1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Aber's Music Thread x3

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by H bomb, Feb 10, 2012.

1. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Yes Aber he seems that way, I bet he's a good laugh in the pub.

whiffletree likes this.
  2. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Long time guys, how ya'll doin? All good down here. Gutted to hear about Deke, saw Man twice when I was a teenager in London, both times at the Marquee club, they really loved them up there. Last time I saw Deke was at his Old School lectures tour in Swansea Uni about 10yrs or so ago. Such a laugh he talked about the old days and was full of stories and anecdotes about the band and rockin in the 60's and 70's, it was just like spending the evening with Mr Nice; same voice, same feel, wonderful. A true rock n roll gent from another place and time RIP dude, much love.

Great result for you guys against Leeds, great weekend for both of us actually, but even better when you get to piss of a bunch of tight arsed Yorkshiremen <laugh>.

Great band from Leeds though,

Then

was at this gig

Now

Glad their still up and runnin

Keep on winning guys, shame though, its looking more and more likely there's not going to be a derby next season after all, at least we're both holding our own now <ok>

whiffletree likes this.
  3. whiffletree

whiffletree Well-Known Member

Nice tunes guys...been away on hols with the grandson...good to be back (not).

Agree with Deke Leonard...Man were a great band. Very Sad.

Remember these Stumpy...might be a bit before abers' time. Krautrock was so coool back in the day.

4. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Hi Whiffletree, good to hear from you <ok> Not heard Guru Guru before so thanks for the new old tunes. Only Krautrock I knew in the early 70's was Can

I've picked Krautrock up from my in-laws [the sane ones]. I remember sitting in my Brother in laws flat with a load of German hippies back when I dating my wife, getting zonked to this stuff

Amon Duul ll were great, he took me to see them in Munich in 1983. It was like going to see something from another age, the crowd were so respectful, reverential even and they were great too. It was like going to see a corner stone of the German psyche, like going to see the Groundhogs in the 90's never having heard of them before or finding the John Mayall Band for the first time.

I'm gonna be a youtube archaeologist for the rest of the day, hoping to dig up some old relics from late 60's early 70's. I'll get back to you buddy <ok>

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    whiffletree likes this.
  5. whiffletree

Cheers Stumpy. How doodlin' down west mate?

Amon Duul ll are interesting. The original 'band' (Amon Duul) were more of a 'commune' than a band and they used to come together to record music or paint or whatever...whether or not they were musicians didn't really matter, it was the feeling they put into it that was more important. The Amon Duul records tend to be, lets say 'patchy' - some would say just 'noise' rather than music (not me, though). Gradually the better musicians amongst them came to the fore and started to take the musicianship more seriously (eventually they sort of morphed into Amon Duul ll).

6. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Well, I went on my 'dig' Whiff looking for old gold and came up with this brand new number from one of my old gig bands Slowdive. Forgot all about them, this is the first thing they've done for over 20 years courtesy of Trainspotting 2 I think.

Good memories flooding back now, got well into the 'Indie' scene at the time

Still Love Harriet Wheeler

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  7. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

8. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Charlatans used to be good with naughty boy Rob Collins on the Hammond B3, RIP motherfucker, I still hate BMW's

9. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

good stuff lads>>>>hows you doing>>>>>not been doing much music lately been busy in my allotment with a wind up radio so not heard any real tunes for a while.

whilst listening 2 radio I didn't hear anyone sing anywhere near 2the quality of this fella.....strange that init

10. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Love that guys voice Abber <ok>

They say that Germans have no sense of humour but I beg to differ coz they consider this band as authentic blue grass and as good as anything out of the Appalachians, they have to be joking don't they? <laugh>

Meanwhile, here's country from the Czech republic,

Don't you just love Czech girls?

11. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Love this

Great band

12. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Remember these?

Pretty good eh!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  13. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

One of the funkiest guys ever Rufus Thomas, rhythm God

14. whiffletree

Some ****-hot tunes going down there guys...cheers.

The cotton eyed Joe vid brings back memories of this lot....authentic Americana from
    way down West (West Yorkshire, that is). They've got to be seen live to be believed.

15. aberdude

good stuff lads>>>>gotta love mountain music.......its in our dna

done before but I love it so I gotta give it some airing

16. aberdude

love back 2 basics music not looking for money......that`s what makes it pure for my ears and soul

17. aberdude

good docu on tom think it was on bbc4......not every ones cup of tea but I do like a bit of tom waits not all but he got some fine writing skills.....seems he took inspiration from an American poet>>>at mo I for the life of me fail 2remember his name but he`s interesting 2 say the least.

18. aberdude

always worth giving my mate a plug.....a boy I met when he turned up for band practice after the main guitarist had his head turned by joining a band who were signing for a label>>>>>>>>>thank god that soulless dude left for false promises and the lads got aled from his greed......the band magic dog are no longer playing but aled still does.....his band henry`s funeral shoe consists of him and his brother>>>>heavy loud blues and im sure ive played them before for you>>>trouble is these days the recording of new songs are at an all time low due 2 two young uns taking up most of his time>>>>>>but needs must and family comes first>>>hopefully he will start writing some new tunes sooner rather than later tho.

anyway sorry 2 bore the eye lashed off you but here`s him on his own....bit easier on the ears than his normal stuff <laugh>

dont think its the same top lol....but i admit he looks like a French onion seller <laugh>

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Stumpy likes this.
  19. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Some superb music Aber, nice one <ok>

Saw the Tom Waits documentary, had a smile on my face the whole way through. He's such an interesting guy and once you start listening to him you cant stop.

Just where did this song come from, scares the life out of me and the lyrics bruise your brain.

20. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

Tim Buckley the flip side of Tom Waits but another tortured genius all the same.

Pretty sad this song. He wrote it for his unborn son and had little to do with the kid at all, his son was Jeff Buckley. Both had tragic endings and both died too young