1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours transfer thread fact and fiction

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

I'd be more than happy for us to keep him. I think the switch to 3 at the back and Jan improving every element of his game threw the big Austrian and his confidence took a massive hit as a result. I think we'd struggle to find a better left-footed CB for the money we spent on Kev. To my mind, if we're persisting with 3 at the back it's another right-footed CB we need to be looking for, unless CCV is suddenly deemed ready to step up to the plate.

2. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Really? With the global network of scouts, endless analytical data and unprecedented allure of PL riches now available to us, I'd have thought that a 50% success rate is the bare minimum to be aiming for in each window. It's unreasonable to expect every signing to work out brilliantly, but by the same token being able to flip a coin and guess the outcome more often than a transfer working out is an insult to the people recruiting them to start with.

3. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Three of those players were very young, vey inexperienced and playing in a league with significantly lower standards than the PL. Buying them to be first team options was, at best, hugely optimistic. At worst, it was foolish. I've no problem with us doing it but these players are all punts......... on the other hand, Sissoko's a ****. A big one.

There's no excuse, rhyme or reason for buying someone who had spectacularly failed over a number of seasons at a lesser club. Paying your record transfer fee for him is just insane.

Lovearsenalcock and Citizen Kane like this.
  4. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

But every big club has all that and the selling clubs who see the player every day won't sell unless we pay more than they think he is worth so tossing a coin would lead to a systematic loss. And your list included 4 players who are worth 2 or 3 times what we paid for them while the 4 duds would probably fetch nearly what we paid. Look at any other club and see if you think half the signings are a success.....

5. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

What annoys me is that the all-knowing pundits are too ready to flag up the transfer mistakes of clubs such as ourselves when we get it wrong, and don't give us anywhere enough credit for the amazing business we have done (with the exception of Dele). On the other hand they routinely ignore the multiple failures costing tens of millions that the Citeh's of this world regularly make, and laud them for their brilliant discovery of wunderkid Jesus (as if an unknown player costs £30m), and how spending hundreds of millions allows their manager to be a brilliant manager.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  6. "Thanks for that Brian"

This one had monumental **** up written all over it. Without exception we all thought it was bonkers......and it was. It's a!l the more bonkers given how well we'd done on so many transfers since 2013.

7. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Not at all.

The PL has that combination of physicality and pace that
    other leagues do not really have. So "like for like" assessments
    become difficult on the non-technical aspects of a potential
    signing. OTOH the PL is IMHO the "New York, New York" for a
    technically good player.

8. "Thanks for that Brian"

According to The Daily Mirror, we are going to enter into negotiations with Toby Alderweireld and will be awarding him a "bumper new contract".

I guess that depends upon your definition of "bumper". I hope it's enough for Tobyb given what Southampton want for Virgil Van Dijk.

9. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

It was certainly risky but was it more bonkers than leaving the £30m in the bank? It can't affect the results on the field at all there. To be sure it is bonkers you need to know who else was available for £30m.

One way to look at this is that we've been so successful with our transfer policy that we've got pretty much a whole match day squad that can't be improved unless we spend more than £30m on a single player. That means future deals are inherently more risky in terms of money.

10. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Bumper is a word straight out the 1920's

I say old bean i've got a bumper new contract, what what!

11. "Thanks for that Brian"

All very good and valid points. Unfortunately, Sissoko was on the cusp of our cut-off at 27 years old, except for exceptional talents which he clearly wasn't. He had a history of being lazy and lacking in intelligence (on the field and off). He was over-priced and if we'd had a couple of weeks left in the window we would have walked away. We bought in a last minute panic on the back of his performance against our shell of a team in that last game of the season and the Euro's. That's a classic mug punter purchase.

Sissoko was a bad move and everyone except the people who approved it, would have given pretty short odds on it ending up as it has. I was advocating spending all our spare cash in that window as the market was obviously going up and we'd make a profit on decent players. I was dead set against Sissoko. It was a damn bad move, no matter what the motives.

Citizen Kane likes this.
  12. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

GKN is trying to win hearts and minds on his Instagram...

13. The RDBD

Narrative (TM) .
    File it in the shredder labelled "selling club" etc.

14. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

...a Narrative they will ignore if and when Nemanja Matic leaves Chelsea for Man Utd, just like Juan Mata did before him.

15. "Thanks for that Brian"

I wonder how much appetite there is for Real Madrid and Barcelona to shop in England? Prices are eye watering, even for those pirates.

Even Citeh, who have no financial limitations are still unable to land the Bertrand's, Walker's, etc. in the way they shopped in France and Portugal. Southampton can play silly devils over Van Dijk. Siggy's worth £40m+ to Swansea. His talents kept them up and brings in £100m+ every season. Why kill the goose that lays the golden egg for a fraction of that and sell him to Everton?

Has all this money made PL based players so expensive that it's totally a seller's market? Of course, unless you're mad and let the player's contracts run down............

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  16. perrymanlegend

perrymanlegend Well-Known Member

Morning all, just seen this statement on Sky's transfer rumours page- has anyone heard of it and is it any good:

Football Whispers uses a unique algorithm to rank transfer rumours out of 5 based on the likelihood they’ll really happen. So if you’re looking to see who your team’s next big signing is or which manager is the frontrunner in the race to sign on, Football Whispers has it all.

17. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

What other memories do you have from that decade? <whistle>

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  18. The RDBD

They are top of the tree, so they have the biggest appeal to a player.
    And when prices are too high for them, that is where their state-sponsored
    unsettling machines come into play.

"Has all this money made PL based players so expensive that it's totally a seller's market?"

At the moment, all buying PL clubs will suffer transfer fee inflation.

19. The RDBD

How good it is depends on the methods their algorithms use to compute the
    likelihood value of any given proposed transfer. Unique does not mean good.

20. "Thanks for that Brian"

It's being reported that Ryan Sessegnon is to sign a professional contract with Fulham. That probably means he's staying there for now. A shame for us but maybe the right decision for the player based upon Dele Alli's progress through playing competitive football at MK.

Just don't sign for Chelsea, Citeh or United, son. You're too good for that nonsense.

Lovearsenalcock, paultheplug and Roo like this.