1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Alcohol - Cutting down, moderation, how much is ok?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Darth Tash, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Blacker-than-Knight

See that doesn't actually sound excessive to me, in my late 30's I would go out with a mate and we would be in a pub and have a competition to drink every bottled alcoholic drink in the bar fridges excluding bottles of wine, this was usually after about 3 hours of being out already and happened at least once a week, there were some nights after work where you would knock back 8/9 pints and then hit the vodka around 2am, mind you the guy we were working for then would sit around drinking litre bottles of red wine out of pint glasses.

2. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

Right, I'm off to a BBQ in an hour. Burgers washed down with spiced rum and diet coke. Lovely.

3. GeordieHalfbreed

GeordieHalfbreed Well-Known Member

Nice to see you around, Tash.

Booze wise, I think it's possible to get too het up over it and that too much angst over your health can be as much as a problem as drinking slightly (note 'slightly') more than one should. Mental health is important too.

Obviously, massively overdoing the drink is bad, but it sounds like you're a long way off that yet.

4. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

I'm going to have a drink on Friday but I only do when out with a lady tbh

5. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

I'd done quite a bit of boozing at home before going out, so overall was probably about half a bottle of rum and 4 pints, and it's normally something similar every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, plus a few beers on about 3 week nights. Always drank heavily, but it's got far more excessive in the last 5 years, missus is always telling me I need to cut it down, losing the mid week drinking is first step.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  6. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

Captain has a date <diva>

Captainchaos. likes this.
  7. GeordieHalfbreed

GeordieHalfbreed Well-Known Member

Is it that Riley lookalike from his gym? Whatever happened to her?

Obi Wan likes this.
  8. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

I'm going to stop the drink, at least for a sustained period. And stop eating crap. And start exercising regularly. I'm 40 and I've trashed my body for too long, plus I've got a bad heart to start with. I'd probably be lucky to make 50 the way I am going in all honesty.

Ellis Short Is likes this.
  9. Heed

Heed well known cheat

It's now been Four Years since I've had a proper drink.
    I virtually risk assess every time I have one.
    Drink slow and to my limits - normally 4 pints max unless I'm on holiday.
    Shorts and the likes are a non-starter - I miss ****ing Rum.
    I'm only supposed to have 2 units per day of alcohol.
    That's what a daily dose of Warfarin does to you.

10. Heed

Heed well known cheat

You need to look after your heart mate.<ok>

11. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I'm actually starting a 4 week cycle off the drink today. I know I have a couple of heavy sessions coming in May. I've set myself a few targets training wise, and to be honest alcohol just doesn't mix with achieving anywhere near that. I find that is the easy way to knock it on the head - have some sort of target. Failing that have a dicky heart or liver and the doc will make that decision for you. My old man refused to give up his smoking, drinking and love of indian takeaway. We all knew when he went it would be a hearty.

When he did, that made me focus my mind. I'm thinking about doing something charity wise for the heart foundation. Maybe the GNR next year!

Heed - Was it not you who had the heart issues which were quite serious?

12. Dorty Dogbreath

Have a look on the mackems board and they often boast about their cannabis use....followed later by lamenting about their mental health issues....doh....they often go hand in hand. Aye, waking and baking is for proper mugs.

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.
  13. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Looks like Fredor is settling in for the long haul over there.

14. Dorty Dogbreath

Good luck to them <laugh>

15. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Yeah I think you often find that people who smoke copious amounts of weed are in denial amount mental health issues. I smoked a lot of weed back in the day. I mean like a truckload. I swore blind back then it was not a problem etc etc. I never had any serious mental health problems as such, but I definitely had some issues as a result. When I kicked it into touch, the upturn in my general health within in 2 years was ridiculous. I never preach about it because I think its one of those where you have to sort it for yourself. You get all defensive and pretend its not a problem, and it can be impossible to be told.

I don't have a problem with it personally. I still partake on the odd occasion. I just know some personalities are not made for the day in day out routine. I have quite an addictive personality. So I found I spent way too much time smoking it. I'm glad I kicked it all before I had the little one. The thought of being a stoner parent is pretty ugly. Again I think its a thing where people kid themselves. I know lads who do, and they will say things like "I never do it around them" or "I only do it late at night to chill once they've gone to bed". Don't get me wrong if you are at a party with no kids in tow, and have a few tokes, no big deal. Any daily routine involving weed though isn't great. As I say everyone is different in how they react to it, but the number who like to put themselves in the "I have it all under control, it helps my mental health" bracket is pretty comical.

Marra SAFC 77 likes this.
  16. Toon_Man_Sam1

Toon_Man_Sam1 Well-Known Member

Never found the appeal with weed personally, cocaine, now that's a whole other ball game!

Drink wise, Ive been working out a lot over the last couple of months and laid pretty off the booze apart from the odd here and there. But I was in one Friday night, little one in bed, watching tv with the Mrs and I was bored so I went through a half bottle of brandy, next day was awful, went to the gym by 8, couldn't lift sh1t, dizzy, sweaty nearly puked.

If I'm not on a health kick, I could drink every night for weeks and weeks, but I go through cycles and quit for a little while but I always get dragged back.

Marra SAFC 77 likes this.
  17. Heed

Heed well known cheat

It depends on what you would class as serious. <laugh>

Firstly, I've never had a heart attack and my arteries are in good nick considering I'm now mid 50s.
    Hopefully, my lifestyle will ensure I keep it that way.

Anyway, keeping it short.

I was 33 when I had the first aortic valve replacement.

Now ticking along with my fourth aortic replacement, albeit No.2 only lasted a couple of hours before they whipped it back out again.

On the second replacement Mitral valve, plus one repair.

Also have 3rd Degree Heart Block, resulting in a pacemaker - currently on No.2, which should last another 3 years.

Main problem now being that my heart doesn't inflate/deflate like a normal heart under exertion, plus a couple of blood flow issues. No guarantee that I won't need further surgery down the line.

It is what it is, and looking on the positive side, I've never let it beat me, still work, and have as normal a life as I can.

Always said, I would take what I've had any day of the week, rather than something like cancer.
    Being a patient is easy, it was a lot harder for my family.

Yet, ACS/Nev//Trev still insist I walk up that bloody hill to the Earl. <laugh>

18. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

For the promotion party... I'd say 20 cans is about right.

19. Beardsley's Rancid Sack

Beardsley's Rancid Sack Well-Known Member

Cut it out completly years ago. It made me a ****. I'm better off for it.

20. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

So, have you noticed any changes since you gave up the drink?

<whistle>