1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2nd round draw tonight

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Tonight, the draw for the 2nd round of the FA Cup will take place.

It is live on BBC 2 at 7pm.

Rovers will be ball number 32.

Here is the full list of the teams left with their ball numbers....

1. Sheffield United
    2. Millwall
    3. Dagenham & Redbridge or FC Halifax Town
    4. Oxford United
    5. Taunton Town or Barrow
    6. Southport or Fleetwood Town
    7. Yeovil Town or Solihull Moors
    8. Woking
    9. Sutton United
    10. Macclesfield Town
    11. Port Vale
    12. Northampton Town
    13. Cambridge United or Dover Athletic
    14. Westfields or Curzon Ashton
    15. Milton Keynes Dons
    16. Gillingham or Brackley Town
    17. Alfreton Town or Newport County
    18. Wycombe Wanderers
    19. Maidstone United or Rochdale
    20. Bury or AFC Wimbledon
    21. Carlisle United
    22. Boreham Wood or Notts County
    23. Plymouth Argyle
    24. Braintree Town
    25. Hartlepool United
    26. Bolton Wanderers
    27. Accrington Stanley
    28. Oldham Athletic
    29. Eastleigh or Swindon Town
    30. Shrewsbury Town
    31. Morecambe or Coventry City
    32. Crawley Town or Bristol Rovers
    33. Whitehawk or Stourbridge
    34. Chesterfield
    35. Lincoln City
    36. Luton Town
    37. Charlton Athletic
    38. Cheltenham Town or Crewe Alexandra
    39. Peterborough United
    40. Blackpool

2. The Great Gashead

The Great Gashead Active Member

Hope we get Stourbridge, if we get past Crawley. Nice little non league ground.

3. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Home to Taunton or Barrow

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  4. The Great Gashead

Taunton would be good. After what happened to Rigg last time we faced Barrow would prefer not to meet them. Anyway home to Taunton in a West Country derby and hopefully we could donate our portion of the gate to help keep them going, as other clubs seem to be doing to help sustain football throughout the pyramid.

5. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

One of the Barrow players was sent off against Taunton for a head-butt what a nice bunch they are.

6. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

There must be a great chance of a cup run for a change...

7. The Great Gashead

History repeating itself!

8. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

I take back what I previously said in a different thread about not being too concerned about a cup run - having done well at Crawley the other day, what a great incentive to win the replay at The Mem and face either Barrow or Taunton at home. I have great faith that DC wont allow us to be embarrassed by a non - league team like we have in the past, and if we do manage to progress, who knows what luck might be lying in wait for us in round 3. I also read recently that every club that makes it through round 2 receives £27000 in prize money so that would help the coffers a little too.

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Oh yeah, I remember that punch on Rigg. He got a broken jaw didnt he?

Well he is bound to end up at FGR then!

10. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

We just got to get past Crawley now!

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

12. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

I can remember when Barrow were a league club along with the likes of Workington and the Haig Avenue boys at Southport, quite a representation up there in the North West, now I suppose though superseded by the likes of Fleetwood and Morecombe.

Didn't their defender get into a lot of trouble for that slug on Rigger ? I'm sure I remember that he got prosecuted, I know Shearer was none too impressed with it on MOTD.

13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Looking back to see what happened to the Barrow player...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/6144000.stm
    A Bristol Rovers football player, punched during an FA Cup game on Saturday, has said he wants to press charges.
    Barrow defender James Cotterill appeared to strike Sean Rigg in the FA Cup defeat by Bristol Rovers.
    Mr Rigg was left with a double fracture of the jaw during the incident.
    In a statement, Bristol Rovers said: "The player has advised Bristol Rovers FC that he wishes to press charges. Cumbrian police have been informed."
    Mr Cotterill may be disciplined by his club after the incident.
    "We would like to send our best wishes to Sean for a speedy recovery and apologise to him and Bristol Rovers for the injury," said a Barrow statement. "The club would like to emphasise that they deem violent conduct by any Barrow player totally unacceptable."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/6252157.stm
    A footballer has been jailed for hitting a rival player in the face during an FA Cup match.
    Barrow defender James Cotterill, 24, pleaded guilty to punching Bristol Rovers striker Sean Rigg during a first round match on 11 November last year.
    He was sentenced to four months at Preston Crown Court after admitting grievous bodily harm.
    Cotterill is thought to be the first player in recent history in England to be jailed for an offence on the pitch.
    The incident took place at Conference North club Barrow's Holker Street Stadium.
    Father-of-one Cotterill fractured Mr Rigg's jaw in two places during the "highly charged" match between Barrow and their League Two opponents.
    The court heard Mr Rigg had to drink through a straw and eat with a teaspoon as a result of the punch. His jaw will be held in place by metal plates for the rest of his life.
    Peter Kennedy, defending, described the punch as "a moment of folly" that took place in "the heat of the moment".
    Cotterill hit Mr Rigg from behind so the striker had no idea what had happened to him.
    He told police that, earlier on in the game, Mr Rigg had "barged into him".
    Mr Kennedy said: "The defendant thought this was about to recur so he said he struck out and punched him to get him away."
    The off-the-ball assault was not seen by the referee or any other players, however television cameras captured the off-the-ball assault, which was shown that evening to millions of viewers on the BBC's Match of the Day.
    The Football Association (FA) banned Cotterill from playing football until March 2007.
    Cotterill resigned after the incident and has been working as an apprentice cable jointer while he sees out his suspension.
    He was ordered to pay £270 costs.

After his release from prison, he re-started his football career with non league clubs: Ossett Town, Guiseley, Bradford Park Avenue and now plays for Handsworth Parramore.

From James Cotterill wiki page... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cotterill
    On 11 January 2007 he was jailed for four months after pleading guilty to causing grievous bodily harm.
    An appeal to free Cotterill had failed, however, he was soon released from prison on 14 February 2007 although he was forced to wear an electronic tag in his home town Barnsley until 11 March 2007.
    Hoping to re-build his life, Cotterill also thanked the Barrow fans who helped release him. Cotterill also apologised to Sean Rigg saying he "never intended to hurt Sean".
    After Cotterill's sentence had been passed, Barrow players past and present were shocked at the severity of the punishment.
    Barrow's chairman Brian Keen said that he was "made an example of."
    Barrow fans have suggested that Cotterill has been made a scapegoat due to the fact the Match of the Day cameras were there.

14. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

If we get past Crawley, Based on that last paragraph, I hope we get Barrow again and really stuff them good and proper <grr>

GreatWesternGas likes this.
  15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

16. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Yes, too right, I mean, apart from nuclear submarines what has Barrow ever done for us !

17. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

I would like us to help out Taunton... and beat them of course!

18. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. I'd forgotten that incident with Sean Rigg when I heard the draw, would be nice to give them a good hiding in the next round just to teach them not to mess with The Gas! :emoticon-0136-giggl

19. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

I seem to remember that Barrow slated Sean Rigg for taking action against their player and Alan Shearer said on MOTD that if it happened to one of them in Barrow town centre would they still complain