1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Another year, another fight for survival.

Discussion in 'Wigan' started by Orangputeh, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Orangputeh

Orangputeh Member

With 9 matches to go, Wigan are once more perilously close to the relegation zone, as in recent years.
    Since season 08/09, when Wigan finished 11th in the table, it has been too close for comfort, 16th in 09/10 and 10/11 and 15th last season.
    Now 17th and in a group of familiar relegation candidates, (Villa, QPR etc), survival time is here again!

So, what are the predictions? Who will go down?
    Will it be the current bottom three of Villa, Reading and QPR, or will Wigan finally head for the Championship?

2. fromthestands

fromthestands Member

Hello orangputeh not herd from you for a some time . the thing is with the latics is we are to good for the championship and not quiet good enough for the prem witch puts it into perspective of the time that we have spent in the best league in the world so i can`t speak for those other clubs its up to them how they survive the drop but rest assured we`l still be he in the premier for the 2013/14 season

3. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

I wish I had your confidence Stands. The only way we'll survive is if there are three worse teams than us, like last year when Wolves, Bolton and Blackburn were all terrible (our own wonderful run notwithstanding). Reading look like they might be a definite. QPR keep threatening to put together the results that you'd think their team is capable of. Villa are a big club with a solid core of support, and their supporters can do so much to keep them up. SOuthampton are playing a blinder just now. West Ham, who i still expect to finish well down the league, seem to have done enough. SUnderland - could they really get sucked back into it? There's always one who falls like a stone.

Anyway, I've decided to get to as many away games as possible, including QPR and West Ham in April. Just in case this is our last season. And I'll continue to BELIEVE right up till the end. If we go into the last game, at home to Villa, needing something to stay up, I'll be happy!

4. Orangputeh

Orangputeh Member

If anyone can keep Wigan from the drop, Martinez can!
    BBC Sport have a very interesting article today - "Premier League: Roberto Martinez's tips for staying up."

Their FA Cup performance v Everton was spectacular and a great game to watch. Reproduce that in the league and they could well beat their 10 match remaining points total of the 2011-12 season.<magic>

5. Orangputeh

Orangputeh Member

The BBC Sport article I linked to above has a very good comment from a matthueycamo, who may well be a Man Untd supporter and I hope he will not mind me reproducing his comment below.
    An excellent comment IMHO.

6. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

I know our spare game is against Citeh, but we have ten games left at the mo, not nine.

:)

Who knows how this is going to pan out? Wigan supporters will tell you - it a complete head job for our players. They get their heads right they can do wonderful things. But their menatl state seems so fragile sometimes. So who knows.

Our job is just to - Believe.