1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

60 min games with clock stops

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by PINKIE, Jun 19, 2017.

1. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Some reforms for the game are up for discussion. One standout one being that 90 min games are scrapped and instead replaced with two 30 min halves, with the clock being stopped when the ball goes out of play (and for other stoppages)

A proposal to scrap 45-minute halves is to be looked at by football's lawmakers to deter time-wasting.
    Instead, there could be two periods of 30 minutes with the clock stopped whenever the ball goes out of play.
    Lawmaking body the International Football Association Board (Ifab) says matches only see about 60 minutes of "effective playing time" out of 90.

Additionally, it suggests match officials stop their watch:

• a penalty being awarded to the spot-kick being taken
    • from a goal being scored until the match resumes from the kick-off
    • from asking an injured player if he requires treatment to play restarting
    • from the referee showing a yellow or red card to play resuming
    • from the signal of a substitution to play restarting
    • from a referee starting to pace a free-kick to when it is taken
    Other proposals include the following :
    • passing to yourself at a free-kick, corner and goal-kick
    • a stadium clock which stops and starts along with the referee's watch
    • allowing the goal-kick to be taken even if the ball is moving
    • a goal-kick being taken on the same side that the ball went out on
    • a "clearer and more consistent definition" of handball
    • a player who scores a goal or stops a goal with his hands gets a red card
    • a keeper who handles a backpass or throw-in from a team-mate concedes a penalty
    • the referee can award a goal if a player stops a goal being scored by handling on or close to the goal-line
    • referees can only blow for half-time or full-time when the ball goes out of play
    • a penalty kick is either scored or missed/saved and players cannot follow up to score to stop encroachment into the penalty area

I am in favour of the 30 min half with clock stopping. I hate seeing time deliberate time wasting and as mentioned in the article, there can be as little as 25 mins of effective play in a 45 min half. I'm also in favour of the HT or FT whistle only being blown when the ball goes out of play.

Thoughts ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40311889

2. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

Football is 45 minutes so changing to 30 would be a joke. I agree with stopping the clock but that should be to get the full 45 mins per half not saying, well we only tend to get 30 mins of play anyway. I expect prices won't go down for supporters?

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  3. JohnTheFox

Some of them I agree like the back going out before blowing up but passing to yourself from a set piece? Wtf!

4. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

It's pretty much a copy of RFU rules now. Especially the clock stops and the final whistle cannot be blown until the ball goes out of play, or play breaks down.

5. Libby

Libby 9-0

The game would go on too long if you did that.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

luvgonzo likes this.
  6. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

How about not messing with the game.

Lovearsenalcock and Libby like this.
  7. JohnTheFox

Maybe not stopping the clock for everything but in cases where it's blatently obvious the game had stopped like between a goal and kick off or an injury. Also when players take ages to get subbed of. Even if it was only those. Mainly though I'm just against changing the half length. Leave it as it is or make minor change like what I've said above not massive wholesale changes to the game!!

8. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

There are always disputes over so called 'injury time'. They've been going on since forever.

It would make sense to me for the Ref to stop the clock for injuries. Then restart once the player is back on his feet or has been removed from the field of play.

At least we might get some fairly accurate 'injury time' played, for once.

PINKIE likes this.
  9. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I agree with the sentiment, however the game does need refining. A 45 minute half only has about 25 minutes of actual game time, that's quite pathetic. On the other hand what's the point of all this, just to get another 5 minutes of fame play.

It's all one big illusion to me, the game should be refined to nullify this waste of time but why not the 45 minutes, like John said? People deserve to watch a 90 minute game, they pay for that.

Lieb says the game would go on too long, I don't think it's too long considering we would actually get 45 minutes of football per half as the illusion suggests.

10. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

The only thing I would change is the off side rule. Change it back to one off all off. Simple.

PINKIE likes this.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

As I said to John, the game would go on too long, evening games wouldn't finish until about 11.

Using your example it's only in play for approximately half the time so you can double it essentially.

Imagine away fans at a cup tie which went to et <yikes>

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  12. Libby

Libby 9-0

Agreed.

If you're on the pitch and in the box then you're interfering with play in my book.

HRH Custard VC and Blueman like this.
  13. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I get that, I just think I want to watch 45 minutes of football. I understand the 30 minutes law means 30 minutes of football. On average the game would be gaining around 6-10 minutes of ball play per game in total?

Worst time wasting tactic I find is watching players walk off milking the crowd...takes longer than a minute, if the ref did his job, that's about 4 minutes in total just there per game.

14. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Not allowed to score from a saved penalty to stop encroachment?
    Here's an idea....just apply the current rules properly.

Allowed to pass to yourself at a free kick or corner? Sissoko will still miss!

The ref CAN award a goal if a player stops a goal being scored by handling on or close to the goal-line...no chance of inconsistency with this one is there?

Libby likes this.
  15. JohnTheFox

I do get that and wouldn't want it to be like rugby when, like you say, it can go on for ages. Maybe if the watch was stopped for simple thinks like subs, it would encourage less time wasting. A player knows now that 30 secs get added on if the ref is even competent enough for that, but they can still drag it out longer. Thinks like free kicks, throw ins, corners just get on with it. Possibly just subs and goals. Would hate for them to reduce it to 30 minutes though

16. HaslemereKev

HaslemereKev Well-Known Member

The cynic in me says the clock-stopping rule is aimed for televised matches so they can sneak in adverts during these stoppages. I just think they need to clamp down more on the time wasters - maybe one warning, and if they do it again, a 10 minute sin bin.

Wouldn't mind them re-looking at the offside rule to be more clear and handballs...

17. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

But the reduction to 30 mins with stoppages when the ball goes dead would actually increase the playing time.

18. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

I'd like to see the final whistle only blown when the ball goes out of play. That could potentially bring some intense excitement at the end of the match. I also think the 'hand ball rule' needs sorting out, no one knows wtf they're doing regarding that at the moment.

I like the idea of the new timing system mentioned, but I'd stick with 45 mins. Having a clock in the stadium that's exactly the same as the refs in this situation would be cool.

The passing to yourself rule is a strange one, I guess on free kicks you could tap it to the side and then hit it. Might be worth considering, but tbh even that is taking things too far. It's hardly broke now.

Some of them proposed are a bit stupid tbh. .

19. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Some channels already carry small ads during the game, but I'd hate it if there were full screen adds during stoppages.

20. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

I agree. But the issue will always be that time wasting isn't always objective. They'll be so many arguments as to what is time wasting and what isn't. Far too subjective to add a rule in really. The clock stopping would make that a totally moot point though.