1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A Gaffer Update

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

2. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

That is good news.

3. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I'll not be happy until it's actually signed, but yes, this will be excellent news if it happens. Over and above keeping any individual players, Jokanovic is the key man that we need to keep at the club if we want to keep progressing.

Surlyc likes this.
  4. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Yep, this.

5. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

To be honest, i would love to see him in charge at Seville. I think with our squad he could really do something good. Failing this, Fulham is by far the best place for him and I hope he signs. A friend sent me an article by Henry Winter from last Saturday's Times. It was excellent and he seems totally content. Interesting that SJ didn't like the state of the training pitches at MP and Khan stumped up £6.5 million to get them sorted. Shows he is committed to the manager I think.

6. Cottager58

Done Deal !!!

please log in to view this image

"Fulham Football Club is delighted to announce that Slaviša Jokanović has today signed a contract extension to remain as Head Coach at the Club until 2019.

Slaviša joined Fulham in December 2015 from Maccabi Tel Aviv, and ensured the Club maintained its imperative Sky Bet Championship status that season. During the summer of 2016, under the leadership of Tony Khan, the squad was entirely rebuilt bringing in 14 new players and releasing many of those that Slaviša inherited on arrival. With this newly assembled team, he began the 2016/17 season developing his philosophy of playing an attractive style of football synonymous with his previous teams.

A firm fans’ favourite for the attacking, passing style of play, his time at Fulham so far has marked the beginning of a turnaround in the Club’s fortunes with a Top Six finish the ambition for the end of the current campaign. Victory against higher league opposition in The FA Cup, and resounding wins against Reading and Huddersfield at the Cottage has resulted in increasing crowds and a resounding sense of optimism returning to the banks of the Thames.

This afternoon Slaviša Jokanović said: "I have made no secret of my desire to stay at Fulham and to continue the project that we have started. This is a fantastic Club full of history and tradition and I am proud to be part of that and hopefully to add a little to the story. We have a squad of young and talented players, all eager to play their part, and as we grow together I know that there is much more to come. We’ve built an identity our fans can relate to which has brought us closer to our targets, which is exciting for the future of the Club and for those fans who deserve to see the good times of elite football being played back at the Cottage again.’

Tony Khan added:

"My No. 1 priority for months has been working toward an extension that keeps Slav at Fulham. I’m personally and professionally thrilled that we have an agreement with Slav and I know Fulham supporters are right there with me. Slav has been sensational for Fulham but he’s far from satisfied, and that’s just the ambition and direction we need to reach our goals. I look forward to working with Slav and a bright future for our Club."

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Captain Morgan likes this.
  7. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

Good deal for all concerned, I think. No point having a contract longer than two years given that in two years we'll either be promoted or Slav will want to leave anyway!

8. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

Best result of the season so far!
    Very pleased.

Cottager58 likes this.
  9. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

I don't get this adulation of Jokanovic. Yes we are playing better than at any time since Magath and it's entertaining sometimes, but there's serious flaws in the way we play, our keeper & defence are poor. For all our possession we very rarely dominate games. The squad we have is one dimensional, if our passing game fails there is no alternative.

10. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

Not in total agreement SBMcB ,we have performed this season better than the last 3.
    but a worrying issue is not so much one dimension ,although a major factor , but the lonees we have
    will possibly return to their parent clubs.at the end of the season
    Untill we can perform as championship contenders with our own players I personally
    will not see Slavi as the managerial answer to our prayers

11. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

The only loanee I'd try to buy is Kalas, probably cost £6m Boro and Vitesse have both tried, the others are replacable, Piazon is being watched by the top 3 Portugese teams, Cyriac & Petsos haven't featured yet, Martin is not worth pursuing.
    If we get promoted everything changes, IMHO we only have 3 players good enough to be in the backbone of the team, McDonald, Johansen, & Cairney.

12. Cottager58

You both make good and valid points. The plus side of the Jokanovic's deal is that, on paper anyway, it gives us a sense of stability; a word I much prefer to sustainability. On the loan front Kalas is undoubtedly the prime target and today he told the local paper,

If I get the offer, I might consider something but obviously it's still quite early and we'll see what comes at the end of the season. We'll see if we're going to chase promotion or not. It depends on so many factors but I'm quite happy now.

Source: http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/spor...lsea-loanee-would-consider-permanent-12649700

13. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

I'd say that Piazon's contribution is somewhat undervalued by a number of fans. He doesn't quite have the elusiveness of Aluko, but his style of play meshes very well with what Jokanovic is trying to do.

Let's not forget how poor we were last year and how much squad turnover we've had. Jokanovic is hardly the second coming, but he's done very well with us this season.

14. Cravingawin

Cravingawin Well-Known Member

I'm astounded by some of the Slav commments. We're having a decent season but the footie played almost week in , week out has been terrific. This guy can get us back in the premier but if he doesn't we'll have seen Fulham play some great football. Imo

Captain Morgan and 2whitestripes like this.
  15. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

16. Cookie-6262

Cookie-6262 Well-Known Member

Although we are far from perfect, what Slav has managed to do in one summer is quite frankly unbelievable! A club on a 5 year downward spiral, a 14 player squad overhaul, not had loads of money (net) to do it, I can't believe there is anyone out there not impressed! Had we snared Enrich in January I believe we would definitely finished top six as it is I'm happy where we are and for the first time in half a decade I'm enjoying watching Fulham again and for that thank you Slav!