1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Abu Dhabi Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Delete Me, Oct 29, 2012.

?

Will Abu Dhabi cause a surprise this?

1. Sebastian Vettel

2. Fernando Alonso

3. Kimi Raikkonen

4. Mark Webber

5. Lewis Hamilton

6. Jenson Button

7. Nico Rosberg

8. Romain Grosjean

9. Other... (Please Mention)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Delete Me

Delete Me Well-Known Member

Sadly not, Obama got that name first!

2. Delete Me

Also I loved how the BBC pretty much blamed Hulk for making contact with Di Resta and saying he was greedy, when it was Paul who pushed Hulk into Senna and ended his race!

Watch the start again, Hulk tries to cover Di Resta, gives up and then tries to get the better line beside Senna and Paul just goes charging into Hulks side and causes the whole crash with Senna...

Luckily for him he was driving a midfield car and not a front runner as he would have the piss taken out of him if he was Seb or Lewis for that moronic move!

3. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that Silver is a Spin Doctor in real life, he's wasted here, life in Politics!
    Heck at times he's spun it so much even I believe him/would vote for him!

4. Delete Me

Thank you!

I can count on you on election day then?

5. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Kyle is a pale imitation compared to you My Lord!

6. RoadRunner

RoadRunner Well-Known Member

Only one was prophesised to stand in the way of the Dark Lord Silver... I must be the one to defeat him, as all was foretold...
    He is the Voldemort to my Harry Potter
    The Bowser to my Super Mario
    The Vettel to my Di Resta

Let the game begin then Silver. Let the game begin.

7. Delete Me

The Real Di Resta: "Di Resta beat Vettel in F3"

Silver:............

GAME OVER *Insert fighting game music*

8. JonnyBaws

JonnyBaws Well-Known Member

So a bit like Highlander, there can be only one?
    Let me get the popcorn before you start!

9. RoadRunner

*The game instantly turns into Peter Griffin versus the Fighting Chicken*
    How the **** either of us are still alive after that I'll never know.

10. Delete Me

[video=youtube;qaLvcM-u4ns]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaLvcM-u4ns[/video]

Mr Di Resta......Suprised to see me?

Nobody has gone against a Vettel fan and won! *In retrospect of what is going on here*

11. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;xURCYCa9inc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xURCYCa9inc[/video]

12. RoadRunner

Nice choice of scene.
    One man went up against Vettel himself, and won. But that man was cursed forever. If I can make it against Vettel's chief-in-command, and come out ok on the other side, I shall not leave the fate of this world to chance, and there may be hope for us all left. After all that's all we've got.

13. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

:)
    I say this respectfully. It is a response perhaps long overdue, pertaining to debate in general. It is not a personal rebuttal to you,
    Tomcat.
    - - -o0o- - -

I am not interested in what other people said before about something else. I think it best when discussing an incident or event to stick to that particular incident or event. Allowing oneself to be diverted into discussing some previous event is to become diverted from the particulars. This is where double-standards are born. It is also the birth-place of friction, conveniently skewed politics, tribalism, persecution and religious conflict.

I repeat: when discussing an incident or event, I am not interested in what other people may have said before about something else. What matters to me is the particular thing being discussed. When possible, other events should be left where they belong: in the past. Diversion is a mechanism for subversion. Avoid this path and do not be subverted by histories; whether real, imagined or spurious – for to do so provides the breeding ground for the 'double-standard' one might perceive in the first place; thus perpetuating the cycle against those who may view previous events differently.

Do not be confined to the slavery of histories. Be free from the wheels of others – and steer yourself.

14. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Indian race edit is up, very good to say the race itself was pretty boring.

15. Delete Me

Good post I found on f1fanatic comparing Seb's back of the grid race with Lewis' in Spain. Interesting read to be honest.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/groups/f...pain-vs-vettel-in-abu-dhabi-which-was-better/

Answering this question, is first getting some misconceptions straightened out.

