1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic 6 Nations

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sheffordqpr, Feb 3, 2017.

1. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

OK fellow egg-chaser fans, the 6 Nations kicks off tomorrow with Scotland V Ireland at 14:25 followed by England V France at 16:50 and Italy V Wales at 14:00 on Sunday.

5 straight wins by England would be a World record. Personally, I can't see it happening. I think we may well struggle tomorrow. I do however, think we will win the tournament. Thoughts?

2. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Below are the new rules applying to the 6 Nations competition re bonus points. I'm a bit bemused by (iv), awarding three match points to a Grand Slam winner. What's the point, the competition's over?

"Competition points will be awarded in all matches on the following basis:

(i) The Union that wins the Match shall be awarded four Match Points or (if it scores four tries or more in the process) five Match Points.

(ii) The Union that loses the Match shall be awarded no Match Points or (if it scores four tries or more in the process or loses by a margin of seven points or fewer) one Match Point or (if it scores four tries or more in the process and loses by a margin of seven points or fewer) two Match Points.

(iii) Unions that draw a Match shall each be awarded two Match Points and any of them that scores four tries or more in the process shall be awarded a further one Match Point.

(iv) A Union that wins all five of its Matches (a "Grand Slam") shall be awarded a further three Match Points."

3. KentGaz

KentGaz Well-Known Member

Clear as custard

4. GoldhawkRoad

- or creme Anglaise, as Les Frenchies will be saying tomorrow

KentGaz likes this.
  5. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Lots of injuries for England, so I'm expecting a French win tomorrow.

6. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

And what is the point of this

(iv) A Union that wins all five of its Matches (a "Grand Slam") shall be awarded a further three Match Points."

Edit Ok I gettit

England wins all its matches 9-6 on penalties (5 matches x 4 points)....20 points
    The magnificent Irish lose the match vs England 6-9 but go on a rampage vs everyone else winning 35 -0 (5 tries)...and so gets (4 matches x 5 points) =20 points...
    Boring England still win

GoldhawkRoad and finglasqpr like this.
  7. sheffordqpr

I am always interested as to who will get the wooden spoon. My money is on Scotland!

8. sheffordqpr

There are still tickets available for the Calcutta Cup.

9. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

I think it is between Ireland and England and the head to head clash in Dublin will be crucial. As the current champions and reigning Grand Slam Champions, England are definitely the team to beat. Here's to a good tournament and may the best team win. Enjoy lads.

GoldhawkRoad likes this.
  10. GoldhawkRoad

I think you've put your finger on it, Beth. Otherwise it would be technically possible for a team to win all matches poorly and not win the Championship

11. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

It would be hilarious if it was Wales.

12. sheffordqpr

Hilarious, but not likely. It is nice to see that Italy are no longer the whipping boys of the tournament.

13. acricketer

acricketer Well-Known Member

Hoping for an England v. Ireland winner take all final game.

14. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Please win all five games
    Then at least I only have to listen about back to back world cup wins

15. QPRNUTS

QPRNUTS Well-Known Member

Very interesting tournament ahead. Possibly the most competitive in years. Don't back against Scotland. They will be far more competitive this year than in recent years. Italy remain poor but may pick up a home win. Wales have been found out and will compete with the French for third spot.
    Ireland and England are the standout teams. Complete reversal this year with Ireland stronger from 1-10 and England will a much more penitrative backline. I think home advantage and a significantly stronger and more experienced bench will swing it marginally in Irelands favour.
    No grand slam this year IMO for any team.

finglasqpr likes this.
  16. hammersmith junior

hammersmith junior Well-Known Member

Sorry Col, got to disagree with you on this one. I think we're smash em today, more than enough quality in our side despite missing some key players again. Big misses such as Robshaw,Watson and most notably Vunipola,but I don't think this is a vintage French team by any means. The return of Itoje in my eyes is colossal, I already think he's world class and in my opinion he will be the next captain and as big an influence on the side as McGraw was for the All Blacks. Looking forward to a cracking tournament and I think the Jocks might scare 1 or 2 this year. All set up for a belter between ourselves and the Irish,and I fancy our pack and Farrell's boot will prove the difference ! Enjoy it everyone.

17. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I liked playing it but not fussed about watching much of it.

When are they going to introduce relegation or do a second division including Georgia, Romania and the like? Italy are the Sunderland of the Six Nations. Just there and full of ex-Everton players.

18. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

I think they should introduce both Georgia and Romania, to broaden the game, look how the Italians have progressed. Have two pools of four, first and second in each pool play in the semis have final and third and fourth play off, still only 5 games to play. Likewise have 5th to 8th play off with 8th team play a one-off game V another team for entrance following year, who won a similar tournament for the lesser teams.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  19. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Scotland are vastly improved this year, they have a big contingent from the successful Glasgow team and that will be an advantage. They have a tough start against Ireland but if they get a result today their self-belief will be high. I think England and Ireland are the main contenders but there are always surprise results somewhere along the way. Italy for the wooden spoon...

20. NigsyHoops

NigsyHoops Well-Known Member

Think we will beat France. Think Scotland will give the Irish a good run for their money and Scotland could be the surprise team. All on for the weekend off St Patrick's day weekend to see if us or the Irish. Straight after the 4 days of the Cheltenham festival. Better make sure my betting accounts have been loaded.

surreyhoop and finglasqpr like this.