1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Are we still suffering due to constant lack of reinvestment of Leeds United cash

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Eireleeds1, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

leeds United generates a substantial amount of cash flow but we seem to constantly suffer due to chunks of it not being reinvested in playing squad. First Bates refused to back managers in January then Gfh and this January it was our joint owners trying to do it on the cheap. We may still get there but if we don't, fingers will pointed at our piss poor transfer activity in January. One which saw arrival of a hopeless Barrow and Pedraza who hasn't improved us one bit. We're down to the bare bones with centre halves with suspensions. . Worryingly, if we don't make playoffs, the supporter refund scheme will mean over 1m quid in refunds, also likely coming from next seasons transfer kitty. Here's hoping this seasons miracle is still on <ok>

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

12 long years Eire and we are still trying to get up that slippery pole. Brighton took at least the last 4 seasons with serious investment to get promotion, we have had Monk for 9 months and not much investment. Brighton get a new ground, they get multi million pound stadium sponsorship deal, reminds you of Swansea too got the same, so too did Southampton. Clubs need their own stadiums Norwich, Hull, Burnley, oh and Derby too get Pride Park which is now called some other name. We dont own fook all and Cellino knew we needed to own our own ground before we could progress. We also have debts each year with the likes of GFH still round our necks. If we can buy ER and TA we will have made it, as we can sell TA for a huge profit for housing development but the present owners cant because we have first dabs at a fixed price which slides upwards each year. We could have had it for £8m 4 seasons ago it will now cost us circa £9.3m, but worth close to £20m. We could then buy land and develop a new academy. We are still playing at least half of the teams in our league who get parachute payments, so although we get 30,000 gates they still earn way more than us because of this unfair system that rewards failure

bucks_is_leeds and Whitejock like this.
  3. LeedsLover

LeedsLover Well-Known Member

Not so sure it's lack of investment Eire,

Let's not forget Cellino gave Monk free reign to bring in his own players, including Pedraza and 20 thousand quid a week Barrow late in season (I'm bamboozled as to how that one happened). Cellino also paid out quite a few millions for some players instead of just thousands, so for me I don't think it's down to lack of investment.

Thing is, the club can't keep buying new players cos managers/coaches bring in duds, if that happened we'd have a squad of 50 players and be back in debt again.

We still have 6 opportunities to gain promotion, if we don't make it, then a whole lot of varied questions will be asked by the leeds fans, and they'll be pointing in all different directions.

If we don't get promoted, then I don't believe it will be Cellinos fault, he's done his bit.....:emoticon-0148-yes:

Old Git and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  4. Eireleeds1

Monk had no free
    Reign to bring in players except freebies. Do you think he'd have been allowed sign a 5m pound player. No. Freebies and
    Loaners get you a certain standard and that's where Monk was forced
    To shop

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  5. LeedsinYork

LeedsinYork Well-Known Member

Cellino doesn't do free reign and neither does he invest. The majority of duds in our squad the last couple of seasons are almost all down to your cheapskate interfering owner. The sooner he goes the better.

6. LeedsLover

Roofe cost 3 million quid, Antonsson 2.4 million Euros, Hernandez - undisclosed fee.

Liam Bridcutt - undisclosed fee but one site says 1.15 mill Euros.

Jansson - 4million Euros....I'm presuming this is the intended fee, or fee already paid to Torino.

Not sure on the Hernandez fee to Al Arabi.

Monk was given free reign to bring in the players he wanted, which is probably why quite a few are from Swansea or ex Swansea players......:emoticon-0148-yes:

7. LeedsLover

Well he seems to have when he brought Monk in......:emoticon-0148-yes:

8. Eireleeds1

The majority already were at the club so how did they strengthen the squad in January

9. LeedsLover

Think we're on different pages here Eire, apologies if it's my mistake.

Cellino gave Monk free reign to bring in players he wanted when Monk came to club, he brought quite a few players in as well.

Monk brought in Pedraza and Barrow, his choices I believe, if they flop it's Monks responsibility, not Cellinos......:emoticon-0148-yes:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  10. Eireleeds1

We likely are as original comment related to our poor activity in January. Backed up by the fact Cellino told Rad to keep his money in his pocket and not to be tempted to splash the cash. Like I said, hope were not spending the summer debating if onlys

11. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

A free reign possibly, but that means very little if you control the budget. I could give you the freedom to buy any car you like but you're not going to get a great if I limit you to a £1000. Barrow and Pedraza are loans, the usual look before you buy. Not necessarily going to attract top quality with that approach and perhaps all he could get in with limited funds and wages?

12. Eireleeds1

Exactly right <applause> Makes Monks achievements to date all the more impressive

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  13. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

On a different tack, it could be the case that additional signings might have forced a second wheel off, one already being blown away with the 2 signings we got.

It's easy to forget that we were cruising as a cohesive team until January. Trying to fit in 2 new wingers really upset the applecart. From the team knowing the system & knowing their responsibilities, it all went to hell. The new boys didn't fit in & it totally disrupted us. They clearly didn't know what everyone else was doing, & no-one knew what they were doing. Total disharmony. And where are we now? Barrow won't play again. Pedraza gets games, but I personally don't rate him. I'd rather stick to the team that got us where we are.

Remember, when they signed on 31/1, we had played 28 games & had gathered 51 points. That also included our awful start, but we were in 4th place, and had a points haul of 1.82 points per game. Now we're 7th, with a points haul of 1.47 per game since 31/1, and still disjointed & inconsistent.

Hopefully this year we will do all our signings pre-season & leave January for genuine emergencies - no matter what league we find ourselves in.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  14. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have to say I'm happy with Cellino so far this season and in his defence, Monk has wasted some on the likes of Grimes, Barrow and Antonsson. I even question could we have spent wiser than Hernandez, Sacko and O'Kane. Cellino even kept his word and refused to cash in on Taylor

Of course Monk has got a lot right too and the acid test will be what happens should we remain in this division. If we keep Monk, sign up Pontus and Bartley and get Wood on a longer contract then we have made good progress.

Whitejock likes this.