressive bite through the spine of our team

19. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Exactly, we have a very good spin in the team that should help us to sustain a whole Premier league campaign. We needed more stronger characters and we have them now, we need them to start imposing themselves in games and add that grit and determination that's been missing since the Invincibles era. For a change, give it back when the opposition give it and its something i can imagine players like Coqs, Mustafi, Xhaka and Elneny doing for us.

PINKIE likes this.
  20. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

please log in to view this image