1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Alexis Sanchez: Arsene Wenger 'stands up' for decision not to start forward

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by lazarus20000, Mar 5, 2017.

1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Arsene Wenger 'stands up' for decision not to start forward
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39170037

The Gunners manager brought on his top scorer at half-time, with his side 2-0 down, and he provided the pass for Danny Welbeck's goal.

"Everyone will come to the same conclusion," said Wenger.

"But I am strong enough and lucid enough to analyse the impact."

However, Wenger said he had decided to start Welbeck and Oliver Giroud instead to provide a more direct attacking threat.

"I wanted to play two players who were strong in the air and then bring Sanchez on in the second half," Wenger added.

Struggling to remember a more tepid performance'
    Former Arsenal defender Martin Keown, speaking on Match of the Day, said: "Dropping Sanchez was stunning.

"I really can't understand the thinking behind that. He's their best player. They didn't actually play direct in the match.

"I'm struggling to remember a more tepid performance in the last 20 years under Wenger. There was a lack of spirit and fire in their bellies."

What can you say about that, instead of putting his hands up and admitting he got it wrong, he tries to justify the bizarre decision. Also the players need to look at themselves in the mirror and start performing in the first half. Shocking.

2. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Struggling to remember a more tepid in the last 20 years? Yesterday was pretty much a standard typical arsenal performance against a team with vaguely good players in it.

We only really ever play well when the opposition are full of inferior players. If the opposition players' natural ability match ours then we're generally guff.

This season we've been as tepid as yesterday for more than 50% of our games I'd say.

3. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

It was a ****e performance, only Sanchez and Welbeck really contributed and the fact that Sanchez was left out in the first half was ridiculous.

4. Sign Da Ting

Sign Da Ting Well-Known Member

"Wenger has lost the plot" - insert statement anywhere between 2008-present time.

5. lazarus20000

I don't think he's lost the plot, it's just he's too arrogant to accept that he's made any mistakes. This is probably the worst thing to have when you're playing in an ever evolving sport.

6. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

He hasn't lost the plot or got too arrogant. He's just not very good and hasn't been for over a decade.

7. lazarus20000

"Jurgen Klopp said after the game that the first five minutes of Sanchez felt like 50 minutes, that's the impact he had." Daily Mail's Dominic King.

8. Sign Da Ting

Sign Da Ting Well-Known Member

Alexis Sánchez dropped at Liverpool after storming out of Arsenal training
    • Forward had angry words with players in dressing room during training
    • Sánchez was controversially dropped for Liverpool defeat

Alexis Sánchez stormed out of an Arsenal training session last week and was involved in a dressing-room slanging match with some of his team-mates – which was, seemingly, part of the reason why Arsène Wenger dropped him from the starting XI at Liverpool on Saturday.

The Chile forward, who is Arsenal’s undoubted star, has cut an increasingly agitated figure over recent weeks, as the club’s hopes of success in the Premier League and Champions League have fizzled out. His emotions bubbled over during the preparations for the league visit to Anfield.

Sánchez stunned his team-mates by walking out of the session and, when they returned to the changing rooms to find him, there were angry words between some of them and him. The flashpoint is believed to have kicked off after an incident with another player.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...nal-training-row-team-mates-dropped-liverpool

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  9. lazarus20000

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...nal-training-row-team-mates-dropped-liverpool

The link wasn't working so I've added it again. To be honest he has looked frustrated on a number of occasions on the field. Some of the players around him simply aren't good enough or put the required shift in on a regular basis. Unfortunately that's the kind of culture that has set in at Arsenal, which is totally different to the one from Wenger's early tenure.

He is a man surrounded by too many boys...

Sign Da Ting and Quilllogic like this.
  10. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

He's an outstanding footballer surrounded by many mediocre football players and a steaming dog turd of a manager.

Ronaldo gets uppity with inferior teammates and that's when his teammates are actually also top drawer... Just not as good as him because no-one is.

