1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Apathy reigns at Charlton

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Mar 11, 2017.

1. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

A truly bizzare, almost surreal atmosphere at the Valley today, picked up by other Charlton fans on social media.

The crowd was poor - around 6,500 including a lot of free comps for local school kids in the East.

Muted booing at half time. Noticeable when there was a lengthy stoppage for Konsa's injury, you could clearly hear Robinson and the players talking from North Upper.

Huge, huge gaps in the Stands (close the East, FFS) and loads of those who were there chatting and on their phones during the admittedly awful
    game.

My main point in this thread is this, though. 14th in League One. Season over. A muppet for a manager. A team full of cack.

AND NOT A PROTEST TODAY IN SIGHT.

Just the acrid whiff of apathy, pouring off the deserted stands.

2. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

I think we must be close to a takeover. If no takeover happens our Club is effectively dying.

3. User deleted as requested

Like you and @Miketyson2007 and @ForestHillBilly i was a "Selhurst veteran" in the 80s. This now feels far worse. The apathy is staggering.
    At least the Club still had a beating heartbeat back then.

Can you begin to imagine what the Valley will look like in League 1 next season ? How many of this seasons 60% ST renewals will be back ?

4. The Kish

The Kish Well-Known Member

One strange thing Robinson has introduced, which effects atmosphere, is attacking the North Stand in the first half. Had we been attacking the Covered End in the second and looking for a winner then I'm sure the crowd that was there would have picked up.

I did write a long essay this week in the CARD thread on the divisions between the match going fans and those that have given up. I think lots of work needs to be done by the various supporters groups this summer to ensure that the fanbase survives the Duchatlelet regime.

5. User deleted as requested

Interesting anecdote in Voice of the Valley today about Regime Apologist Sue Parkes.

Joe Read @Addickted2TheReds had bought tickets for the AFC Wimbledon game, but they were not delivered. He then arranged with Charlton to collect them on the day at the ground. When he got there, they were still not there for him. Chris Parkes was then asked to give Joe Read comps out of his allocation, at which point Sue Parkes intervened saying

"Don't give them to HIM Chris"

Divisions within the fan base will never heal with that woman around the club.

6. CAFC'sBestInterests

CAFC'sBestInterests Well-Known Member

Reamsy's Twin - "The acrid whiff of apathy, pouring off the deserted stands"
    Is the consequence of removing all hope from the fans. The last thing a football fan holds onto.

Let's hope so. There's nothing else left for him to sell.
    Does anyone really believe that RD will invest in making the squad stronger next season?
    6 previous transfer windows don't lie.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  7. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

We're down to the bare bones on and off the pitch. Duchatalet has really achieved soething special with his mismanagement. Pre Selhurst crowd numbers, a football team below anything most of us have previously seen, eight managers, but through it all, the Smirk has kept her position. It shows where his priorities lie. The fact is the season is dying. Karl's incompetence looked as if we would get sucked in to a relegation dogfight (we may yet) but a 1-1 draw at home to Walsall, with Walsall the ones needing a win to keep the play off hopes alive! No wonder the average Joe's are spending saturday at Bluewater.

8. User deleted as requested

I said almost exactly the same thing to my sons walking back to the car yesterday. The Club won't be able to survive like this much longer, and that's not being melodramatic. Just imagine the attendances and strength of our team next season.

VOTV had a picture yesterday of our 3 new signings in 2015 - barely 2 years ago

Ben Haim
    Buyens
    Gudmondsen

Look at their relative quality compared to what we have now, and then visualise what we would have in 2019 if the Belgians were still here.

9. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Aribo and Konsa won't get the sort of windfall Lookman and Gomez brought in. Ricky Holmes will more likely go to make up the shortfall needed to pay the likes of Igor, Sarr and Kashi's wages. It would take an exceptional manager to put together a squad for next season with any realistic ambition to aim for the play-offs. With Roland and his CEO still here I can only see the downward spiral continuing.

10. CAFC'sBestInterests

Sadly that's been the case so far. Sell Peter to pay for (cheaper) Paul.
    Problem is 95% of the time Paul turns out to be sh1t

ForestHillBilly likes this.

11. User deleted as requested

Just look at the January transfer window for the latest dose of reality.

5 players in -

Forster- Caskey - career sicknote.

Byrne - 5/10 loan being played out of position

De Silva - one appearance off the bench loan

Matividi - gone already

Page - 80 grand, we should have asked West Ham for change.

Absolutely awful. Only the blind can't see.

12. CAFC'sBestInterests

and the11m from sales goes in RD's pocket