1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

American billionaire bids to take over Pompey

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by SaintLapras, Mar 20, 2017.

1. EastneyPFC

EastneyPFC Well-Known Member

It's hard not to be wary about this - as Dev, PL, Woops etc have said it is a case of having had our fingers very burned previously. It does sound like the guy has a genuine number of highly decent bones in his body. I think the romantic in me loves the fact we are the biggest fans owned club in the country but realism says that to progress we need serious investment. I love Fratton Park but would not deny it is antiquated and in need of a lot improvement. I guess we'll see. Sat with cautious optimism.

More importantly lets keep our focus on getting out of Div 2. It's a tougher league than I think a lot of us realised and trying hard to play our way out of it has on occasion been our downfall, and that is not to say others don't attempt to play their way out too, we need a tougher edge to see us over the line and recent results in the main are showing signs of that being there.

2. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

I would oppose a new stadium. I would want Fratton Park renovated, enlarged and modernized. Call me sentamental but I like to keep in touch with history and would be dissapointed if we lost the only home the club has ever had.

3. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

In that case, you might have to ground share with... ;)

4. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Having thought about this a bit more, one thing that worries me somewhat, is the thought of what would happen if the deal went through, Michael Eisner bought the club, and then (heaven forbid !) sadly passed away say five years down the line. He is currently 75 years of age. What would be the succession to him as owner ?

Are his three sons interested in football one wonders ? Look what happened down the road - Saints owner died,and his daughter took over from him; I would say reluctantly; as she is now negotiating with the Chinese to sell the club to them.

The thought of being sold on by the Eisner family to another "rogue owner" terrifies me <yikes>

5. 3rd eye

3rd eye Well-Known Member

What I have heard Wooperts is that Michael Eisner heard Mark Catlin talking on a radio programme last summer when he was in the USA searching out a preseason tour and got in touch. He has been looking to buy a club in England for 3 or 4 years, he was looking at Reading not long ago but that didn't go anywhere. It's his investment company Tornante that will be buying if the shareholders agree, but although he likes football it's his son Eric who is the passionate English football lover, and he is the son who works for the family investment company.

It isn't his first foray into sports, apparently the film The Mighty Ducks was based on a hockey team he invested in through Disney when he was CEO. That's quite an interesting story in itself.

Why are the Americans interested in English football? It all comes down to the media money - £8bn into the Prem, and they'd all like a piece of it!

He has to convince the PST Community Shareholders, if he can't do that then it's a no-goer.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  6. 3rd eye

Mick Williams will be on Radio Solent at about 2.30 today to chat about what's going on, from what he knows. Could be worth a listen.

7. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

The only location I can think of would be where HMS Nelson is. If the MOD sell the land at a cheap rate - they should as the MOD is funded by the taxpayer, and the city has given the MOD everything in terms of human resources as well as the land, that the city could well utilise for its own benefit, it would be an excellent location to build a new stadium. One question ... does the MOD really need HMS Nelson? What exactly is it being used for? Better to transfer staff over to Collingwood, shut Nelson and let the city have that land.

8. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

I might be wrong but I think HMS Nelson is already shut. Pretty sure I've read that somewhere. Pompey folk would obviously know better. Last time I went past the place they were still sending lads up the mast to sit on the button.!

Wasn't there a site earmarked by the gun-running owners, at one point.?

9. 3rd eye

There is a lot more land around Fratton Park than people realise - PCC have zoned it for regeneration with an enhanced/enlarged stadium as the trigger. It's in the Portsmouth City plan.

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  10. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

EastneyPFC and 3rd eye like this.

11. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I can certainly understand the wariness. That said, Eisner's about as blue chip as you can get in terms of wealth; his money is real, it's stable, and he's unlikely to do anything too crazy. Unless you're certain that the Trust can take you where you want to go, you're unlikely to find a better option as owner.

12. 3rd eye

Although there are some who aren't eager to sell out, there are others who paid up to save the club and it's job done. The biggest worry does seem to be whether he is in this for the long term and if not who is he likely to sell on to, or even 3 owners down the line. Having been so close to oblivion they want assurances that the club will be owned and run properly. It's a wise precaution, but Michael Eisner promotes working in partnership so it isn't beyond the realms of possibility, and having been made aware of the Portsmouth story, that some form of role for the fans will be built into the deal. We shall see.

13. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if he was looking to buy and sell in the medium term. Your club is an enticing prospect owing to its fanbase and low standing, but it's also going to require some serious infrastructure investment at some point in the not too distant future, whether it's a wholly new stadium or a serious overhaul of Fratton. That, ultimately, means that it won't be profitable to turn around until/unless you're established in the Premier League. And while that's a bit of a crapshoot (the prices of PL teams are so high that most of the individuals or organizations that can afford it are at least a little sketchy) it'd be the same prospect with the Trust at that point.

Wooperts_duck and 3rd eye like this.
  14. EastneyPFC

EastneyPFC Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link Woop - interesting stuff about the city's potential and the reality of being an island city. Schad your point is a good one - I think the vast majority of us would be very happy making it to the Championship in a few years and although it pains me to say it we can't do it without some serious financial help.

15. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

Given that this would presumably be a 'side interest' to Eisner is being a billionaire sufficient?? If he is worth one billion and dedicates 10% of his wealth to Pompey
    ie 100 million by the time he has bought the shares there would be little left for a new stadium.

