1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Anfield expansion thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by moreinjuredthanowen, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Page_Moss_Kopite

Page_Moss_Kopite Well-Known Member

Wind up Jimmy?

Only asking because there's no chance of us expanding Melwood.

2. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

Can't remember where I read it but someone did mention that we are looking to expand Melwood and turn into a world class facility - plans to built a purpose built media centre and sports science hospital as well.

The club is apparently buying up property at the northern and eastern ends.

Think the idea is to have everyone from under 18's and above training at the same place.

3. Page_Moss_Kopite

3 sides of Melwood are surrounded by private houses and the other side is a housing trust/council estate, the north side is a major traffic and bus route into the city.

Just can't see it happening Jimmy tbh.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  4. Jimmy Squarefoot

No idea mate - I don't know the area as well as you guys. I work in Real Estate finance and one of the project managers here is a scouser with connections in real estate and he is a big footy fan. He heard rumblings about the club buying more property which could lead to potential expansion.

Exciting if true!

5. Page_Moss_Kopite

Can't really understand why the acamedy isn't moved to the Melwood site and the seniors moved to Kirkby, there's more scope with less logistics where the academy is located, its basically in an industrial area and has housing only on one side.

6. Jimmy Squarefoot

I think the idea is to unite both bases. I'm sure there was a feasibility study done a couple of years. It's something FSG are really interested in.

From what I heard, Kirkby was only ever set up as a temporary base whilst Melwood was expanded. The plans were scrapped by Parry but FSG want to revive them.

Again, I don't know the area or what Kirkby is like but I heard that it's not conducive to klopps style.

7. Jimmy Squarefoot

I believe any work to be done on the training grounds will be done at weekends and in the summer - long summer tours are to be planned for the next few years I believe.

Another bit of info - FSG are re-looking at plans for Annie Road and the possibility of increasing the size to push total capacity to over 60k. Which would mean a look into local infrastructure.

I believe permission has already been given for the original Annie Road plans for 58k.

8. moreinjuredthanowen

TBH The club needs to get the academy and seniors in the same facility. this is what klopp has said.

The club has actually spent a lot on melwood over recent times so trashing that to move somewhere else is the issue.

That bit on Kirkby is wrong though jimmy 100%. the Academy at the time cost 12mil to build and 2mil per year to run.. that was a very deliberate strategy at the time and in hindsight it was not the right thing for the club due to the fact that it didn't align senior and junior structures. Again long term vision was poor... no DoF etc etc.

As for relooking at plans. what was planned thus far on the anfield road was preliminary only and detailed planning is required. If you heard that bit I would suggest they have still not made a final decision but are needing to increase the seats (probably by removing some of that night leg room in the main stand) to make it make sense

I was told by someone the 60k number is not really a hard number for transport and whether its 58k or 62k makes very little difference. Not sure there... it would be up to the council in the detailed plans. The current permission has the 58.4k number pullged into it in the sustainability studies etc so would require all of that submitted in detail.

I am told a final decision has not been made on the anfield road end.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  9. Jimmy Squarefoot

Nice one MITO.

All in all, there are some very exciting plans for the club and FSG are investing very well in the club (certainly off the pitch).

10. moreinjuredthanowen

Yes its all badly needed. Not sure what they will do with the training ground but i sort of expect a new pitch laid next summer and the new club shop in front of the ground to be built and thereafter this new anfield road end starting.

I call this the "peoples stand" cos it will not have corporate boxes in it. It's all GA and for me could be more impressive than the kop end as a stand. I think we should move the away fans into the centenary stand almost. Its that big a stand.

11. Jimmy Squarefoot

Developer Gauld Property Partnership wants to turn a site in Walton Lane, into a new fanzone for LFC & EFC fans prior to home games. (Echo)

12. moreinjuredthanowen

That will work well :emoticon-0112-wonde

they want LFC fans to hang round a wooden fire trap thats not that close compared to our OWN 2 fan zones on match days???

hmmm..

oh and goodison is going within a couple years according to tobes.. so....

13. Welshred

Welshred Member

Looking at the plans, I don't understand how a stand that large would only add 4800 seats. The lower stand which you can see will remain already holds 6391. The upper tier looks twice the size of the lower. I know we lose the current second tier but it's only around 2 and a half thousand. We should be able to add at least another 8 or 9 thousand.

14. moreinjuredthanowen

It's all concourses. I dunno what they are doing to the bottom. It's half the length of the main stand (a little more but)

So if it's losing 2k odd then added 6/7k back it is more or less equivalent though isn't It?

I think the theory is the seat is only half the revenue and you sit back there drinking massively expensive pish rather than spend in the local or whatever and the club makes it that way.

15. moreinjuredthanowen

16. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

It's going to be awesome when it's all finished. Love the fact we're keeping it old school rather than moving to some over hyped super bowl type arena.

Looking forward to seeing it since the new development some point this season. But when it's all finished it'll be so good.

17. Welshred

Welshred Member

But, if the upper tier is as wide as the bottom tier, which holds 6300 and that third plan you posted is to scale, the top tier is twice the height of the bottom tier (yes I am sad enough to have measured it with a ruler lol) then the top tier should hold around 12,000. Minus around 2500 current Anfield road upper, so increase of around 9500. As you said the actual amount isn't finalised yet, but I can't see how an upper tier as large as in those plans would only hold the same capacity as the lower tier does now. I suppose those outline plans are maximum dimensions, if they're only adding 4800 it will actually be much smaller when the final plans are submitted.

18. moreinjuredthanowen

Well... you have a point if you compare it to the kop end it looks bigger than that on the drawing.

19. moreinjuredthanowen

the only other thing is can think of are:

they've ignored the "you need to be a midget" design of the current stand and have used the same fat american leg room design that is in the main stand?

and there has to be some segragation of away and home so that might be taken out in the seat count?

20. moreinjuredthanowen

hopefully we will see it announced this season.. who knows.