1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

3-5-2 good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by G4rdToonArmy, Jun 21, 2017.

1. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Noticed in an article about the potential new incoming French CB, Lejuene, that Rafa may be looking at switching to 3 at the back next season.

"Interestingly, Newcastle are believed to have experimented behind the scenes towards the end of last season with a 3-5-2 formation and it will be interesting to see whether Lascelles, Clark and Lejuene feature in that type of system in pre-season."
    http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...le-united-florian-lejeune-transfers--13214084

Would be interesting to see if this comes to fruition and Rafa did tinker with this formation a few times last season.

Not sure we have the quality at the CB or in CM to play that formation as you need 3 seriously good CB's and 1 or 2 fantastic DM's (a la Kante for Chelsea) to make it work and allow the full backs and/or wingers to get forwards and support the strikers. Personally if it were to be 3 at the back I'd copy Chelsea's formation of 3-4-3 from last season as the 2 wide forwards can help out the wing backs on the defensive side of things.

Probably just tabloid (Chronicle) BS but thought it would be interesting to see what people think although obviously is going to depend on who we sign and sell this summer.

Thoughts?

2. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I'm a bigger fan of 343 but I don't think formations are the be all and end all. As long as you buy the right players to play the formation you will be ok.

For instance Conte was clever in working out what was best for his squad. Alonso and Moses are made for those roles. Azpilicueta and Luiz are well suited to it. Costa has that presence that can bring Hazard and Pedro into the game. Then of course the midfield pairing of Kante and Matic can give you that defensive solidity for the rampaging of Alonso and Moses.

As long as you are clear in your thinking and clear in your gameplan, most systems can be effective. This is where Rafa fell down at home, his gameplan was flawed and he failed to correct it. I don't think you can knock his away gameplan.

3. Judge Death

Judge Death Well-Known Member

Probably accommodates Yedlin nicely on the right, less so Dummett on the left - maybe this is where Atsu fits in?

Certainly need to add someone at DCM if we go down that route

4. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

I think we need some different personel. We would be ok at CB I think and Rafa can coach this system (takes more discipline i reckon) but we would need someone who can get up and down the left much better and definitely a quality DM.

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  5. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

It's dependent on having 3 excellent CB's ad 2 fast and energetic wingbacks, or whatever you want to call them. Our CB's would struggle. We are short at least 1 wingback

General Lee Speaking likes this.
  6. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

I think the wide positions is a much bigger problem. I reckon Yedlin would do alright, but that's it. You need 1st choice and cover both sides. Especially is a demanding position. Spurs for instance have Walker Rose and good back up in Davis and Trippier.

7. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

Young Sterry's an attacking full back too. Dummett would suit a defensive 3 pretty well, IMO. No attacking mentality, but quick and left footed. Azplicueta was an average left back for a while, now a world class CB. Wouldn't be the same in a back four, though.

As Hank says, its about using players correctly with a central theme. Rafa kept failing sticking with a 4-2-3-1 without a decent all round striker, a number 10 or a truly decent DM. Disagree on Atsu as wide left, though, he'd be the Hazard with RItchie the Willian. If we played it. Which we won't.

8. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Haidara is being primed as an attacking full back

9. Warmir Pouchov

<laugh>

He's being primed for a spit roast. Not the sexual kind.

10. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Only cos he'd tear you a new one!! <laugh>

11. Warmir Pouchov

He couldn't tear a sheet of paper mate. Chocolate fireguard springs to mind - actually that sounds kinda racist <yikes>

Flash likes this.
  12. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Only in a PC brigade obsessed world.

13. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

For which Club? Is he going? And is that Windy's surprise?

14. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

15. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

Why? Have Carlisle United put in a bid?

Warmir Pouchov likes this.