1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Anyone still playing?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Mar 27, 2017.

1. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Do any of you regular posters on here still actually play the beautiful game?
    Although I retired from Wiltshire league football and suffered a bad injury about 11 years ago, I still play 5-a-side twice a week most weeks.
    I have my first 11-a-side game for about 6 years tonight - a friendly vs Fairford Town.
    I hope they have the St Johns Ambulance cardio unit on standby - I expect to struggle!
    I'm really looking forward to it though - apart from the annoying fact we will be playing in Swindon Town kit, so I'll have to retrieve my Swindon shirt from the cat basket and pull off the hairs and pieces of gunk before I can wear it!

2. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

No, rugby injuries caught up with me, dodgy everything now. My exercise now involves chasing my doberman around a field when he decides he doesn't want to come back.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  3. banksyisourhero

banksyisourhero Well-Known Member

Last time I played in an over 40s game I was in agony for 2 weeks after.

Lesson learnt won't be doing that again..<laugh>

4. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I played a couple of games of walking football at my mobile place down in Cornwall recently, it bloody nearly killed me, I still hobbled to the club bar though, does that count?

5. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

Always remember a mate of mine used to say he was built for comfort not for speed.

6. bcfcredandwhite

I don't know many people who played both rugby AND football into adulthood - I think you must be a rare breed indeed RH!

7. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

I played rugby till I was 23 and also football on and off till 30's 2 or 3 games maybe a year, played cricket till 2 years ago but might play this year... last football game was 2 years ago lost 10-9 in a best of 20 .. table football that was, I was knackered afterwards

8. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Did my cruciate at 34 - that ended football (still miss it)

Gave up cricket when I was about 41 - not moving feet properly - bad back meant I suffered for a couple of days afterwards - was the right time

9. wings-of-a-crow

wings-of-a-crow Well-Known Member

was seriously looking at the walking football after coming to the conclusion that the mind could play a good game but the legs were useless, allways make to the bar tho.

10. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Played my last competitive game when I was 52, 73 now, couldn't even play walking football, my legs are gone completely, they are so bad can't even chase the wife anymore, not that she'd want me to mind.

11. gdknac

gdknac Well-Known Member

Gave up football in 30s and kept generally fit but took running up 8 years ago. Started with a 10k and gradually went up. Ran my first Marathon aged 52 and have done 4 more since together with a total of 27 half marathons. 7 times at Bath which is my favourite next to the Great North Run

12. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Good job there wasn't an upper age limit <laugh>

banksyisourhero likes this.
  13. bcfcredandwhite

I know that's the next stage for me - I'm lucky to be even considering a 'normal' game at my age (50) but I will keep going with walking football when my body tells me it's time.
    Not sure if I will be able NOT to run though - do you have to do that mincy butt-clenching fast walk that they do in the Olympic walking races?

14. bcfcredandwhite

Competitive at 52 ain't bad. Fair play.

15. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Still play 5 a side. Play odd game of eleven a side vets and against the twenty year olds and will be doing tournaments in the summer. At 52 I'm still not reaching embarrassingly slow when running in straight lines, but turn ten times slower than my mind works. My heading ability is the thing that has decreased to a comical level .. I barely get off the ground. Still train very regularly, but short stamina sessions with no long runs in sessions of thirty minutes.

16. Red Hub

Red Hub Active Member

Perhaps we could form a blow football team, sounds the limit to where we are all at.

17. RedorDead

30 plus years of smoking, I will have to be ref I think ;)

18. johngalleyfan2

I stopped smoking at 1832 pm Saturday 16th October 1976 at Porth yr Ogof ..... closest I came to a puff was that Christmas at a party when I had one un inhaled drag on a massive cigar that was being passed around !

19. RedorDead

I gave up half time in the match against Fleetwood 1st Feb 2015. Promised myself I would give up before I was 50 so I was 18 months early :)

banksyisourhero likes this.
  20. johngalleyfan2

I smoked 1 tin GOLDEN VIRGINIA 2 oz , plus 1/2 to 1 ounce some weeks, also for convienience had 20+ no10 or no6 available... had just taken off my wet suit, stood there almost in the buff, took a pre rolled ciggy from tin, looked at it and that was it, a year later the tin still had a few roll ups and 2 no 10's in it. The tin was a 2 oz GV tin I covered all over with used match's in a lovely pattern with a half cron as A CENTRE PEICE .. to completely be free I got the half crown off and totally destroyed the tin ...........
    will power and about 100 packet of polo's