1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Are we aiming too high?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Strattonblue, May 17, 2011.

1. Strattonblue

Strattonblue Guest

First article on the new forum, so its time to lose my Not606 virginity, so be gentle with me boys.

A few days ago it was Sharp, today we are being linked with Danny Graham. My question is this - should we in fact be looking more at the lower leagues. It's nice to be linked with 2-3 Million Pound players, but how likely is it that we will attract that sort of player? My worry is that we are not a particularly easy club to sell at the present time and that there are plenty of clubs out there, who at present at least, may make a much better move for these players. We all think that this is a great club, but to the outside world we have gone nowhere in the last few years except possibly downwards.

So rather than trying to lure players that are already in this division, shouldnt we be looking for the next Walters? The likes of Coppinger, Maynard, Graham and (dare I say it) Simeon Jackson and the Pieman all started out life in the lower leagues. There are good players out there. This type of player is far more likely to join us.

What do you think?

2. Tractor Tim

Tractor Tim Member

Andy Drury is perhaps a case in point of looking lower down.

There can be nothing more satisfying than picking a gem from the lower leagues and watching them blossom in to an outstanding player on your watch. For two reasons; first and most obvious; you get the benefit of their contribution but; secondly of course, in this day and age, where cash is so much the football currency, being able to 'sell on' at a huge mark up has its many benefits too - Jon Walters. That said, a club with ambition should not be fearful of looking to attract the established and well known players who have a proven track record at the higher levels. I do think there is something to be said too for picking a player in the twilight of their career (not a crock!). I well remember Alan Sunderland coming to us and making a great contribution well after the zenith of his career. I'd love us to pick up a Giggs or Scholes at some point in the next year or two! Just have to avoid the ex prem players who are merely looking for a final payday.

Perhaps the answer is a blend of everything. I do agree that we don't have a great story to pitch right now as you point out but, PJ is well respected, we do have a great history (though we really can't just rely on that), great infrastructure at Portman Road and Playford Road and a lot of respect around the country, all backed by a major shareholder who has shown he has ambition. There is therefore a compelling story to be told and perhaps its more a case of 'come and be part of the future' that is the best way to sell ourselves to the more established players.

I'd be delighted to see a host of new faces coming through this summer; a mix of new blood from the lower leagues, some well known experienced players, plus of course some of those already with us and our great youth coming through the ranks. We'll be in the Champions League before you know it!

In answer to your specific question; No, I don't think we're aiming too high. It's better to "shoot for the stars and make it to the moon" is my adage on this one!

3. JimbobITFC

JimbobITFC Member

I agree Tim.

I do think PJ will look to the lower leagues to find 'gems', but the problem sometimes with the lower league players is that sometimes they can take a while to adjust to Championship football! Not all players are like that for example Jon Walters...however at the moment Andy Drury has looked promising at times, but I think is getting to speed with Championship football, and I have no doubt that he will become a good player with a few more matches!

So at the moment im happy we are linked with players such as Billy Sharp, Coppinger and Graham players we need who have been there and done it in the Championship! I think its a good move, and theres no reason like Tim said that these players wouldnt want to move to Town! With the history and infrastructure, we should be able to attract some decent players!

4. Tractor Boy Steve Getting Slimmer

Ere ere TT

I echo your sentiments through and through

COYB

5. Strattonblue

Strattonblue Guest

But the acid test is whether any of these boys actually sign....

6. Rushmere

Rushmere Member

Lower league 'potential gems' would be a good bet but I would be happier if they were not the ones that we are relying on fully (ie the 25 goal a season merchant). These guys would need some time to develop and fit (as pointed out above) and it would be unfair and unproductive to expect too much too soon.

A mix is certainly the way to go (in terms of experience and potential) but we do need to start with a core of players that will give us a fighting chance from day one.

7. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Member

Like what has been said I agree that we need to have a mix. As well as bringing the kids through we've also supplemented them with (albeit moderate success) with lower league gems.

An experienced striker is essential. I think we'll end up relying too much on Wickham again with maybe Murray getting the odd game. If we had a wise old head in the squad it would add to the balance.

What happens if we don't get an offer for Scotland or Priskin? Should they both be shown the door or do we keep either of them?

We've so much rebuilding to do for the forthcoming season, it's a bit of a worry that we'll waste yet another season.....

8. billypockets 606

A mix of youth and experience is needed. We have a few young starlets coming through so should be looking to buy experienced players. And just because players have played lower league football it doesn't mean they aren't experienced. Look at Matt Holland and Grant Holt as examples of this. Two of the best players for Ipswich and Norwich in recent times and both form lower leagues.

You can't pin your hopes on one type of player. Look at Chelsea, all manner of internationals and all very experienced, and Arsenal, more youth than a park on a friday night, but neither team came close to Man Utd with their side balanced with youth and experience. All of their players were hungry for success this season and it has really shown. Sadly the best example of this in the Championship this season was Norwich and credit to them. We need to build our empire on solid foundations and I believe that Jewell is doing just that. But it will take time and hopefully we'll be pushing for promotion in the next 2-3 seasons.