1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Arsenal v Tottenham Cross Board Match Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by SpursDisciple, Feb 24, 2012.

1. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Let's hear your views on the teams, tactics and expected result for the big game on Sunday. Where would defeat leave your team, would defeat for Spurs mean we are out of the Prem title race and back into a race with Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle and Liverpool for 3rd and 4th place. Would defeat for Arsenal rule them out of CL?

2. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Keep it clean, please.

3. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Whatever do you mean. Surely fellow North Londoners would not let any bad feeling come into this?

4. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

13 nil to Spurs

5. SuperSpursAllStars

I think it is going to be a cracking game, Arsenal are not a bad side at the home and we will need to be on form to pick up all three points. NLD's have been high scoring games of late but I expect to see Arsenal keeping it tight, certainly early on, if they come out attacking I feel this will play into our hands perfectly.

Defeat for us will bring the chasing pack that much closer and may just give them the impetus and belief that they can still catch us. We must win if we are to have any thoughts on maintaining our slim hopes of winning the title.

Defeat for Arsenal would round off a disaster of a week and this could be the final nail in the coffin for their season, with Chelsea at home to Bolton (you would expect chelsea to win) they would be 3 points behind and seriously lacking in confidence.

The main problem will be that neither team will want to lose and this normally means neither team do.

Draw for me.

6. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

seeing as Arsenal have only won once in our last 7 meetings, i'll think the worst we will do is a draw

7. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Loads of goals in this tie.

Pressure is off arsenal now so I think we'll probably win.

I'm going for a 3-2 win to the mighty gooners.

8. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

?

9. Most fans have accepted we are not very good, so expectation is lowered. From our performances it would appear the players think the same. Hence if we lose - well it was expected. If we win - fantastic.

10. TheBear

What? We're basically expected to lose! just lost to Sunderland and Milan all the press are predicting a Spurs win.

11. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Fair enough.
    Given that you've been essentially knocked out of two cups in a week and you're fighting for a Champions League place (as are we), I'd suggest that the pressure's still on.
    A loss in this game would be disastrous, in my opinion.

12. TheBear

After our poor run of form at the start of the season we were expected to loose against Chelsea and turned in our best performace.( putting 5 past them at stamford bridge)

Also at the tail end of last season after a poor run of form we were again expected to loose against United and won. Seems to be the way it goes with this Arsenal side.

13. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

You can chuck the form book out of the window on this one, I think. These games are invariably close, no matter who is supposedly in the ascendancy. If the Gooners can't get themselves up for playing us - on their own turf, then they really are up **** creek.

14. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I'll go for 2-2 in an entertaining game. Nothing's likelier to shake Arsenal out of their funk than Spurs at home. Spurs won't play for a draw, as they did against Liverpool, partly because they're reasonably healthy, partly because it's a better strategy against Liverpool, who have trouble scoring, than Arsenal, who have trouble defending. But it will end up in a draw anyawy, with van Persie scoring a late equalizer on an iffy penalty.

15. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

I think it's hugely important for Arsenal not to lose this one. The last bad patch had barely been recovered from before two consecutive bad losses in the cups which have left them teetering on the edge of another bad run, especially with a trip to Anfield coming up afterwards.

We're obviously at risk of letting City and United getting away from us if they both win on Saturday but I don't think we're under much pressure to finish above either and the fans don't need the boost of beating our north London rivals, not that we wouldn't love to do the double over you :D

16. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Chelsea have been as bad as us and Liverpool are somehow bad enough to be four points behind us in the league. So no.

17. ninelivesspur

ninelivesspur Member

This is what has me seriously worried about this game, Arsenal seem to raise their game when people think they're out for the count! still going Spurs 3-1 but will be biting my nails all game i'm sure.

18. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

Totally agree NSIS.

Arsenal have had a bad run recently, which they have to bounce back from soon. their players must be up for this game, or like you say... they really are up **** creek.

i think it'll be a tight, nervous game from arsenal who will be feeling the pressure a bit from the home fans, but they wont want to concede under any circumstances. as a result, i think it'll stop us from playing our game, at least for the first 30-45 mins.

for me, it'll have to be something special to open the game up.

i hope this isn't the case, as both fixtures are the games i look forward to most each season. fingers crossed for a nail biting, entertaining game. That's what makes a derby, a derby.

19. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

we'll be alright it bottle time,usually starts around cc time that they implode

20. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

One game never changes anything but if we can beat Arsenal and Utd we are well placed to benefit from any slips City make and if we lose both then the pack will be closing in and hanging on to a CL place would be the best we can hope for.

I expect to get 6 points - we are that good now - but anything can happen in football.