If on the other hand he is worth 10 billion --- well know you are talking!!!

16. pompeydownunder

pompeydownunder Well-Known Member

From google it appears he is worth nearer to 1.1billion. Sorry - not enough konkers in my opinion!

17. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

American billionaire Michael Eisner has outlined his Pompey vision.

The former Disney chief executive remains locked in negotiations over a Fratton Park takeover.

Now he has broken his public silence on the reasons behind his desire to invest in the League Two promotion contenders.

Speaking exclusively to The News, Eisner revealed his aim to catapult the Blues back into the Premier League.

The 75-year-old has pledged the prospective deal through his Tornante investment company will not involve leveraged debt.

Eisner’s blueprint also consists of remaining at Fratton Park, but carrying out extensive safety and rebuilding work.

There will also be the creation of a heritage board, possessing a veto on any attempts at changing Pompey’s name, colours or building a new home more than 15 miles from the city centre.

In addition, Pompey Supporters’ Trust shareholders stand to each receive their £1,000 back.

However, presently there are no plans for fan representation on a revamped club board.

Now Eisner is waiting for bid approval to enable him to put proposals in person to shareholders before the May 6 visit of Cheltenham.

He said: ‘I really would like everybody behind us and to feel that the stewardship is in the right hands with the goal of moving forward.

‘I don’t want a contentious acquisition. I am sure there are people who don’t want this to happen – but I hope they are few and far between.

‘The way Portsmouth and the Trust brought this team out of receivership and how they have managed it in the last four years and stuck with it is extremely impressive.

‘Yesterday we sent a document to Trevor Birch outlining our plans. Hopefully they think that is the right way to go.

‘My investment is in moving the club forward. That is a large investment and I am prepared to do that.

‘If the club’s goal is staying in League One or League Two, having it run at break even at a very low player acquisition cost, a very slow fixing of Fratton Park, maybe slightly improving the Academy, but knowing that will not take you to the Championship or Premier League – there is nothing wrong with that goal.

‘For that goal they don’t need me. But if the goal is to move up and be a challenger to get into the Championship and a challenger to get into the Premier League, then it looks to me like the club needs outside financing from someone.

‘That is the decision which needs to be voted on.

‘If I am going to do it, I have to do it in a way in which I can be successful. I don’t want to do it with handcuffs on or an impossible structure to manage. I want to do it with an ability to move quickly and fairly.

‘I have ambitions. If you are Sergio Garcia, your ambition would have been to win the Masters.

‘Yes it would be great if Portsmouth didn’t just get to the Premier League but stayed in the Premier League. Although I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up, that could take a decade – it is not going to happen overnight.

‘People strive to get into the Premier League. You see the average losses in the Championship, people making impulsive decisions, spending outrageously and then falling on their sword, taking on a lot of debt just to get there quickly.

‘I am much happier building up the scouting, building up the Academy, slowly moving up without putting the whole business at risk.’

Eisner has attended three Fratton Park matches this season, most recently last month’s 4-0 victory over Grimsby.

He plans for his three sons to become involved in the club’s running, with New York-based Eric having watched four Fratton fixtures during the campaign.

And the American billionaire has spoken of his passion for football.

He added: ‘I grew up with my kids playing football in the American Youth Soccer Organisation, but when they became older they gravitated towards baseball, hockey and basketball. So for a long period I was not engaged in European football.

‘But then my youngest son, Anders, studied in London and I accompanied him to an Arsenal match and couldn’t believe how engaged the fans were. They weren’t just sitting back and talking to a business associate or wife about what they were having for dinner – it was an intense two hours.

‘So I became a fan of the game 20 years ago. I don’t have an understanding for it like I do American football, but I have an appreciation for it.

‘We started looking in England for a club a couple of years ago, looking in the Premier League at those who may or may not be for sale. Then I decided I would rather work my way up with a club rather than slide my way down.

‘It would be more fun and something to do with my family.’

18. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

He's saying the right things for me. No move from Fratton Park but renovation plans, a "heritage board" to ensure the clubs history is respected, and a plan for progression back to the top leagues base on building up the scouting and building through the academy with a sustainable business plan avoiding unmanageable debt. I like that.

The News have a follow up article: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/eisner-no-leverage-debt-in-my-pompey-bid-1-7911475 which goes into a bit more detail about Eisner's position on club debt

"I don’t like debt. Debt can be used efficiently in public companies, which we did at Disney, but being highly leveraged in a risky business like football is really dumb – which is not to say some reasonable debt at some later point is impossible.

‘I would never do anything to put the institution at risk. You don’t make one giant mistake and you don’t hire one way too expensive player, so if it doesn’t work watch the whole thing going down the drain.

‘You don’t do anything which risks the very nature of the institution."

19. Libby

Libby 9-0

Must say it sounds very promising. Particular the parts about debt, the revamp of Fratton and the tempering of expectations saying there's no quick fix.

As always though, actions speak louder than words. If it happens (which looking very likely) then genuinely hope it works out for you.

One thing that made me laugh was describing the experience at the Emirates as 'intense'. Can't wait to see how he describes the first derby he sees <laugh>

20. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

He is very open, and 'up front' with his ambitions for the club, which I find most appealing.

I'm warming to the fellow, and hope the deal goes through, for the sake of the club and it's supporters.

Libby likes this.