1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

any new jordan hendersons?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Commachio, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

with the recent rise of safc both in league position and calibre of players, is there any new jordans coming through the ranks and more importantly are they going to get the break they need, we have seen brucey will give youth a chance, but with the demand for sucess how many youngster are going to make it through the ranks to the first team.
    surely it must be nigh on impossible for them now as they would have to oust a full blown international from his position. so with the sucess of a team so it seems to make it harder for youngsters to play for their beloved team. the academy and everything gives them a chance of making it, but because of the nature of the game not with the bigger teams unfortunately.
    so while young jordan has a dip in form, give him a break, he is a local lad done good, we should all be proud of his sucess and lets, lets hope some more have the chance to follow him

2 len ashhurst 458 apps 4 goals.jpg 2.len ashurst 458 apperances 4 goals

2. BillySmartsCircus

i don't think that a team being successful necessarily means they can't bring through good players - it's about how they manage and develop them. man utd are the most successful english team of the last twenty years, but look at the young players they've brought through recently - welbeck, evans, cleverley, as well as the young lads they've imported like macheda and diouf. you're right, the better the side the harder it is for young lads to break through, but that's what the loan system is for, to give young players the chance of first team football.

as for our young prospects, i've heard good things about jordan cook, he's looked pretty handy the couple of times i've seen him in the first team, so hopefully he could benefit from a full season in the championship. otherwise, adam reed, blair adams and ryan noble all have good reputations, though i've seen less of them in the first team.

3. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

We will start to see a steady flow of good young players through the academy over the next few years i dare say.

Leeds, West Ham and Middlesbrough are great producers of youth, their academies were up and running a good few years before ours.

We used to lose talent to Boro due to our lack of facilities, that shouldn't be the case, i can see the club going down a 'Barcelona and Arsenal' route as well, and scouting kids from abroad and bringing them over.

I'd love to see us produce a top class striker, hopefully Noble can be that man, he seems to take the step ups in age group etc in his stride, i've never seen him play, but i've avidly followed his progress the last 2 years, he may well be the 'next Jordan' as you put it.

I have to say i don't see Colbaek making it here, but then, i thought Meyler was awful early doors, and he proved me wrong!

4. topboy

topboy Guest

young jordan cook looks the real deal from what ive seen so far mind

5. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Good point mate.

He looked good when he came on at Old Trafford, i fear he might not get much game time this season, but he certainly looks very promising.

Cheers for pointing out my miss on that!

Cook certainly looks more naturally suited to the team and the league than Colbaek.

6. topboy

topboy Guest

are youi for real?

7. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I am for real yes, i'm sat right here, and i can confirm i do exist.

What's your point?

8. topboy

topboy Guest

hmm i am just checking , hmmm

9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Thanks for your concern chris ;)

10. Dazzla_FTM

Dazzla_FTM Member

TopBoy is definately Big_Chris!!! knew he would return...but did not think it would be this quick!!

11. topboy

topboy Guest

sorry mate but your wrong on this count like. i have no association with big_chris and i am as keen as anyone to meet him. dazzla fish him out son

12. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

We know it's you, you use the same inbred lingo.

13. BillySmartsCircus

didn't cook make an appearance late in the villa game too?? looked comfortable on the ball, and like he might do something with it. noble is the one i have highest hopes for, anyone know if he's over that back problem yet?? would like to see him in and around the first team while we wait on campbell and welbeck.

though i hope colback can make the same step up that meyler did, i don't think he's cut out for the prem - meyler is 6'3" i think?? colback's a tiny lad in comparison, just don't think he will cope with the physical side of things and he's looked a bit overawed in his few appearances. did well for keano at ipswich last year mind. looks like waghorn's found his level too, bruce made a good call there.

