1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Arsenal v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, May 7, 2017.

1. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

And conversely you are thinking that we rested players we will win the EL semi final and final.
    Maybe todays defeat will disrupt the flow/confidence of the team after going 25 league games unbeaten, maybe it wont.
    The fact is that at 4-00pm today we had 2 very good opportunity's of getting CL next season, now we are hoping on just 1.

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

No idea, didn't even look who the author was so don't know. It was blog shared elsewhere.
    The fact is he says a good few things I agree with, that's all.

It's not anti Mourinho to say we blew the chance to seize the initiative in pursuing CL qualification on two fronts, it's not anti Mourinho to say we didn't even try, it's not anti Mourinho to say we have a squad big enough to cope and it's not anti Mourinho to say we should have been hell bent to eliminate both Arsenal and Liverpool from CL qualification. They're all patent truths.

And no, I have not once said we would have won if we'd picked a stronger team.

We'd have had a better chance if we'd tried though.

Diego likes this.
  3. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Have to say, I think Mourinho is the wrong manager for Utd. He is ultra negative and very conservative. He's managed to grind out results and win trophies with Chelsea before, but I do not think his style of management and approach to football is what suits an attacking team like Utd. He also seems to lack a plan B. He came to Arsenal today looking to park the bus and nick a draw, when we went 1-0 up he didn't have anything in his locker to turn it around.

p.s. He's also a **** :)

4. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

9 points left to play for - for everyone. The RS and City have tricky fixtures too - let's see how it goes.

Christiansmith likes this.
  5. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

He came to Arsenal today not giving a **** and with the intention of showing the owners we need a few players in the summer.
    He has done it before and rarely fails the second season <ok>

6. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Don't you see that It was a judgement and a decision that he felt he had to rake? We all have different views. Basically for me it came down to

Chance of Win against Arsenal to keep the 4th race going v/s risk of injury and tiredness reducing the chance of Europa final against Celta.

My judgement is that if I were in JM 's shoes I would have done the same. There is NO right answer. That so called pundit is giving an opinion which I may or may not respect :bandit:

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    King Shergar likes this.
  7. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

I'm not the biggest fan of Mourinho's football but to be fair to him, the lack of a plan B is largely down to the fixture pile up and injurys we've had because of such a busy schedule.

Let's not forget how much your side Spurs struggled in the early part of the season playing European football, and how it also affected your league form.

Arsenal today couldn't have played us at a more advantageous time. Our 2 centre backs where rushed back from injury, and hadn't played for 7 weeks, our right back was a debuting youngster, our left back isn't a left back. Rooney was playing in midfield, our third choice striker was upfront.

He was forced to play the way he did, with the players he played, because we need to keep players fresh for the Europa league which is more important to us at this moment in time.

Well done on that 2nd place Trophy btw <ok>

8. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

He's an Arsenal supporter :emoticon-0100-smile

Hard to believe after the season they have had I know but some people just like to think they are superior :grin:

King Shergar likes this.
  9. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

Well I'm barred from the Arsenal board, as they are to sensitive on there. The only board I am barred from <laugh>

Diego likes this.
  10. Christiansmith

No. Not 2 very good opportunities.
    It is only Increasing the chance of winning the Arsenal match and the chance of keeping the opportunity going. Not certain of a win or the 4th place :bandit:

11. Christiansmith

IF we get to the final, we could still compete for that place if the RS don't win against the Whammers. This won't be an easy match for them. The chief said it would be too late against Spurs. Possibly not. We'll have to wait and see.

12. Stan

Stan Stalker

I thought we were **** and showed no desire to win the game. Mourinho has bet it all on red. If he loses then he's wasted a season.

13. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Exactly.

We'll find out soon enough, what's done is done. I've got this dreadful feeling we'll lose the final and next season will just be one long groundhog day.

14. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

I always thought that, despite how badly as he has played in some PL games, with Ibra in the side we had a good chance in any major final. If nothing else he occupies defenders and allows our midfield room to play further forward - without him we simply don't offer that same threat and we are getting smothered. Ajax are a strong side and I just think we don't have the talent to beat them. All our 'options' are dropping away - Young for instance, always something different to throw on in a game and as our other injuries mount we are looking vulnerable.

15. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's a fair point, but then the same could be said for Arsenal. What was Wenger's plan B, aside from hoping for a ridiculous deflected goal from arguably your most mediocre performer of the season? The manager who supposedly never compromises on his commitment to attack seemed remarkably willing to watch his team create nothing in the first half in a game they had to win.

Have to agree with Phil Neville on this one (shudder), it was a poor imitation of a game from two sides who used to be 100% blood and thunder from start to finish. Neither side wanted to win, neither side deserved to win, and neither side deserves to represent the PL in the CL next season based on that showing.

King Shergar and glazerfodder like this.
  16. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

In fairness Mourinho has done the same plenty of times before and has managed to survive it. The man is naturally cautious and always prefers first and foremost to try and avoid defeat rather than go for the win. It's served him will in the cups, even if it hasn't really seen him ever overachieve in the league.

Although he has managed to get away with it in the past largely because he's had 13 years of always inheriting one of the best sides in the league. It will be interesting to see what he manages to achieve next season, when he actually needs to build a top quality squad instead of tweaking the one he was bequeathed.

17. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Are you forgetting the fact he's just spent about a billion on assembling the current squad? I wouldn't call it 'tweaking' personally.

18. Viva_Giggsy

Viva_Giggsy Well-Known Member

150m is a billion is it? I know scousers are dum but didn't know they were that dum lol and how much how Liverpool spent since they last won the league? A lot I bet.

19. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Maybe the 'billion' part was an exaggeration? <doh>

20. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Well done, genius.