1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Aden Flint - a barometer on what we are

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by smhbcfc, Jun 5, 2017.

1. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

It's going to be very interesting what happens to Big Aden in the Summer

Personally I would not want us to stand in his way if a Premier League club came in for him - as long as the price was right (£5m??)

However if we sell him to a Championship club like Derby and replace him with Fleetwood's centre-half it tells you where we really are in the pecking order. I see no point in selling him to a rival club in our division.

Thoughts please gentlemen?

2. tiger-emyrs-wolf

tiger-emyrs-wolf Well-Known Member

Sell to prem only unless like kodj an offer too good to turn down.

3. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

As you say smhbhc Flint's future will tell us a lot of things about where we as a club are heading. I have this feeling that he will leave, and not necessarily to the Premiership, because money talks volumes for a club like ours and I am more interested in how that money will be spent. Good luck Aden wherever you go but please stay.

4. TampaBayBCFC

TampaBayBCFC Active Member

I'm not sure that he is Premiership quality - the standard of player he would face week in and out would be significantly better and less of the balls would be played in the air. Flint is not the quickest and this would be horribly exploited.

I hope he stays as he truly seems to understand what wearing the BCFC shirt means but as Tiger points out, if we got an offer from a Championship club that was too good to refuse, then so be it. I just hope that he doesn't become a problem player that JK evidently became after having his head turned by a bigger offer.

5. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Still can't believe we might be getting another ex gashead

6. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Flint definitely not prem standard,however we are a selling club,so a top end championship club will pay the money.
    Have said elsewhere SL has no ambition on building a side for a tilt at promotion.
    His puppet will have had three windows shortly,and we are no further forward than when the puppet took control.
    Sad state of affairs at the gate.

7. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Agree. I think he'd be out of his depth in the Premiership. But if the money is right we'll sell him to anyone who comes in flashing the cash and that's all we need to know about who we are.

gdknac likes this.
  8. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Flint stepped up from league 1 to the Championship level with no problem and I see no reason why he is not capable of holding his own at Premier level, he did alright against Newcasle, Brighton and Huddersfield plus the cluster of managers from the Premier seem to think he could do a job for them, I say good luck to the bloke and I hope he has a great future, he deserves it.

banksyisourhero likes this.
  9. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

I may agree in more diplomatic terms with some of your points.

In regards to Mr Lansdown SL has no ambition on building a side for a tilt at promotion; Could you explain using income, money spent, the money BCFC loses and FFP what you are implying? Clubs have spent less money than BCFC to gain promotion, reach the top six etc. Enough money is being spent to build a side.

10. Red Robin

As soon as a wiff of profit we sell,the three windows are here,yet the side is far weaker than LJ had at his first window.
    This window has got to be amazing, if we go by his speech about the three windows.

Yes SL has waisted many hundreds of thousands in his quest for success.The amount spent should have brought more success.

For me under the current owner I don't see on the field success.

11. BCFCRob

BCFCRob Well-Known Member

Who should we not have sold RR? Aside from Luke Ayling, who none of us would have expected to kick on so much.

12. Red Robin

I rated Ayling big time was a big fan of him.
    He wanted first team football,and the puppet would not guarantee it.
    Ayling over little and that idiot from Sunderland any day.

13. Cliftonville

As soon as a wiff of profit ... Bristol City has not made a profit for over a decade, well over.

Yes SL has wasted many hundreds of thousands in his quest for success ... Mr Lansdown has invested tens of millions into infra structure, equity and made loans of tens of millions to keep Bristol City FC functioning as a business. I would put the sums via the accounts to be in the region of a hundred million pounds not hundreds of thousands.

The above is hardly lacking ambition.

14. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone can question the ambition,

But the execution and day to day shenanigans has many questioning just whether there is really any sort of plan in place, or is it a case of, as I've suspected for a long time personally, that every day is groundhog day with ever moving goalposts if you'll excuse the pun ?

15. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Talking about ambition and knowing what is required to satisfy that thirst are 2 totally different things and like angelic I just can't get excited about what's going on inside the corridors of Ashton Gate. Wonderful new stadium full of great supporters and yet somehow something's missing in the armoury and we will only see whether our owner is true to his word on the ambition thing once the season is underway.

I have no grudge with Lee other than I don't think he's up to the task in hand but surely if things haven't changed by about November he must be sent on his way despite all the hype. Good luck to my team in the summer.

16. NickH

NickH Well-Known Member

Always difficult to predict who can make it at a higher level - I remember when Rickie Lambert was at Rovers and we were linked with a £1m move, the majority of fans predicted he didn't have what it took to make it in the Championship. Making a name for himself in the Premiership and a handful of fairytale England caps certainly proved them wrong.

I agree that he has faults, which would make me doubt if he would be consistently good enough, but in the right set up he could flourish. I would not be surprised in the slightest if he ended up at West Brom and Pulis successfully integrates him into a solid defence - he's good for a goal every now and then too.

...Agreed that if he ends up at a different Championship club, then that'd be disappointing, unless it's for a truly silly fee and it's clear that he himself wants to go. Though £5m or so would be a decent fee, it probably isn't enough to buy a 'proven' replacement, so what you'd be left with would be a likely downgrade, with a couple of million, which only has a comparatively small impact on the balance sheet. If someone offers maybe £7m+ then that'd be very hard to say no to...

Red Robin likes this.
  17. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

If memory serves me correctly you wanted us to get Mathews?

I don't think anyone was happy with Ayling going. But without hindsight, and a massive majority of the human race don't have that.So unless you are in that small minority that can predict the future, going on your past rumours postings I would think not.
    Which means you was probably like all of us all been thinking Ayling would have only been a bit part player which I doubt he would of wanted to be.

18. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

Ayling Flint and Golbourne were my first choice picks pre August 2016

19. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Matthews loan spell at the end of 2015/16 made him an obvious choice at right back.

Effectively we had 3 right backs and sold the second choice one.

It made sense at the time.

Supcon72 likes this.
  20. Cliftonville

One poster did.

Which I separated.

Mr Lansdown clearly is ambitious.