14. topboy

topboy Guest

height isnt everything, im only 5 foot 6 but i am a great player on my day

15. BillySmartsCircus

yeah, i bet you're a genuine lionel messi.

the point is, the premier league is exceptionally physical, and unless you are supremely gifted, you need to be able to put yourself about a bit, and not be put off your game by bigger players. henderson and meyler don't shirk anything - hendo may be nervous about putting his foot in, but he doesn't get bullied. colback looked quality in the championship, but has not been able to stamp his authority on a game once for us in the prem, and for a central midfielder, that's a problem. personally, i don't think colback is cut out for the prem. time will tell though.

16. Dyavvy

Dyavvy Member

Im reading all these threads with a great deal of interest...Firstly Its just great that the discussion is going on ! There are great spin offs from Jordan Hendersons success All the aspiring youngsters can look look at him and fancy a piece of what hes doing We havent always had that The trick is for them to get there and stay If Bruce has real passion for lifting us to the next level its a careful juggling act between that and spending Bruce has personal understanding of what class youth can do from his Man Utd days .
    My other thought is just imagine what a good youngun would have to "be" and "do" to get into a Chelsea forward line at the moment...or any part of the team actually come to that....Great to support a real club isnt it?.....By the way I believe if hes good enough hes big enough young Wilshere looks good....If we keep having Hendos we`ll find a Wilshere

17. BillySmartsCircus

there was a good article in the evening standard the other night to the same effect vis a vis chelsea and their forward line, basically saying how when push came to shove, abramovich would rather chuck money at the problem rather than stick to his guns and develop the young players they have. they all banged on about how sturridge was a great bit of business, but when they really had to make a choice, they shipped him out and spunked £50m on torres. there is no sustainability there, compared to arsenal and man utd who do bring through young lads.

i agree that if you are good enough you are big enough, that's my point with colback - i just don't think he's good enough. bruce turned down a loan approach on deadline day though so he must see something??

18. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

chris/ topprat/bellend/hermaphrodite lover or whatever name you go by your hacking me off, im back in a few weeks to see the folks pm me please (sorry mods)

sorry davvy, he hacks me off, there has to be good youngster out there and the big clubs need to keep producing them for the sake of english football most will not get into their favorite team first time around but have to take a detour to smaller clubs and then work their way up, you cant knock talent, maybe safc should take over darlo or monkey hangers and have them as our surrogate mothers for our upcomng talent[, we can produce them, they can look after for a while and then????????? good for ne football

g bennet.jpg 5. gary bennett c/b 443 appeaeances 25 goals

19. Dyavvy

Dyavvy Member

Whats really funny about all this is that some people say how you cant really compare todays football with whats gone down in the past (speed strength etc etc)....and for the second time in a week... Im looking back I didnt think that any body could play as slowly as Baxter did till I saw Zidane in the modern game....I was thinking a couple of days ago when voices crucified Jimmy Montgomery when he was 19.....and today its little Bobby Kerr who the voices are having a go at.....until he bent one in...
    ` Course theres a youngun out there....God your chest would explode with pride if Adam Johnson was doing somebody on the line and havin` a last draw on his fag before rollin it back slowly to somebody to score off their nob end

My lad wasnt born in the North East but he played for Bournemouth and Bristol Rovers as a kid ...Sometimes I couldnt help myself shouting stuff like "Breathe!!!!" Strangely hes up in the NE now and one of the first things he said to me was "Dad I cant believe it everybody`s like you...." Obviously thought I was a nutter all this time.....
    What he was talking about was the passion of course hes 19 now and getting his first taste of real passion I think something you understand maybe better from a distance.Weve got a great strength in the NE....Thats why Quinny has made his appeal...wouldnt it be ironic if the first time we have a real structure the numbers wobble..... I see a little winger 5 stone dripping wet and a colliery welfare voice shouting "Ginan youngun get thi barl owa..." and I always think of somebody like Wright Phillips and his like....if hed been Brazillian somebody would have called him "Little Bird" and hed `ve won a world cup.....
    If a player thinks the supporters are breathing for them they`ll come through no matter what their size and we`ll have another little Bobby lifting a ******* huge trophy....Other teams havent even got a dream!

20. Blunham Mackem

Blunham Mackem Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Was reading a good thread till Chris turned up...........