1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2017 " revolution "

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Johny we won't be spunking £7 mill on one player plus signing on fee of 10% plus £20k wages over four years plus bonuses etc we're just not going to do that.

Not financially sound to be spending upwards of £11.700.000 on one player who could have a Luke Nillis bad tackle and career be over. Very unlikely but a huge risk.

Don't forget, Derby have just sold two players for £18 mill and another for £3 mill. Is spending £7 mill on one player and allowing three key players to go " showing ambition ? "

2. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

I have been underwhelmed by our new signings this Summer and may I remind you that Evans has trousered much of the Murphy Fee (£3 Million), Cresswell Fee (£3 Million) and Mings Fee (£7 Million) and last year we spent a paltry £110K!!!! I think we can all draw our own conclusions on whether Evans is showing any real ambition for this club! <ok>

fieldmarshall likes this.
  3. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I don't think Lawrence will do much this season. I think we got lucky with him.

4. Westlake33

Ward + Webster cost more than £110k! Cresswell £3.75 with add ons rising to £7 mill - granted I thought we were robbed the fee. Mings we absolutely robbed Bournemouth in my opinion. Sale of the century that.

On the surface of it, sure Evans has but in reality we lose upwards of £7 mill every single year - something I don't feel at all comfortable with so without the odd sale
    ( Again, it's not going to help us achieve anything ) where would it leave us!?

fieldmarshall likes this.
  5. Westlake33

Pitman's departure appears to be confirmed - all for this. Doesn't fit a higher pressing 4-4-2 system that I think we'll play next year. Sure, a good finisher but offers sod all in terms of overall game in my opinion. A good option if we're going to play a different way however I think we can do better.

Good luck.

Nuggets likes this.
  6. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Agree he didn't fit into Micks style of play but thought he was a good player and pretty good on the ball as well he just didn't really have the physical attributes

Nuggets likes this.
  7. stretchyboy

I see we've just signed Iorfa on loan from wolves. That certainly came out of the blue. From the little ive seen of him, he looks awesome (for our level) excellent signing. Looks like we'll be playing with a back 3/5 this season.
    Even before all these transfers I said we'd finish top 6, I'm more confident now.
    If we can now somehow manage to find that elusive 20 goal striker, then we could end up being one of the faves to go up (From being favourites for relegation)

8. Westlake33

Crikey Stretchy you're very upbeat, good on ya! Excellent signing this - allows Josh to develop for at least half a year and come back a better player. I read it as still a 4-4-2 however I think Lorfa will go straight in at RB with Spence cover both sides - could be wrong, but we were back to 4-4-2 for both friendlies so I think that's the way we're going. 12 caps at England U21 and 91 starts for Wolves already - certainly has the experience and can play CB too.

More importantly - THIS SHOULD 100% SIGNAL THE END OF CHAMBERS AT RB. WAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

For me, we're clearly lacking a striker which will come and perhaps one more. Otherwise, things on the up. I think we could surprise a few this term....

9. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I agree that Iorfa was a surprising loan signing, but all in all a good move. West Ham were linked to an £8m move for him last summer, and now he's at Portman Road! I think we've benefited from Wolves having a big transfer budget and splashing millions (I think they've already bought in five defenders). Loan deals are always a mixed bag, but I think that similar to the situation with Huws, we may be able to sign Iorfa permanently next year if he becomes surplus to requirements.

As Westy mentioned, this surely ends the Chambers at right back debacle, and Iorfa also provides support at centre-back if needed. We need a couple of strikers and a winger to offer competition out wide. John Marquis from Doncaster, who scored 26 goals last season and is 25, will hopefully be one of those to make the move.

As for further departures, I can only really see Bru being moved out. If we can retain our other players, especially Bart and Webster, then I think a mid-table finish is a realistic achievement, but we could once again we knocking on the door to the play offs.

10. Westlake33

Word on the street 5'9 and Huddersfield striker Harry Bunn is the latest to join for £500 - £600k .

He's listed as a forward on Wiki, however judging by his goal record must have been deployed out wide last season.... yep - upon reading TWTD he is primarily a wide man.

So potentially Bunn / Rowe / Celina and Ward battling for 2 wide spots. If happens, certainly an upgrade out wide.

BADLY NEED a striker, and I would suggest quality CB to replace Berra and partner Webster. Lukey C, sorry mate if I had it my way you'd be sub this term. At least you won't be RB. That said, rather you than Tommy Smith CB any day.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017

11. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Harry Bunn would be a very good signing and would add some much kneaded competition to our wide options with Celina, Ward and Rowe and hopefully mean that Sears is primarily seen as a Striker from now on.

I would also expect us to go out and sign another striker (probably on loan) as we still only have 3 strikers (Garner, McG & Sears) so a 4th option is an absolute must, but it looks like the squad is slowly coming together to look half decent

itfcptc likes this.
  12. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Rumours on TWATTER that Ashley Barnes is about to sign on loan! <doh>

13. stretchyboy

Really? That's a good signing, did pretty good for a s hit Burnley team

14. Westlake33

I actually know Ashley as used to play footy with him, he won't be coming here.

15. stretchyboy

Spoil sport.. lol

16. Westlake33

I remember playing for Norton Nomads on a Sunday morning in our first season - he was representing the Lamb pub for Ac Mee Lamb and he scored six vs us in one game. We were bloody awful that first year, so naive. I think we lost 13-0 ( I'll have to check ) one game because some of our crap players would refuse to play dirty and av it. Mind you we were all 16 - 19 so yeah. I digress. Ashley was 16 at the time, and despite doing that wasn't remotely the best player on their side.

They are all utterly amazed he's made it as a professional player, let alone a Prem player.

I remember speaking to him when at Plymouth, the night before a cup match vs Palace in the Greyhound pub in Norton. He knew he was starting the game the following night, but was absolutely hammered.

17. Westlake33

Welcome aboard, WAGGY. Good fee good age :)

18. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure where to add this, but thought it might be of interest, particularly for the next week or so whilst Sunderland try to sort out their next appointment.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town...land-in-a-heartbeat--if-i-was-out-of-contract

Could certainly be construed as a "Come and Get me" to Sunderland.. Which would probably give Evans a heart attack and he'd only go and offer him a new bumper contract here instead out of panic of having to find someone else <doh>

19. stretchyboy

Oh how naive and foolish i was LOL

Bigalreigned likes this.
  20. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Enjoying the readthrough, and while I'm glad some of my observations and predictions are on the money, my preferred line up in pre season looks horrible now! This was before Waghorn though, so I'd like to think I'd put him ahead of Sears!

Westlake33 likes this.