1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ambition v Reality

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Oldsparkey, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

After such a dreadful first couple of months, what's going to happen for the rest of this season come May? Tough game tonight against Wednesday for starters, or should we say was the "starters" was really the Wurzel game on Friday?

At the moment and before tonight's game we're only 6 points off a mid table spot and 9 points off the top 6. If we can get all 3 tonight, that will close that right down.

If Warnock continues to get performances like last Friday out of what is a more than reasonable squad right now, some sort of ambition might creep back into the club and its' frustrated supporters.

The tragic thing is that that "ambition" at the club seems to have vanished this past two seasons. The past managerial appointments and resulting performances has made some posters on here seem to think that given the poor start, mid table is going to be acceptable and understandably so - but is it?

It's still relatively early in the season and a lot to play for - at least Tan and the board have at last done something about the lethargy at the club in appointing "kick arse" Warnock to shake it up.

Or maybe the "reality" bit of mid table safety is the right call - I suspect we'll have better idea on it after tonight.

2. Statto

Statto Active Member

Tonight should definitely be a better indication of where we stand than the first game. Presumably the crowd will drop a bit without the cheap tickets and there wont be a derby atmosphere or the new manager excitement to spur the team on quite so much.

I did say more in hope than expectation that we were only 12 points off the play-offs when we appointed the new manager. A win tonight would see that down to 6 after just 2 games!
    The other side of that is if we lose we are stuck 2nd bottom in the relegation zone - as we were when Warnock took over. I guess this shows the importance of getting back to back results (or preferably a run going) in this division.

3. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

Going to be a tough one tonight. Wednesday will be on a high after mugging Huddersfield and I think they will bring 1,000+ with them to enhance the atmosphere.

They are a good side and dangerous going forward. We will need to replicate the energy and positive spirit from Friday and hope we get a few chances which we stick away.

It was disappointing to see us drop back to 23rd last night so this game has similar importance to Friday in that a win pushes us back up the table before a tricky game at Forest on Saturday although they contrived to lose at Blackburn last night. By the way does Whitts still play for Forest?

It would be great to go on a run, see us climb the table and feel that a play off challenge is possible. However, taking into account our disastrous start I think a step by step improvement would see us gradually gain ground and confidence ready for a further influx of Warnock type players in January and maybe then the realms of top 6 will be in our sights.

4. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Well here's a pointer for you.

Before the season started, amongst other small punts, I splashed 20 quid @ 4/1 on Cardiff finishing in the top 6 to give me a ton return. After our disastrous start, the cash out option understandably disappeared off the screen.

It's just come back up - but they're now offering me 67 pence...........<laugh>

5. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

That above prompted me to have a look at what they're offering today for that top 6 finish.

They're quoting 28/1 - bloody hell that's got to be worth another fiver........<laugh>

Job done - another fiver to return me £145 come May.........:smiley-finger007:

6. BluefromBridgend

Drinks on you in May then Sparks - unless you cash out first.

7. Ccfc4ever

Ccfc4ever Well-Known Member

if you're going for the top 6 finish you may as well go for the full whack promotion at 100-1 <laugh>

8. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Don't push it 4ever..........<laugh>

EDIT.....I just looked at that 4ever and can only get 50/1 - finishing top 6 is a much better bet.

Incidentally, auto promotion is at 250/1 and outright Champ winners at 500/1.....who's going to be brave?......<laugh>

9. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

So.........is anyone going to comment on where they think we'll finish, or are you waiting until after tonight's game?..........<whistle>

10. BluefromBridgend

Mid table!!!!

11. Jay-Rede

Jay-Rede Well-Known Member

I will hold my judgement until after tonights game.

12. Hilts24

Hilts24 Well-Known Member

14th-16th

13. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

5th to 10th.

After the start we had, if we equal last season's finish it will be a good effort.

14. BluefromBridgend

Well, I'm happy with the draw. Could have been worse. Wendies played some of the best football I've seen at CCS for some time. Their movement up front was excellent.

15. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

We'd have lost that under Trollop. Wednesday got to be happy with a point - they made no real effort in last 10 minutes when if they had pushed we'd have had no retort.

Warnock will surely be pleased with the draw but got to be honest our 2nd half offensive performance was woeful.

Chamacke was as bad as Fred & Ken. Need a decent striker to play off Lambert & on his own.

16. BluefromBridgend

I thought Lambert looked laboured tonight and won very little in the air. Perhaps he still carries an injury.

In fairness Chamakh is better than the chuckle brothers. He won some headers and his hold up play was okay. Will never win a sprint though. However that's his first game time for a few months so should be cut a little slack.

Overall we carry little goal threat in open play and that is a problem. We will never bury teams so they will always think they have a chance with us. At the start of the second half I thought we had adopted a 9 1 formation. It was an invite to the Wendies to attack us.

17. Stevoldinho

Stevoldinho Well-Known Member

For the 20 minutes or so after half time I thought Wednesday were superb. I'm the first to point out what we could/should have done but in the face of that pace of passing and movement I thought we did ok to only concede 1.
    The only way we could have handled it better was keep the ball as when they had it they were brilliant. They did run themselves out though with that effort and intensity.

I thought first half we were good and could have nicked a 2nd. Then 2nd half we did ok. Under Trollope we'd have witnessed a record home defeat tonight. Wednesday will be there or thereabouts in May, we won't but we'll be comfortably safe and ready to have a proper go next season.

2nd game this season I've enjoyed, don't care if we're not world beaters. Just happy to see we've got a bit about us again.

18. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

I'll go with that. Superb football from Wednesday that we did well to cope with. On that performance they must be a serious contenders for promotion this season.

We can only dream of emulating that sort of dislplay, but I'll take those hard earned 4 points from those first two games under Warnock anytime.

19. Jay-Rede

Jay-Rede Well-Known Member

My honest opinion based on last nights performance.

With the current team I think we will be safe from relegation, 15th - 18th

If we have money to spend in January and Warnock gets to sign players he wants, we will finish much higher.

Last night was a very good point and a very hard earned point. Second half Wednesday were all over us and could have easily scored a 2nd when Forestieri came on, lucky for us they were equally as sharp as us infront of goal so a point was a fair result.

Noone was terrible in the 2nd half last night, a few flare moments in the first half but nothing extraordinary.

A striker is needed to partner Lambert. I'm still reserving judgement on Chamakh, considering the bloke hasn't played a game since February.

4 points from 2 games from 2 teams hovering in and around the playoffs is a complete relief in any case. A point from Forest Saturday will be an excellent result.

Blue Sheep and BluefromBridgend like this.
  20. Ccfc4ever

Ccfc4ever Well-Known Member

atm 4th, people really think the gap is bigger than it really is imo, with a couple of quality january additions that i'm sure Colin will bring in then i can see us challenging 3rd come the end