1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Alternatives to Andy Carroll.

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by KingPepeReina., Mar 5, 2011.

1. KingPepeReina.

KingPepeReina. Active Member

I'm going back to when we signed Andy Carroll in January and I've this question.Who else could we have signed that is his age and build.All the players of his type ie Drogba,Adebayor and Berbatov and Dzeko(who has turned out to be not as good as he was made out to be) are all older.
    So who else was there.I cannot think of any player that fits his type at his age.Kenny wanted a striker that would compliment Suarez and the type of forward that compliments a player of Suarezs' ability is the Andy Carroll type-a physical presence.
    Can anyone else name someone.?I cannot think of a player.I'm questioning this,because there is so many questioning his signing.

2. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

I think it was a spot on signing, as we have missed a large front man since the days of Crouch. I do think 35m is possibly 20m too much, but it's all done now and we were desperate for another striker at the time.

Hopefully in the summer we'll add some depth to our squad and add quality to positions that need it, and we'll be all set for next season.

3. KingPepeReina.

Was it really all that much.?Look we held out and got an unexpected windfall from the Torres sale.The Ryan Babel sale helped put cash in the bank to help towards the Suarez signing.We didn't need to sell Torres to balance any books as NESV sanctioned the Suarez signing before Torres threw his toys out of the cot.In fact John Henry himself was on the phone to Randy Lerner about signing Ashley Young.(Expect another bid).We have £15 million sitting in the bank towards our summer spending,thats before the board add money to it.And they will because there is some spare cash due to the fact we no longer have interest repayments.This is going to be a very busy summer.Expect some massive muscles to be flexed.

4. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

I expect we'll have some massive spending - and no less because the financial fair play rules will be before we know it.

NESV have the money and they will spend, we saw that with Suarez as they bought him before Torres was even considering being sold.

I just hope we manage to get the quality that we need in the summer, no doubt Kenny will look to sign for positions - but can we attract the quality we need? I suppose that's where Comolli comes in.

LB, Playmaker, RW and LW.

Enrique, Honda, Young and Turan.

^ Nearly everything sorted out there.

Perhaps M'vila will also be on the books.

5. Muppetfinder General

Muppetfinder General Well-Known Member

Caroll was overpriced like Torres was overpriced. Say Torres was worth £35m and Caroll £20m. Same result.

Everything's relative and it's Chelsea who were out of pocket. We got two top strikers with plenty of career left at the knockdown price of £8m net. Bonus score.

It also means FSG didn't have to shell out now so can save resources for the summer.

Meanwhile, Redknapp's talking about signing Drogba now. Well, he had so little success getting a striker in the window, which is quite funny seeing as he was so critical of Comolli.

Latest rumour for us is Fernando Gago from Real. Just a rumour. Add him to the list.

6. KingPepeReina.

Thats exactly what I was thinking.Kenny doesn't sign players unless they fill a specific position.They have to be different to what he already has.He won't sign a Raul Mereiles type midfielder because he already has....Raul Mereiles.He won't sign a Joe Cole type player because he has Jow Cole.I think its the reason why he identified Andy Carroll specifically,because we didn't have that type of striker.As I said in my initial post,its that type that compliments Suarez.He'll sign as you said a left back,a midfield general,wingers one tricky and one speed merchant.There will be departures.It wouldn't surprise me if he also identifies a commanding centre back and lets one of our current centre backs go.Possibly include a play-making midfielder in that too,as thats also something we don't have since Alonso left.As for the speedy winger,one option is Sylvain Marveaux who is reported to have already agreed a pre contract agreement that comes into effect from July 1st.

7. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

Redknapp has spent so much since he came in it's unbelievable! No wonder they're breaking into the top 4 when he's got a net spend of about 38m over the past few seasons whilst we've made a loss. Not to mention he got ~30m for Berbatov too.

Spurs are not yet big enough to attract players of that calibre from Madrid and I think as we start to splash the cash and get better then Spurs will be the ones to drop out of the top 5.

I do think Torres should have gone for more if he was based on the Ronaldo transfer, he's a better player than Ronaldo imo, but prices lately have been all over the place - with 23m for Suarez who has been the highest scorer in European football (in all competitions) last season and 35m for a player who scored 15 goals in the championship last season - we could grab Messi for 15m and then pay 100m for Salcido <laugh>

8. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Young and Turan play on the wings for us, Young has pace and skill and Turan reminds me of Riera but better.

I'm not so sure about a Midfield general personally - We have currently: Gerrard, Lucas, Meireles and Shelvey who all play the CM position well; It's going to be Gerrard and Meireles playing everytime unless one of them get's injured - so what about Lucas? He's left to play the DM position, if we get M'Vila (or another Playmaker) then we'd have to sell Lucas imo.

9. Muppetfinder General

Muppetfinder General Well-Known Member

Not really. Poulsen out, DMF in.

10. KingPepeReina.

Was Andy Carroll all that pricey.Lets put it into context.
    Aston Villa payed £24 million for Darren Bent.Who has more room for improvement,Andy Carroll or Darren Bent.Darren Bent is 28 if he is anything.He'll peak when he's 29.All strikers peak when they are 29,by ''Peaking'' they don't get any better.Andy Carroll has 7 years before he hits his peak.What was the name of the last big money non prolific but a real handful Geordie that Kenny Dalglish signed.Alan What?Same sort of player,big awkward and a real handful.Or look at it another way,Man United payed £32 million for 28 year old Dimitar Berbatov.Now is Andy Carroll pricey at 22 years old.?

11. Ze

Ze Well-Known Member

Lucas will end up on the bench in that case, and I think he needs to be playing every week so he can continue to develop. We have to look at the squad and really look at who will be in the starting 11 and who will be squad members, because some of them won't stick around if they're on the bench half the season.