* McLaren is a car whose best-lap set-up is one that allows for overtaking, not one that has a 12kph speed-deficit. I’m sorry, but claiming Vettel that had an advantage changing his set-up means you don’t understand; he had to sacrificy lap-time to be able to have any chance of driving a race. He was not faster because of it, it only enabled him to make overtakes.

* Hamilton was 5th-fastest in the Barcelona speed-trap, Vettel 4th-fastest. Insignficant difference.

* The DRS zone at Barcelona is actually about the same length (830m) as the first (1250m – 390m = 860m) DRS zone on Abu Dhabi and longer than the second (740m).

* A lot has been said about ‘Vettel only overtook backmarkers’, but if you look at the 13 on-track overtakes (7 less than Vettel’s 20 on-track overtakes) Hamilton did in Spain, he actually overtook less non-backmarkers: Narain Karthikeyan, Pedro de la Rosa, Charles Pic, Timo Glock, Vitaly Petrov, Bruno Senna, Heikki Kovalainen, Daniel Ricciardo, Nico Hülkenberg, Nico Hülkenberg, Paul di Resta, Daniel Ricciardo, Jean-Éric Vergne.

* Things have been said about Vettel’s luck with other people ‘crashing into eachother’, but if you take a moment to look at what actually happened, you’ll see that everything that would have seriously influenced his race, happened behind him. He only benefitted from Hamilton and Massa, but similarly, Hamilton benefitted from Schumacher, Senna and Webber. Again, insignificant difference.

* The first safety car is what enabled Vettel’s coming-together with Riciardo. Without the first safety car, Vettel would be at the same point (12th, 24sec down) 5 laps earlier, but he would not have had his tire strategy compromised. At best, the first safety car cancelled out the bad effect it had in the first place, but it still cost him 5 laps in which he was significantly faster than everyone but Hamilton and Räikkönen.

* The second safety car is the only that arguably helped him… gain one position. While there’s no saying he couldn’t have caught Button without, we would still be talking about 24th to 4th.

* Vettel had his one-stop strategy compromised. Hamilton had a two-stop strategy in a 3-stop race. Insignificant difference.

* Excluding Karthikeyan who qualified outside of 107% in Spain, the gap time between first and last on the grid was 106% in Barcelona. Excluding Karthikeyan (again dead last in Abu Dhabi), the gap time between first and last on the grid was 104% in Yas Marina. The backmarkers in Abu Dhabi were more competitive than in Barcelona (excluding the backmarkers, it’s pretty even with 102.5% to 102.9%).

So, now that we have some facts straight, the question.

As Bob correctly said, it seemed Hamilton was taking a more conservative approach, while Vettel was clearly fighting for the championship. How would Hamilton have faired if his goal was the podium? Would Vettel have made those three mistakes if he didn’t need to agressively overtake to get to the podium?

It all comes down to risk versus pay-off. Hamilton took less risk, and the pay-off was a measely 4 points. Vettel took more risk, and the pay-off was 15 points. Hamilton may have had the cleaner drive, but it seemed more like a normale in a car that would have ended in the points anyway, then an inspiring drive to come back from what happened. At the end of the season, it’s not about who drove the cleanest races, but who collected the most points. Vettel showed a racing spirit and relentless determination to win that championship. Vettel bounced back and never once gave up.

From my perspective, where I think the quality of the race is more determined by pushing to the limit AND getting the results, rather than by keeping your sidepots clean, Vettel had the better race. Had Vettel banzai’d himself out of the race at the end, it would have been debatable, but Vettel delivered both the performance and the results.

Bold=Not me

16. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Again with Hamilton!
    He's going to put a restraining order on you Silver.

Stop being so insecure <laugh>

17. Delete Me

18. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Safe to say that he came away from that race happy with the DRS zone lengths!

19. The Iceman

The Iceman Member

[video=youtube;EQzuG-OJg4k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQzuG-OJg4k&feature=g-all-u[/video]

20. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

It was a TLDR for me. As said before, I'm unsure if he justifying these things to us or himself. It's getting to head shaking proportions though. :p