Sanchez is surrounded by, especially in the offensive half of the pitch, dross. No-one could ever argue he doesn't always try 110% for us. A move to Bayern beckons.

Quilllogic likes this.

11. lazarus20000

I guess when you have the likes of Oxo and Iwobi next to you well...

12. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Please, anywhere but one of the current PL top 6 (apart from Spurs of course ;) ) .

13. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Wow the Sanchez fall out is now on BBC. David ornstein reporting it. I knew there was a reason he was dropped. Even wenger couldn't just drop him because of tactics.

Manager protecting player in post match interviews it seems...

14. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39175453

Might as well start buying envelopes and stamps for the goodbye letters.

As a football fan, I'll be sad to see the back of him - a magnificent player who is a joy to watch.

As a Spurs fan, however...good ****ing riddance son.

SpursDisciple likes this.
  15. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

I love Alexis as a player, but in recent times he has irritated me with his behaviour on the pitch, yes he is a winner, but just openly slating your team mates even when we are winning comfortably is bound to piss off the other players, I understand how much Alexis wants to win, but he is not ****ing perfect either, there are times when he misplaces simple passes and hangs on to the ball for too long, players just openly arguing with each other on the pitch is not going to help, simple as that.

Now this brings me to the manager, Wenger has been made to look incredibly weak, he drops Sanchez for whatever reason but if Wenger is a man of his principle and his belief that the team is stronger than any individual than ****ing punish Sanchez properly, Wenger looked like a muppet on Saturday, he basically had to turn to Alexis to rescue his ass despite his attempts to 'punish' Sanchez. Any strong manager would not stand for the behaviour of Sanchez in recent weeks, he would not be in squad and would be training with the kids. The likes of Pep,Klopp,Conte and Pochettino all believe that a team is more important than any one individual, Ok Messi might be the one expection, but he is Messi.

16. lazarus20000

'I'd probably want to leave'
    please log in to view this image

Ian Wright

Former Arsenal striker on 5 live's 6-0-6

If I was him, I’d probably want to leave as well because what’s happening with Arsenal right now is not what he came to Arsenal for. Especially not being in the top four.

We’re hearing he’s storming out of training and he’s not playing in games like the Liverpool game – a rival. Everything points towards he’s unsettled, he’s unhappy – seems to me he wants to go.

Anyone agree with Ian Wright?

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  17. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Nothing really to agree or disagree with. Wright just saying what he'd do in that situation. I certainly wouldn't blame anyone doing similar in that situation. Wenger simply has to go and it won't happen unless things turn very ugly. So we need things to get very, very ugly.

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  18. Quilllogic

Quilllogic Active Member

Totally agree with Wrighty.
    Sanchez gives 100% and is probably very frustrated with a number of the team who don't appear to be able to do that.
    A lot of this is down to Wenger who consistently picks players that appear to be 'passengers' in games, and that includes Ozil.
    Sanchez wants to be a winner but I think there are others in the team don't want it as badly as him.

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  19. lazarus20000

This is the problem you get when you bring elite players in, they also have expectations. But also agree, Wenger does give too many chances to some of our players. His lack of ruthlessness has come to bite him on the backside.

20. lazarus20000

Alexis Sanchez row reports 'completely false' - Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says reports of a training ground row between Alexis Sanchez and his team-mates are "completely false".

Sanchez is believed to have had an angry exchange with fellow players after leaving training mid-session prior to Saturday's loss at Liverpool.

He was confronted by team-mates on their return to the changing room as tempers flared.

"I'm not aware, nothing happened," said Wenger.

Sanchez was left out of the starting line-up at Anfield but came on and set up a goal for his side in the second half as Arsenal lost 3-1.

"I explained after the game I decided to go for a more direct option - that was the unique reason for my decision," said Wenger.

"He is a committed player and sometimes with excessive behaviours but you have had that many times in the history of every squad."

So from Wenger, nothing happened, it was made up...