1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

A Few Words by Shaun Goater...

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Sep 27, 2011.

1. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

This is self indulgence,so please forgive me,this is a forward written by SG for the book,'The Bristol City Miscellany' that I came across a short while ago,so I thought I'd share with all,I really enjoyed the read,I hope you do.....wiz

I loved my time at Ashton Gate and will always have a place in my heart for Bristol City and their supporters. When my wife Anita and I came to look around the city in the summer of 1996,we thought it was the closest place to Bermuda we'd come across since leaving our home island almost a decade earlier.The sun was shining,I could smell the sea and there were seagulls everywhere - heaven after seven years under the leaden skies of Rotherham!

The City fans were quick to get behind me and I'd like to think I repaid that faith out on the pitch. Many games stick in my mind but the hat-tricks against Notts County and Wigan evoke particularly strong memories for me.

We were gunning for the title in 1997/98 when I was sold to Manchester City - it was a massive move for me,even though they were on their way to relegation from Division One - but ultimately,it gave me a chance of playing in the Premiership. I'd always dreamed at playing at the highest level in England and even though I was extremely happy in Bristol, I couldn't turn down the chance of fast tracking my ambition,If I'd been worried about the reaction of the people of Bristol to that move, I shouldn't have been because the reception I got when I finally returned to Ashton Gate will stay with me forever. It must have been scripted that my final game before my retirement would be for Southend, my final club away to Bristol City. With the Southend, Bristol City and several hundred Manchester City fans all singing 'Feed the Goat', it's a day I'll never forget.

I was delighted to be asked to write the first few words of this book and I hope you enjoy'The Bristol City Miscellany' as much as I have - maybe there'll be one or two facts about the club you didn't know. Test me if you see me next time I'm in town! Feed the Goat - with facts.

Shaun 'Lenny' Goater Bermuda.2009.

2. ibodyslamrhinos

ibodyslamrhinos Active Member

My brother just gave me this book tonight for a belated birthday present...