1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

2017 Driver Lineup

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Sportista, May 2, 2016.

1. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Very good point. Button wasn't doing too bad at all this season. Alonso not sure whether he will enjoy racing next season, it makes sense to keep him (an old head) in the wings.

2. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wonder how much I'll enjoy F1 next year. There really isn't anyone else that I care where they finish.

Time to see what it's like for a neutral.

The 2018 thing is like you say only if Alonso leaves. More of a "so you're telling me there's hope" situation. He's been demoted to being a glorified reserve driver. Regardless of how much Ron bullshits.

"innovative three driver solution" ha.

TopClass and EternalMSC like this.
  3. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Do you think it was based on qualifying at all? I am sure a decision so important can't be based on one lap.

4. Julius Caesar

Forum Moderator

I think the decision was made last year.

5. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

He's clearly okay with it, otherwise why not turn it down and sign for Williams or go to WEC for a full time drive?

Don't think there is much bullshit going on, Jenson had the option to walk if he wanted to.

Losing both Button and Massa will make the sport a poorer place, but as I said, it gives some new blood the chance in two teams that aren't perennial backmarkers so lets be pleased for that.

6. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

Sad, but not unexpected.

Had a little wobble early in in his career, but I think probably the most underrated driver of the last 30 years.

Carried himself with a dignity and decency that very few of his modern peers managed. We often talk excessively and inappropriately about how sports people are role models in our society, but Jenson does genuinely fit the term.

Would love him to get one last win. Surely Bernie could arrange that for Singapore?

7. Julius Caesar

Forum Moderator

By bullshit i simply mean the thin veil they are putting up by avoiding the word "retirement". It's not a sabbatical and it's a not a "three driver solution". Not that it is particularly unfair. As you say he's agreed to it. Either because he truly is tired of it all, or because he's enchanted by the pipe dream of getting the 2018 drive.

8. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Gutted beyond words about Jenson because I wanted he and Fernando to go hammer and tongues in a championship level car.

The lack of ruthlessness in the decision (I.e Button agreeing to being available in 2018 and McLaren not cutting ties) suggests there are massive doubts about either a) Alonso staying beyond next year, b) Vandoorne making the cut, c) McLaren having a championship contender in 2017.

It leaves more questions than answers and Alonso looks vulnerable in this situation to me.

Most bizarre.

9. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That has to be the most expensive insurance policy ever? 2 year contract at X million in case......?

10. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

11. Julius Caesar

Forum Moderator

From what Jenson has said there's nothing stopping him racing in other series while performing his reserve driver duties. Also said there's no current plans and that he's quite enjoying not having a plan.

12. allsaintchris.

Would like to see him do Le Mans

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  13. Sportista

Really? You're very odd!

EternalMSC likes this.
  14. Mrcento

Mrcento Active Member

Yup. In an era of no real testing, what exactly is he supposed to develop? Apart from his tan on the beach.....

It's clearly a deal to keep the sponsors happy and have them completely covered if Alonso leaves. Probably the right decision though.

15. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Button didn't turn down Williams. They got fed up of waiting. Talk of a Canadian f3 driver?

16. Sportista

The son of Billionaire. It would seem that Williams need the cash. Fry/Smedley have been pushing the Williams' to bring in a pay driver for months to allow more technical investment.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  17. Mrcento

Mrcento Active Member

Yeah it's going to be Lance Stroll. They may as well announce it, it's clear as day. Teams don't organise multiple test days for drivers unless they are determined to put them in the car long term.

Williams want money to help them compete and Stroll, aside from having an impressive record (on paper, at least) in junior formulae, also comes with a 30milliion dollar purse. When your only other big money options are Felipe Nasr or rehiring Pastor Maldonado and, neither of whole carry anything like the budget of stroll and are both proven as average to poor F1 drivers, it's an easy decision. Especially when you consider the extra exposure they'll get for having another kid in there and the marketing opportunities stateside/In Canada.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  18. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'll be happy if Williams takes on Stroll. If Bottas does leave then they'll maybe take Lynn on to. Both fairly acceptable youth drivers.

19. allsaintchris.

With all the simulator testing they do etc, I don't think having two complete rookies makes any difference these days. All the development of the cars is done at the factory, so if a kid can drive fast then little else makes much difference. Torro Rosso have shown they can be relatively competitive with novice drivers, even allowing for their second-string engines and parts they get from others.

Will save Williams a stack of money in salaries, all of which can go back into developing the car. I do worry that Williams aren't the technical force they once were, so how productive would they be with all the extra money?