1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Alex Smithies

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by QPR999, Jan 19, 2017.

1. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Seaman was an established England U21 keeper when he signed for us from Bermingham. He also made his Full England debut playing for us. When he was here, we were a top half PL club. When he left, he won all sorts of honours with Arsenal and played in World Cups etc with England. Smithies hasn't been capped at any level and hasn't even played one PL game. The facts of his career do not make him even remotely close to Seaman.

2. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

There was never a supposed move to Liverpool just the usual media bull, he was plaging well at a time when Liverpool keepers were taking flak.

3. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

He has been excellent for us and has had to be with a porous defence in front of him.

4. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Errr......he signed for us in '86 and the Premier League didn't start until '92ish when he was already at Arsenal........When he signed for us we were seen as a step up from Brum as we were an established 1st Division club, he had some U21 caps and went on to make his Full International debut whilst with us going on to get 3 Full International caps between 1988 and 1990 when he moved to Arsenal. He went on to get a further 72......

The point you seem to be missing is that both joined us in their early 20's having played close to 200 games with other sides, both clearly felt we were a step up from their other clubs, both improved with us and hopefully like Seaman, Smithies will go on to have a fabulous career and not necessarily with us. The use of International Caps as a yardstick to measure greatness is spurious as that would make Robert Green a greater keeper than Phil Parkes, indeed that was the measure use by some hack last season in that article in the press saying that Green was undoubtedly the best keeper at QPR when in reality he was 3rd best......

I get it Finglas that you don't really rate him, that's up to you, but IMO and it is only an opinion I see similarities between Smithies and Seaman at this respective stage in their careers..........Who knows this may be level and in 10 years time we'll be saying he showed promise but failed to progress, he could be another Chris Woods......

durbar2003 and Hoops Eternal like this.
  5. terryb

terryb Well-Known Member

Now you've done it Tramore!

Will people please stop reminding me of the following:-

Victor Bloody Mobley
    Thomas Docherty
    Chrtistopher Woods
    Harold Redknapp
    Jose Bosingwa
    BAE ( refuse to look up how to spell his name)

Thanking you in advance.

6. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

:emoticon-0136-giggl

7. finglasqpr

Mute point about PL v 1st Division. The pre sky league let's call it.

When Smithies has played ONE premier league/first division game, I might start comparing him to David Seaman. Until then, he is just a run of the mill second tier keeper - just my opinion of course.

8. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

Ok whatever.....

9. goldcoast hoop

goldcoast hoop Well-Known Member

Maybe living in Windsor has something to do with it?

10. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

The use of the word 'mute' in this context is perhaps something of a moot point itself. :)

I kinda agree with Fingy in that Smithies has to show this promise consistently over the (hopefully) many years to come in his career. I agree with Trammers that a comparison with Seaman (at a similar stage in his career) is also reasonable.

I would also like to retrospectively agree with my mother in that it did adversely affect my eyesight.

rangercol, KentGaz and Stroller like this.

11. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

Bump....

We are not worthy:emoticon-0136-giggl

12. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I'm too young to have seen Seaman play for us but I thought he was overrated for Arsenal/England.

13. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

TBF Wats that's a tad harsh.....he became a very good keeper for both arsenal and England......just behind Banks, Shilton & Clemence in the pecking order.....

14. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

In my view Seaman was a better keeper for QPR than Arsenal (in all but 1 season) as our defenders made him work as they were not as good as Adams and co.
    With a better defence, his workload went down. not slagging off my own team merely stating that good goalkeeper with an average defence will have to work harder than one with a good defence in front of him

15. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

Fair point ninj......
    From my point of view the best keepers i've seen in all my years supporting the R's are Phil, Seaman, Steskil (spelling), hucker.......this lad Smithies is up there with those and could very well end up above Seaman in that reckoning although no one will ever top Phil......

Ninj and Uber_Hoop like this.
  16. finglasqpr

I'm not doubting he is a decent keeper Tramore.

Take opinions out of it and lets look at the facts of both of their careers to see if there is any similarity at this stage of their career's.

By the time Seaman was Smithies current age 26 almost 27,

he had - 5 full top tier seasons under his belt. 1 with Birmingham and 4 with QPR.
    - Got a transfer to a top 4 club - Arsenal
    - Had been a full international with England for 3 years.

Smithies hasn't got one single top tier appearance under his belt, never mind 5 full seasons.

There is not any available evidence that any top tier club are interested in recruiting his services, never mind a top 4 club.

Playing in the Championship, there is no evidence whatsoever that he is close to a full international cap with England.

They are the facts of what we are comparing. It is like comparing apples and oranges. Where exactly is this mysterious similarity in their careers??????

As I have said all along, as and when he makes a single top flight appearance and is included in an international squad, I might be prepared to reconsider my opinion. Until then, there are NO FACTS whatsoever to back up your opinion that he is anywhere near as good as Seaman was at this stage of their respective careers.

17. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

Hucker is probably my favourite QPR keeper of all time. Memories...

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  18. Ranger74

Ranger74 Well-Known Member

He was brilliant for us, fond memories of some great saves which is unusual. A 1 handed one against Liverpool 3-2 from point blank range especially brilliant!

19. finglasqpr

That is my recollection of him too Ranger74. I used to go every week during the 4 years he was with us. I even met him in my local M&S in Kilburn High Road one day. He was an absolutely fantastic keeper and a nice guy to boot. It was obvious from the day he arrived that he would go on to better things, which he duly did.

20. Tramore Ranger

Forum Moderator

They both showed huge promise.....seaman went on to fulfill his hopefully smithies will do the same....you have your opinion I have mine.......mind looking at other forums it looks like other posters have similar thoughts to mine....