1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Are we confident we will go up still?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Merino's Ballerina Feet, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Merino's Ballerina Feet

Merino's Ballerina Feet Well-Known Member

I think we will jist scrape second at best now. Teams have worked us out.
    Hope I'm wrong.

Captainchaos. likes this.
  2. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Absolutely mate I'm positive about that and I'm delighted we haven't wasted money on more championship players because we can get better in only a few more months once our premiership status is confirmed

3. Fork Handles

Fork Handles Well-Known Member

Yes 99% certain

4. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

"Are we confident we will go up still?"

We 'should' have a strong enough squad to secure promotion, BUT I am a little less confident than before the window started.

in that time other teams have really hit form AND have strengthened during the window, while we have looked short of ideas and have basically brought Sameobi back in.

We have Shelvey back, players returning from ACON and Gayle due back, so I hope things will be on the up. But the players seriously need to up their game to keep the likes of Brighton, Reading, Leeds, Huddersfield and Wednesday at bay.

Those teams are hitting fine form so we can't afford to slip into play offs as they tend to favour the team with momentum. So we really need to stay top 2.

My bigger concern is whether the Townsend deal failing will be to Rafa like the Milner sale was to Keegan. If Ashley fooks him off then we're stuffed.

5. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

As crap as we have generally been this season, I still think we will go up as Champions. We have PL class players at the end of the day and their class will tell. Rafa though does need to change tact and start playing two up top and attack teams. Play to our strengths and we should get out of this league.

Obi Wan likes this.
  6. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

Assuming we get 4 points from our two games in hand, we will have a 7 point gap on 3rd with 17 games to play. Nothing is certain but that gives us excellent odds

7. KazakhToon

KazakhToon Well-Known Member

I think we'll perhaps be pipped to the title by Brighton, but should be well ahead of the playoffs. I predict there'll be 1 or 2 points between first and second place, and about 5 between second and third.

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.
  8. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I'm confident.

I just can't see how Rafa can **** it up that badly. He has the best squad, he has rotated so should have the most fresh squad.

All he has to do is ensure he doesn't make the same mistakes as in the first half of the season and we will win the league.

If he repeats the same again, it will then depend on injuries and who gets injured. If he remains stubborn and that happens then I think we will just scrape by in 2nd.

Either way I'd be shocked if he did so badly we didn't achieve automatic promotion.

9. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Of course. Nobody can argue that Andros Townsend is the difference between promotion and play-offs, that's nonsense. We're more than strong enough to win this league, let alone get promoted.

Rafa's team will be the freshest. Our best player has played around 8 or 9 times less than, say, Knockaert of Brighton. We have Diame, Gayle and Atsu returning, all of whom would most likely walk into any other team in the division. We've beaten Leeds, Reading and Brighton quite comfortably already. We've had our 'blip', everybody gets them, no team goes a season without difficult times. Villa, Derby, Brentford, Blackburn might find themselves resurgent, which affects our rivals too.

I'd fancy us more than ever to win the league. We're like Mo Farah on the shoulder with a few laps to go.

Delusional Full Stop likes this.
  10. Obi Wan

Lots of valid points and positivity above and in theory we have the assets to gain promotion. But football is football - and this is NUFC. Ask me again after tonight's game.

11. Obi Wan

I'm swaying towards NO. We are ****e.

12. Gordonthetoony

Gordonthetoony Well-Known Member

All the teams have us sussed out now. We are utter rubbish at home and I for one am despairing at Rafa team selection. No variation, stupid substitutions and he refuses to see how ****e Lascelles, Perez, Dummett are.( His favs I believe ) Leeds, Reading etc closing in on us and unless someone gives Rafa a kick up the arse we will be dragged into a play off position.

anyobrien likes this.
  13. Captainchaos.

No offence but I think he knows more than you

we all knew this season would be tough but clearly people expected us to run away with the league deep down.

I didn't

14. Lord Jonjomort

Guys, I'm angry as fck, but come on - 6-1 tonight would have been a fair reflection. The worst OG you'll ever see coupled with THREE appalling misses.

15. Obi Wan

I never expected us to run away with it, but I also didn't expect us to be utter ****e.

16. Gordonthetoony

Gordonthetoony Well-Known Member

It;s because he knows more than me that I expect better. We all watch the matches week in, week out and see our weaknesses, so how does he not. He spends all transfer window chasing winger when it's proper defenders we need. Just look at how many goals we have given away just either side of half time or in dying minutes of a game.
    I never ever saw us walking away with the league but honestly thought Rafa had more than one style to play and no matter how bad a team we are playing we now struggle against them.

17. Lord Jonjomort

I do admit, whilst I don't think it's doom & gloom at all (we're second, four points above Reading with a game in hand), I am astonished by how easily we concede. There's a problem somewhere and I think we need three at the back. Three from Clark, Mbemba, Lascelles, Hayden, Hanley and Dummett. Stop playing Dummy at left back when he's not one. Get Yedlin further up the pitch. Get a left wing back in (Lazaar surely? Even Colback?!).

Try something else, or we're going to watch the good ol' 4-2-3-1 come unstuck vs Schteve Macca McClaren.

18. Captainchaos.

We're 2nd 4 points clear of third with a game in hand and will probably beat Brighton so stop over reacting we could have won easily and played done decent stuff

19. Consett Mag

Consett Mag Well-Known Member

I think it's up in the air. We didn't look confident for long periods tonight. If Gayle needs more time, or breaks down, he'll be a big miss.

If Gayle and Atsu come back fresh, then we should stay in the top two.

We haven't had even a small lift in the window. Trying week.

20. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

If Mitrovic had missed the chances that Perez did tonight he would be condemned. Perez is ****ing ****. An absolute ****ing liability