1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Are Liverpool in a Perpetual State of Transition?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Jimmy Squarefoot, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

But it's something. <whistle>

2. Red Hadron Collider

Red Hadron Collider The Hammerhead

Murphy is something of a **** <ok>

3. AndyI

AndyI Well-Known Member

If Rogers was half a coach he'd of taken the point that Mourinho offered him that game. At that point Jose didn't lose many big games and he didn't wan't to lose that one but the way he set up he wasn't bothered about winning it either. Rogers could of tried to break them down patiently whilst ensuring he didn't give anything away, Rafa would of.

When Gerrard slipped there was **** all defensive cover around (as always with Liverpool in the last 5/6 seasons to be frank) The whole ****ing team was over hill and far away. They were no better without the ball than Ardilles's Spurs.

City scored as many but conceded a lot less that season leading to the GD difference which caused the chaos at Palace.. You can't win Titles with a **** defence and/or poor defending, even with Suarez and a 43 game season.

4. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Bloody fun league season though. Best in my life time and I wouldn't swap for anything!

AndyI likes this.
  5. AndyI

AndyI Well-Known Member

I preferred the 08/09 season when we hammered a very good Utd team (not the **** of 13/14) home and away with Torres unplayable.

Rafa stuffed that season up IMO as the team was very good (results against top4 were stellar) and it was better and far more balanced than the 13/14 team.

6. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

2013-14 was far more exciting. Rafa's teams were good to watch but it could also be dull at times, especially against the top sides when it was a defend first mentality

7. moreinjuredthanowen

but he's not wrong.

he should admit it was an utterly fluke in 2013/14 that utd fell apart and cheslea were in disarray... and arsenal are arsenal.... We got VERY lucky that suarez hit his zenith for us and everything clicked. LIKE liecester.

If we'd won it i can say with some confidence that were were always going to tank the year after as well. why? cos of who was in charge and squad size.

8. moreinjuredthanowen

I agree.

Pre Christmas he was playing keane through gritted teeth but he got 7/8 goals and won games and kept us up there. When he was old immediately torres and gerrard got injured, we had a disaster few games and were too far back.. I totally agree that rafa stuffed it after building it.

9. InBiscanWeTrust

InBiscanWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

If we'd had 08/09 defence in Rodgers team we'd have probably won the league. Carra, arbeloa, hyypia, riise were all better than any of our defender and in 08/09

similaly if we'd had decent back up for torres in 08/09 like we did under Rodgers when had Suarez Sterling and Sturridge then would prob won the league then.

All ifs and buts though.

10. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

We got unlucky in that city and Chelsea has half decent years in 13 when we were close. If they'd had the same year that they had last season when Leicester won we'd have walked the league!

11. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

The whole universe is in a perpetual state of transition.

Zingy likes this.
  12. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

I think transition is a word Reds have lived off for years, as it suggests that you're always on the cusp of returning to your supposed rightful position.

The cold hard and probably unpalatable facts are, that you've not won the league in a generation and you're the 5th highest funded club in the league and guess what, you're 5th

13. moreinjuredthanowen

in fairness city ended on 86 point which was prety good. They had two runs of 10 in a row as well. OYu are right if everyone stepped aside yes 84 would have been better than leicester

In the end we mucked it up at christmas with two losses to them and then followed it up v chelsea.

draw to city even.... well... we did our best that year... unlike this year imo

14. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Bit harsh.

Think the "lack of cover" was because Gerrard wanted to collect the ball and play hollywood passes. It could have been a defender who slipped after playing the ball back to. The tactics of "attacking" were fine. You guys were dominating possession. What didn't help was captain "fantastic" tried to make up for it and then decided to shoot and play more hollywood balls rather than being patient.

* Record Points Total likes this.
  15. InBiscanWeTrust

Forum Moderator

It wasn't even the Chelsea game that ruined it. It was the palace game and stupidly rather than settling for the win, decided to try make up a 10 goal gapin GD. We were never going to win the league on GD, just had to win our games. Win that Palace game, less pressure to win the Chelsea won and could be diff story.

16. LuisDiazgamechanger

Tobes, that's not pleasant. Rightful position???:lipsrsealed::lipsrsealed:.

17. moreinjuredthanowen

well I would say this.

IT was GAME AWARENESS to know it was 46mins on clock and you were 0-0. both CBS were on tramlines, both full backs were 20 yards up pitch

Bascially gerrrd was looking at RB and let ball run under his foot.

YES it was hollywood ball time but the WHOLE TEAM were guilty of poor game awareness.

I then agree after that Gerrard went on a solo effort shooting form all sorts and made it easy.

I always say real players are aware of the time of the game are adjust accordingly. We shoudl have been fine with 0-0 and shut the game down fomr 40mins went in at HT talked over how to go for it for 20mins then say ok 0-0 is ok for us.

If we took 0-0 we would have shut down the 3-1 at palace easy... and won league

We bottled it on the sideline and on the pitch. real players don't play last ditch attack and hollywood balls deep in first half injury time when game is under control. The whole team and manager were poor.... but us LFC fans were watching games like stoke and west ham wathcing mad stuff happen and riding along on it. IT was inevitable cos the side never showed that winning awareness.

A mourinho, dare i speak his name, would NEVER allow his side make that error.

AndyI likes this.
  18. moreinjuredthanowen

no it wasn't.

The cheslea game started the slide. Once we lost that it was in city's hands and they won all games making palace irrelevant.

We went in at ht 3-0 up and were chasing 8 or 9 or something stupid to catch city on GD. once one goal went in we imploded.

the PALACE game came AFTER the CHELSEA one.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  19. Prince Knut

Is right, Bobby. We still had an hour to get an equaliser, albeit against an understandably packed, ten-man defence, and it didn't help that SG was trying to hoik them in from 35 yards to make up for his error. It just wasn't our day. It wasn't just the slip though - people forget that Chelsea came close on two occasions from set-pieces before that. That Liverpool side could never 'settle' for a 0-0 against anyone, but, alas, all title-winning sides have to be able to do that. As I said on another post, after our games against Everton and City in December I was hopeful that was one corner we had turned; turns out, to mix metaphors, it was yet another false dawn in terms of keeping clean sheets.

Mind you, we looked okay-ish against Spurs, but Sun did miss a chance, didn't he?

BobbyD likes this.
  20. Prince Knut

Agree with that, except we went in 1-0 up at HT, we had 3 by the hour mark and THEN went berserk trying to get 8 or 9. Even then, there was still time to shut up shop at 3-1 and realise we weren't get 8 or 9 anyway, but out on the pitch they just completely lost the game awareness you spoke of.